Boris Valibik

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 10, 2004
Boris Valabik is a 6'6" 220 pound defenceman that plays for Kitchener. What team will likely draft this guy? I'm hoping the sabres will take him with the 13th pick. Will he be gone by then?

KH1

No way he's gone at the #13 pick. The scoop on Valabik (keep in mind I've never actually see him play) is that he's huge and is an intense player, great hitter but isn't developed enough. If I was ranking defensemen I would have him behind Barker, Thelen, O'Neill and Green in that order.

I would expect him to wind up around #20; if he goes higher then it will be to St. Louis or Montreal.

rupispupis

Apr 26, 2004
#7 said:
Boris Valabik is a 6'6" 220 pound defenceman that plays for Kitchener. What team will likely draft this guy? I'm hoping the sabres will take him with the 13th pick. Will he be gone by then?

I think there will be better D-man available at #13 like Green, O'Neill and Smid.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
#7 said:

With this draft anything is possible from #3 on after. I don't buy into any clear cut #1 defensemen, but if I had to put them in order, Thelen, Barker, Valabik would be my top 3. Valabik could go in the top 10 but if not top 20 for sure, imo. How many gms will pass up on a 6'6 18 year old who hits everything and skates well. He should get bigger which is a scary thought. If the Habs can get him at 18th, I'd be happy.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I hope he drops to the Capitals... His upside, with the right development is immense.

I don't think he's as ready as Barker/Thelen/O'Neil, but with some work, he could be as good as any one of the bunch. His physical tools are just that imposing.

Or he could be a crazy bust.

May 10, 2004
I'm hoping the sabres get this kid. We need to improve our defence. We're weak after Z, Mckee, Kalinin and Brown.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Valabik is one guy in the first round I see going a lot earlier than maybe he should. Teams see a huge, mean d-man, and it might be too much to pass up. I think he could go top-15 if a team just has to have him, which could be very possible.

Last edited:

Potted Plant

May 30, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Visit site
I agree with Seachd. Players like Valabik tend to be fast risers come draft time. Think back to Mathieu Biron, Branislav Mezei, and Dion Phaneuf. When it comes to draft time, GMs see a 6'6" mean defenseman "project" and salivate all over the upside. I bet he's a top 10 pick.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think hes a lock on the top 20 and could get into the top 15, hes just too big with "potential"

Hopefully the team that drafts him gets a Chara and not a Kudroc....

Mats_Hallin

Feb 1, 2004
Since he is a big gritty d-man, can he actually fight or does he turn down the heavyweights?

Devo-2

Apr 1, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
King Henry I said:
No way he's gone at the #13 pick. The scoop on Valabik (keep in mind I've never actually see him play) is that he's huge and is an intense player, great hitter but isn't developed enough. If I was ranking defensemen I would have him behind Barker, Thelen, O'Neill and Green in that order.

I would expect him to wind up around #20; if he goes higher then it will be to St. Louis or Montreal.

I think the CSS final rankings no have Valabik at 6th NA skater and 2nd NA defenseman behind Barker. O'Neill on the other had has slipped into the 20s I believe.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I have been anticipating Valabik blasting up draft lists for a while now. I think he will go in the top 15 and might make it up to the top 10. He's the kind of prospect that NHL scouts are going to drool over.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I'd tend to agree with you Epsilon.

Not many people are going to want to pass up on a 6'6 guy with a mean streak and seemingly decent potential to evolve a bit more of an offensive flair.

I would not be surprised to see him be the #3 d-man picked after Cam Barker and AJ Thelen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad