Books you've enjoyed and recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

Remembering Guy Lafleur: could have used more pics from the great 6 years instead of his helmeted days, and could have been longer. Great cover pic; very good stories. overall v.good (4/5 stars)

Anybody read '67 by Damien Cox?

Been reading bits of the new book at the bookstore on the WHA; some good stories but a poor read.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
The first WHA book was kind of the same way.

Scotty Bowman: A Life in Hockey is one I read often, and both of Punch Imlach's books are really well written.

chooch*

Lowetide said:
The first WHA book was kind of the same way.

Scotty Bowman: A Life in Hockey is one I read often, and both of Punch Imlach's books are really well written.

You read it often? must be good.

What about Larry's book? I like Dick Irvins stuff ie back to you Dick and Brian MacMapleafs books.

Things like Dionnes bio dont interest me.

Was Schultzs book any good?

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
chooch said:
You read it often? must be good.

What about Larry's book? I like Dick Irvins stuff ie back to you Dick and Brian MacMapleafs books.

Things like Dionnes bio dont interest me.

Was Schultzs book any good?

I usually steer clear of biographies they don't really deliver the goods. Brian McFarlane's 50 Years of Hockey (published 1967) is his best book imo, it really covers the NHL in great detail just as expansion dawned.

I like books that actually give inside information, and Imlach's books are terrific. He tells of ripping off other GMs (which he did ) and glosses over the times he got ripped off (which he did) but in his second book he even owns up an a deal that was poor from the get-go.

He was a jerk, but an outstanding writer. There's some funny stuff too, he says things like "after I won the Cup in 1967" and doesn't bat an eye.

Wonder if the players helped, or where they just for window dressing? :lol

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Jay Greenberg's "Full Spectrum" is a must for Flyers' fans but I think many hockey fans would enjoy it, too. Also, Dan Diamond's "Total NHL" is a superb reference book and "Big Bucks and Blue Pucks" (book about the WHA) by Murray Greig.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Evil Sather said:
Phil Esposito's book is a great read, and shows people why he's not the complete dolt everyone made him out to be in regards to Tampa and some of those questionable trades.

Yeah, I loved that book as well. I couldn't believe that Darren Puppa story. I agree it shows he's really determined individual. His stories as a player are great as well.

And of course, the most famous hockey book 'The Hockey Sweater' by Roch Carrier. Obviously it's a kid's book, but it's a classic for young people.

monkey_00*

"Hockey Showdown"......by Harry Sinden

A book about the 1972 Canada-Russia Summit Series......the inside story by Harry Sinden......paperback 125-pages....16-pages of black and white photos......found this rare gem in one of the garage sales around town here in Hamilton......alot of the behind-the-scenes stuff that you won't find anywhere.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Bad Boys-Stan Fischler has written 4 of these on hockeys rougher players and they are all a good read.

Tough Calls-Dick Irvan's book about the Zebras. very good.

Grapes a vintage view of hockey-The one and only Don Cherry's autobiography.

Six Shooters-Dean Spiros wrote this book on the six Sutter Brothers that played in the NHL.

The fight of his life-Very good book on the life of the late John "Rambo" Kordic.

Tales from the Blues bench-A collection of Blues legend Bob Plagers stories from his life in hockey. He has been with the Blues inception in numerous capacities. Player, scout, minor league coach, Pro coach. He has a ton of good stories.

I have a few to add.

The Boys of Winter-Its a book about the 1980 US Olympic teams and has had its own threads on this site it is a very good read.

Brett Hull's autobiography is a good read as well as Gretzky's

Crunch-A book by Kevin Allen of the USA today devoted to hockeys rougher players.

Goon-Written by Doug Smith talking about his career in the game. Found it to be one of my favorite books on this list if not my favorite because it pulls no punches.

Last edited:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I forget the exact title, but it's something like

Kings of the Ice, it's text-book sized and an amazing wealth of information.

Why Is the Stanley Cup in Mario Lemieux's Swimming Pool is also a fun read.

monkey_00*

PAL HAL...written by the late Dick Beddoes

The story of the late Harold Ballard...former owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs...an inside look at the life of Ballard, his family, his close friends like King Clancy and the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey club.

monkey_00*

"CENTRE ICE" The Smythe Family, the Gardens and the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey club

Written by: Thomas Stafford Smythe, with Kevin Shea

Forward by: Wayne Gretzky

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
"Power Plays: An Inside Look at the Big Business of the National Hockey League"

Gil Stein (former President and CEO of the NHL)

lots of interesting behind the scenes stories dealing with subjects the WHA teams being absorbed into the NHL, the 90's expansion, franchise relocations, etc.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Ice Time by Jay Atkinson was a good read, it had nothing to do with the NHL, it was about hockey. Behind the Red Line and The Tropic of Hockey were also good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad