Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
14743.jpg

I read Dawkins’ first book, “The Selfish Gene”, a while back and got into this one recently. Dawkins absolutely bends over religion in this one.

Reactions: kihei and stingo

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Recent travels to Boston and Washington DC had me revisiting Dennis Lehane and George Pelecanos.

Always found Lehane to be solid if a tad overrated, but the Kenzie-Gennaro series delivers. Went back to book one, A Drink Before the War, which is a twisty ride.

Pelecanos is a king though. Went back to King Suckerman (Clay/Karras #1) and picked up A Firing Offense (Nick Stefanos #1) for the first time. Tight plotting, well drawn characters, great sense of place and dialogue that pops. Really propulsive reads.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Train ride to Toronto this afternoon. Have got Johnno by David Malouf and The Stranger by Albert Camus as companions. Will probably read the latter for the umpteeth time first. With that said, does it surprise anyone else that it still hasn't been made in an actual movie? Feels like it would translate well.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
31933085.jpg

Took your advice Kihei ;)

Although “a mans search for meaning” is a great book if you haven’t yet read it. Short enough to read over a day .

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Anyone got some good Dark Fantasy/Horror recommendations that is not from Stephen King?
Joe Hill. As good (or better IMO) as King in his prime, but actually knows how to end a story. NOS4A2 is his best. Cherie Priest is great too, if you are looking for Southern Gothic Horror (or steampunk, she does that too and it's even better).

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
510Q0cdaNRL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The stretch of the Atlantic (off of Virginia Beach) was treacherous before technological advances in water rescue, etc. Chewning documents some of the historic shipwrecks, combined with his own personal connection to, (and interest in) Virginia Beach history..

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I've read a couple of Joe Hill novels. They never quite live up to the potential in them but I do think he has a masterpiece in him.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I've read a few and definitely intend to read more. The Spy Who Came In from the Cold is very good and well worth reading. I'd also recommend The Looking Glass War. It's brilliant, I'm not sure how it isn't among his most well known books.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My two cents on le Carre. If you stay away for Little Drummer Girl, you can hardly go wrong. With that exception, I loved all of his first dozen novels, and though he drops a notch late in his career, his batting average remains stupendously high.

The world of England that he creates in the process takes hold of the imagination every bit as indelibly as those worlds created by Charles Dickens and Agatha Christie. Some fine movies came from these books as well.

Reactions: stingo and GB

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You guys seem to know what your talking about and I appreciate that:

Thoughts and recommendations on books by John Grisham? Have been meaning to read him but I don't know where to start.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
While we're talking about Joe Hill and John Le Carre I'd like to recommend the novel Tigerman by Le Carre's son Nick Harkaway/

I've never read anything by John Grisham.

I read Paper Lion a decade+ ago and came across this in the library today

9780224100410.jpg

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Wow, really? I actually stumbled upon that book at the book store a couple days ago, thought of buying but didn't go through with it. My only experience with Bellows was The Theft and I loathed it. Might go back to get this one then. Hopefully it's still there.

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
It’s very , very good . Bellows is a heck of a writer . Highly recommend. I’m about 50% into it. Taking my time with it. This is my first book by Bellows , so don’t know about his other work but put both Herzog and The adventures of Augie March on my list to read soon.

I’ll post my thoughts on this one after I finish.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
fc08773e-5a5e-4163-8dd8-9ab4e8160ede_1.0196f1397656d1efb7bb744c5d4b6b6b.jpeg

Part 1 of 3.

The first part is primarily addressing from 1871 to 1933 and the politics of the day that led to everything pretty much collapsing and paving the way for those to take power.

Reactions: stingo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad