Recalled/Assigned: Boo Nieves

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He's going to have a nice career. He bears a lot of similarities to our last Michigan kid, Hagelin. Smart, responsible, can play in all situations. He has better hands than Hagelin, better vision. Not the battler that Hags is and not the tireless forechecker. Not as physically engaged. Not AS fast but still an excellent skater. If his development continues I think he becomes a guy who consistently scores 10-15 goals with 20+ assists. He'll be able to play on any line and fit in.

For some reason when I think of this kid I think of a guys that is barely 6 ft and 195lbs.

Keep forgetting g that he has good size at 6'3" and almost 220.

That's Kreider territory.

Hopefully he forces the Rangers to make some tough decisions with the forwards when everyone is healthy

When Nives was drafted, there was talk of him as the poor man's Kreider:

Fast, but not as fast.
Big, but not as big.
Decent shot, but nowhere as hard.

Nieves sees the ice better than Kreider.

He's poor man's Kreider w/o the beast factor
very poor man's Larkin due to less skill to date. but he is just a kid right now remember

who needs Bouwmeester
we have Boo-meister! yay

ya got me trippin, Boo
expect you to earn the bernmeister seal of approval

Last edited:

Narcissus

Jul 4, 2009
He's poor man's Kreider w/o the beast factor
very poor man's Larkin due to less skill to date. but he is just a kid right now remember

who needs Bouwmeester
we have Boo-meister! yay

ya got me trippin, Boo
expect you to earn the bernmeister seal of approval

Does that mean you will try to trade him for Taylor Hall?

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
p_578215937_large.jpg

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Had a few turnovers last night. Nervous with the puck a bit. Got lost in his own zone a few times as well. He looked like an inexperienced rookie. He needs more time in the AHL.

A lesser Kreider and Larkin i'm reading?

That guy is out to lunch as usual. Complete insanity to even compare Boo to those guys.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Fourth game in 5 nights. And he had to fly out the day before.

All that considered, not bad.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Yeah he was definitely shaky last night. I like him but I think the smarter call-up would've been Hrivik. Boo needs to develop his offensive skills more.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Had a few turnovers last night. Nervous with the puck a bit. Got lost in his own zone a few times as well. He looked like an inexperienced rookie. He needs more time in the AHL.

That guy is out to lunch as usual. Complete insanity to even compare Boo to those guys.

I'd be careful about drawing strong conclusions from last night's game. He didn't look all that different than Dubinsky in his first NHL game.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He had some good, had some so-so moments. It doesn't help that he's playing with a stuck in mud Lindberg who can't keep up with him or Pirri.

It's fine though, this is a 1-3 game cup of coffee. He'll go down, hopefully gain some confidence, and then if he gets called up again look even better.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
road game a zillion miles from home and running on pure adrenaline. jitters and nerves would be expected.

i think he was fine and will be just fine.

his game is all about his length and speed- same as its been since he was in juniors.

his hands and offensive game are still developing but will never be elite.

a good comparison is a bigger faster dom moore or carl hagelin with better size.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Boo will be a good 3rd/4th liner in this league eventually.

But he does need more grooming in Hartford.

Hrivik wouldve been a much better call up but the problem is waivers.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

1 game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ok? And he isn't ready. Plain and simple. Hrivik should have been the recall but waivers prevented that.

I like Boo Nieves. Doesn't mean he is ready for NHL minutes.

Boo Nieves had 5 hectic days. Look at this:

Friday: Played with the Wolf Pack in Rochester
Satrday: Played with the Wolf Pack in Utica
Sunday: Played with the Wolf Pack in Hartford
Monday: Flying from Hartford to Vancouver
Tuesday: Played with the Rangers in Vancouver

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Ok? And he isn't ready. Plain and simple. Hrivik should have been the recall but waivers prevented that.

I think it's an emergency recall, so no player would be subject to waivers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think it's an emergency recall, so no player would be subject to waivers.

Emergency Recall
Players on loan to an affiliated league may be recalled without waivers under emergency conditions, established when injury, illness or suspensions result in the availability of fewer than two goalkeepers, six defensemen and twelve forwards. Players recalled under emergency conditions must be returned as soon as the emergency is over.

For purposes of determining emergency conditions, players on loan at the trade deadline are considered to be on loan for the remainder of the season and playoffs, even if the minor league club's season is finished.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Definitely not NHL ready yet which isn't surprising since he just started pro hockey. Give him a good solid year in the AHL and I'll be excited to him come training came next season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

You are writting him off as lesser Kreider/Larkin after 1 game.

Yes i agree that those are lofty standards but Boo playing subpar in 1 game changes nothing about him.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Didn't look that good but the holes in his game were manageable.

If you look at the Hartford thread, that's what I wrote a couple weeks ago. He can be plugged in in a sheltered situation with limited responsibility, but not if he has to be a regular top-12.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If you look at the Hartford thread, that's what I wrote a couple weeks ago. He can be plugged in in a sheltered situation with limited responsibility, but not if he has to be a regular top-12.

Does Hartford still play zone D?

At times Boo looked like he was having trouble figuring out who he was suppose to be covering.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Boo will be a good 3rd/4th liner in this league eventually.

But he does need more grooming in Hartford.

Hrivik wouldve been a much better call up but the problem is waivers.

There's no problem with waivers. Once a player has cleared waivers, if/when they are recalled they would have to play 10 games or stay on the NHL roster for 30 days to have to go through waivers again.

I'm not 100% sure about emergency recalls, but am pretty sure it has to do with not counting against the limit of recalls allowed during the season regardless of whether a player is subject to waivers or not.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
There's no problem with waivers. Once a player has cleared waivers, if/when they are recalled they would have to play 10 games or stay on the NHL roster for 30 days to have to go through waivers again.

I'm not 100% sure about emergency recalls, but am pretty sure it has to do with not counting against the limit of recalls allowed during the season regardless of whether a player is subject to waivers or not.

So your saying there's a chance to see TANNER? He will lead us to the promise land for 9 games before being sent back to the A

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->