Recalled/Assigned: Boo Nieves

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Just glad AV didnt recall Glass.

Theres too many other options. Boo, Hrivik, or Jensen all wouldve have been fine. Boo not requiring waivers helped his case a lot.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ugh, glad to see Boo but that must mean that CK or Buch (or both) are gonna be out for the foreseeable future...not good...

The Nieves recall means that those injuries probably aren't long term, plus Jooris should come back at some point here. If they were expecting to need someone for a while, I think Hrivik would've been recalled. As it is, this is a good opportunity to give a solid prospect a boost and convenient because he doesn't need waivers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Spent 4 years in the NCAA and those players often get overlooked unless they put up big numbers. I think Nieves will surprise a lot of people in the next 3 years.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
AV is high on Boo. That is a good thing. That being said, this is his sip of tea for the NHL. Don't see it lasting long.

But...it will likely leave him hungry for more, and drive him even more while he's back down in Hartford.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Spent 4 years in the NCAA and those players often get overlooked unless they put up big numbers. I think Nieves will surprise a lot of people in the next 3 years.

They seem to like this kid . I'm all for another good young player being added . Take a peak now and he may carve a roster spot sooner rather than later

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
For some reason when I think of this kid I think of a guys that is barely 6 ft and 195lbs.

Keep forgetting g that he has good size at 6'3" and almost 220.

That's Kreider territory.

Hopefully he forces the Rangers to make some tough decisions with the forwards when everyone is healthy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
For some reason when I think of this kid I think of a guys that is barely 6 ft and 195lbs.

Hopefully he forces the Rangers to make some tough decisions with the forwards when everyone is healthy

If he were more assertive physically and just move aggressive in general he could be a force. That's not his game though. On pure skill, he's probably tops in our system at the moment (excluding Buchnevich and Vesey).

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Good move and kid is fast! More speed ;)
Just sucks to not see Hrivik get a chance. Guy busted his butt when he was up last year and preseason. He should have had his chance last year but instead the useless glass took it but I digress

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

When Nives was drafted, there was talk of him as the poor man's Kreider:

Fast, but not as fast.
Big, but not as big.
Decent shot, but nowhere as hard.

Nieves sees the ice better than Kreider.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
big news around this area. I've seen this kid play since he was 10 yrs old.

local stars kid who is getting his chance. there have been quite a few.

his size and skating are off the charts. his hands and ability to engage physically need work. he's skilled but more of a passer. hell earn his paycheck as a taller, faster dom moore type. honest, hard worker who can chip in and play the pk. as a match up 4C/3C- which is where i see him settling eventually, hell be a nightmare. 6'3 220 and can shut guys down. wheels like that and size means hell have an nhl career. plus he's got the game to play up as well so he's versatile in that way. not much of a finisher. never has been.

great kid and family. really excited for boo and this chance. seems to have already endeared himself to av who raves about his size and stride

another good looking prospect to build around.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's funny--for having one of the worst prospect pools in the league we've added three rookies this year, Vesey, Buchnevich and Skjei who are all amongst the best new players in the league this year and here comes Nieves who also looks like he's going to be a for real NHL player.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It's funny--for having one of the worst prospect pools in the league we've added three rookies this year, Vesey, Buchnevich and Skjei who are all amongst the best new players in the league this year and here comes Nieves who also looks like he's going to be a for real NHL player.

not one of the worst prospect pools. perhaps better described as one that lacks high end talent. when you dont draft in the top 10 of the 1st round, you tend to lack that blue chip type player.

we do pretty well finding value in lower rounds and signing other teams more skilled fa's.

kovaks, stromwall, gropp, zborovskiy,and ryan graves all look like keepers.

shesty, halverson, skaper and huska are all good prospects with shesty looking like a legit #1 for sure.

when your best prospect is a high end goaltender, and you have 2 or perhaps 3 minders in your top 10 or so, thats a plus imo.

im a big sergey zborovskiy fan. i think he's gonna be a real solid defensive guy the road for this organization. has all the measurables- 6'4, 210 plus a nasty edge to his game. he's a righty with a big time shot too. i think he's an under the radar guy.

good read here on him.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/hockey...ng-friendships-aside-for-canada-russia-series

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

The Rangers are one of the fewer teams in the league that use the Detroit model of letting kids cook and then contribute right away.

Boo's got things to work on. Shooting more. Being Decisive with the shot.

But the rest of the package has a lot to like. He's a really good puckhandler at his top speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad