GDT: Bonjour les Voisins! Ne pas! Le Hahahaha!

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Interesting. A trend worth paying attention to.

If Faulk really does need a stay-at-home partner D and Klas best fits that role, it may mean we've got a good aggressive D-man that we really are better off moving for assets.
It also means it's all the more silly to have Faulk as a part-time C when he is more in need of a veteran mentor than having the capacity to be one.

As Hakan Loob once said, if you don't have the capacity you don't have the captaincy. Ok, he didn't say that, but always good to toss a Loobie out there.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It also means it's all the more silly to have Faulk as a part-time C when he is more in need of a veteran mentor than having the capacity to be one.

Of the reasons Faulk doesn't deserve the C, and there are many IMHO, this isn't one of them. This is more a question of playing style and role. They're clearly asking Faulk to lean heavily on his offense, which is why he's top-50(-ish) in the NHL in shots.

Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Of the reasons Faulk doesn't deserve the C, and there are many IMHO, this isn't one of them. This is more a question of playing style and role. They're clearly asking Faulk to lean heavily on his offense, which is why he's top-50(-ish) in the NHL in shots.
The fact that he isn't a leader with so many young guys on the roster, especially on D, isn't one of them? That's beyond absurd. That is THE reason.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I think the Canes need to consider moving Fleury down to the AHL for a bit so he can continue to get some playing time if they feel comfortable with Klas & Faulk. Fleury doesn't deserve to be sent down, but there's just no room. Having him ride the bench at his age can't be good for his development.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yes, of course that's the reason.

But his D partner has literally nothing to do with whether he's being a leader or not.
Agreed on the first part clearly. The point is that a good leader should be a calming influence on the ice, not one who needs a calming influence. As a veteran and a C, he couldn't offer this with Fleury. It does go beyond pairings but it also speaks directly to leadership or lack thereof in my view.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Supposedly Nordstrom didn't practice today after blocking that late game shot. Kruger left practice early.

I vote we give these two guys a night off to heal up and maybe call up Wallmark, Foegele, or Zykov for a game. We need to start finding excuses to try out these guys at the NHL level.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
The fact that he isn't a leader with so many young guys on the roster, especially on D, isn't one of them? That's beyond absurd. That is THE reason.

Based on interviews with the young players, I get the impression that they do view him as a leader...teaching them things in practice and sticking up for them on the ice.

He's the most physical D-man, has the best shot, still 1a 1b with Slavin in terms of ice time, and has more than double the game experience of any other D-man on the roster.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I think he's a fine captain.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The point is that a good leader should be a calming influence on the ice, not one who needs a calming influence. As a veteran and a C, he couldn't offer this with Fleury. It does go beyond pairings but it also speaks directly to leadership or lack thereof in my view.
I don't agree with this. He is being asked to do a job, and that is bring the offense (shoot the puck), and sometimes that means taking more risks. If his partner is causing him to feel like he can't pinch as much, as an easy example, then that is not at all indicative of a lack of leadership...in fact, it's kind of indicative of leadership in the sense that he is playing more conservatively.

However, I do not for a moment believe that Klas Dahlbeck is they key to Faulk's improved play.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Agreed on the first part clearly. The point is that a good leader should be a calming influence on the ice, not one who needs a calming influence. As a veteran and a C, he couldn't offer this with Fleury. It does go beyond pairings but it also speaks directly to leadership or lack thereof in my view.

I disagree.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I don't agree with this. He is being asked to do a job, and that is bring the offense (shoot the puck), and sometimes that means taking more risks. If his partner is causing him to feel like he can't pinch as much, as an easy example, then that is not at all indicative of a lack of leadership...in fact, it's kind of indicative of leadership in the sense that he is playing more conservatively.

However, I do not for a moment believe that Klas Dahlbeck is they key to Faulk's improved play.
It's not Faulk playing more conservatively, it's him playing without grit, fight or passion for much of the year (compared to years past). Try to camouflage or spin it any way you want, that is not leadership in my book. Maybe there was an undisclosed injury, but he should be leading by example and he hasn't. Not much more complicated than that.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It's not Faulk playing more conservatively, it's him playing without grit, fight or passion for much of the year (compared to years past). Try to camouflage or spin it any way you want, that is not leadership in my book. Maybe there was an undisclosed injury, but he should be leading by example and he hasn't. Not much more complicated than that.
Your opinion. I don't agree with that analysis because I don't see a difference in his grit, fight, or passion (the dreaded "intangibles", btw). I do think he has had an uptick in brain farts, however, and that is my problem with him this year, rather than anything surrounding the concept of "leadership".

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Your opinion. I don't agree with that analysis because I don't see a difference in his grit, fight, or passion (the dreaded "intangibles", btw). I do think he has had an uptick in brain farts, however, and that is my problem with him this year, rather than anything surrounding the concept of "leadership".
Yes, my post contains my opinion. ;)

I've seen the brain farts too but it's the cause of them that is the concern. He too often makes them as a result of drifting out of position, gliding and sometimes indifferent play. Not sure what's going with him but he is not nearly as engaged as even last year. Many fans were calling for Eric Staal's C for many of the same on-ice issues, citing a lack of leadership.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

I guess I don't quite see it that way. Faulk's issues this season (defensively) seem to be brain fart types of deals...not paying attention to detail. He's also wildly off with his shot (although that seems to be improving ever so slightly).

I, too, was at the game last night and I thought it was a bit of a "messy" affair at intermittent times. Lots of conservative play (but I agree w/BBA, lots of pinching from the back end). There were several times when defenders in particular backed away from the puck, when they might have had a chance to move to it, launching a rush....but they didn't, and rightly so as if they didn't execute quickly enough or properly, the break away would have been going the other way.

Also, while Rask had a misplay or two, I thought he played about as well as Lindy last night. Jeff Skinner was seemingly confused all night. He'd make a good pass followed by a pass to nobody. Lindy tried his best, but when that line is clearly dependent on Skinner's offense to start the fire, it looks like a shit show....which is exactly what Justin Williams was last night. I love the guy and just think he was off last night, but I counted at least 4 different times when he passed the puck to a Hab going the other way.

Cam Ward was outstanding. I think, for the time being, I'd ride Cam a bit, maybe something closer to a 60/40 split....and see if Darling can get some confidence back.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I guess I don't quite see it that way. Faulk's issues this season (defensively) seem to be brain fart types of deals...not paying attention to detail. He's also wildly off with his shot (although that seems to be improving ever so slightly).

I, too, was at the game last night and I thought it was a bit of a "messy" affair at intermittent times. Lots of conservative play (but I agree w/BBA, lots of pinching from the back end). There were several times when defenders in particular backed away from the puck, when they might have had a chance to move to it, launching a rush....but they didn't, and rightly so as if they didn't execute quickly enough or properly, the break away would have been going the other way.

Also, while Rask had a misplay or two, I thought he played about as well as Lindy last night. Jeff Skinner was seemingly confused all night. He'd make a good pass followed by a pass to nobody. Lindy tried his best, but when that line is clearly dependent on Skinner's offense to start the fire, it looks like a **** show....which is exactly what Justin Williams was last night. I love the guy and just think he was off last night, but I counted at least 4 different times when he passed the puck to a Hab going the other way.

Cam Ward was outstanding. I think, for the time being, I'd ride Cam a bit, maybe something closer to a 60/40 split....and see if Darling can get some confidence back.
Faulk has been more assertive during the last 7-8 games but too often has been passive if not lazy without the puck this year.

Agreed about JWill and Skinner last night. Though Lindholm was just ok but Rask only so-so. Then again, he's been so consistently invisible we have a low bar for him. How in the world does he have only 3 assists with so many minutes? Says a lot about him floating on the perimeter although he's made a more concerted effort lately to get down low.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I agree. PIT is banged up, no Rust, Murray, Letang, Schultz and one other. If we can stay disciplined (PIT is near the bottom of the league in 5x5 scoring) and stay out of the box while throwing tons of shots at Jarry (he was good against COL and BUF but Darling-esque against nearly everyone else), we have a chance. Toying with our 4th line a little may be a safe bet this game.

Supposedly Nordstrom didn't practice today after blocking that late game shot. Kruger left practice early.

I vote we give these two guys a night off to heal up and maybe call up Wallmark, Foegele, or Zykov for a game. We need to start finding excuses to try out these guys at the NHL level.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Staal was lazy (and based on his play in the season opener, still is)
Faulk is not lazy.

It's nearly shocking to me that you're making that comparison.
Staal was often lazy to be sure, but here's the difference. I wrote "Faulk has been more assertive during the last 7-8 games but too often has been passive if not lazy without the puck this year."

Note the difference? I stand by the comment that he has been lazy at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad