Post-Game Talk: Bolts @ Caps, 8PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My take on 65 still relies on who is coaching this team next season.

Used to be with you on that but I think I'm past that. Vrana and Stephenson are rookies who are both way ahead of Burakovsky and they have Trotz as their coach. Wilson has taken significant steps forward under Trotz. Kuznetsov has become a superstar under Trotz.

This is on Burakovsky. He's still young but he's running out of time and excuses. I'd maaaaybe be willing to give him another half season or so to see if he can stay healthy and find his game but I'm 99% done with him regardless of who is coaching the team next year.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Used to be with you on that but I think I'm past that. Vrana and Stephenson are rookies who are both way ahead of Burakovsky and they have Trotz as their coach. Wilson has taken significant steps forward under Trotz. Kuznetsov has become a superstar under Trotz.

This is on Burakovsky. He's still young but he's running out of time and excuses. I'd maaaaybe be willing to give him another half season or so to see if he can stay healthy and find his game but I'm 99% done with him regardless of who is coaching the team next year.
Stephenson is older than Burakovsky and plays a much more Trotz-style game. Vrana has leapfrogged Bura this year, but Bura showed similar promise his rookie year. This isn't just a blanket statement about Trotz's record developing young players, this is a specific mismatch between Trotz and Burakovsky.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Stephenson is older than Burakovsky and plays a much more Trotz-style game. Vrana has leapfrogged Bura this year, but Bura showed similar promise his rookie year. This isn't just a blanket statement about Trotz's record developing young players, this is a specific mismatch between Trotz and Burakovsky.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on there. I don't know that another coach can get Burakovsky to "think" the game any better. I think you just have to hope, if the Caps keep him, that regardless of who is coaching the team that the lightbulb turns on at some point.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Bura has nothing 1 on 1. He has the speed and shot, passing meh but he is a shoot first guy that needs a possession hog to lug the mail. He needs to pattern himself more off of Conno less off Eller/Oshie and just shoot shoot shoot. Barry wants him to grind and it would be ok that he sucks, if he was scoring goals. It's tough for our left shot snipers because they are PPHomeless. PPGs are how you pad stats fool everyone get paid and not scratched.

Right now the less puck on his blade the better. He needs to shoot and linemates crash the net off the rush. Use the D in his face as a screen. Keep it simple snipers.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Let's play a game.

I suck at coaching.

I can't make adjustments.

Whatever I decide three months in advance is what I'm sticking with even though other coaches change their lineups.

In the playoffs I'll insert my most garbo overrated youngster into the lineup for no reason even though my track record says I hate players like him.

He'll suck really hard but I'll stick to my guns even though I have no guns.

I need fired.

Who am I?

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Vrana has developed in spite of trotz. He has high hockey IQ. Burky is a hockey idiot with a ton of talent. But for whatever reason Trotz has been more willing to put him into high pressure situations. I think it's organizational forced to be honest. Vrana is clearly better than 65 already and he's younger, smarter and more willing to play in the areas a player like 13/65 don't like to be.

Shoulda traded burt while he had value. He's pretty much worthless now in terms of value.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Is Trotz to blame for Bura being unable to stand up on skates if someone so much as leans on him?
Not at all, we took a risk on a late round pick with a ton of talent and no hockey IQ hoping that we could mold him into a star. He then came to NA and played on Connor McDavid's wing where he looked like hockey jesus cause he didn't have to think. McDavid did all the thinking for him and allowed him to simply use his talent. Unfortunately it's not working out as a pro and I don't see any chance where it does now. Burky just unfortunately has no hockey game. He's supremely talented and a fantastic one on one player but when the game of hocking is being played he's out of his element.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What's better in the short-term: Burakovsky for another year or Kempny re-signed for two to three seasons @ ~$2.5-3M plus whatever Burakovsky returns in a trade? There are perhaps other ways to keep Kempny in the fold along with Carlson but this could be one of the many decisions to make. It's not just Burakovsky the player but the $3M cap hit and following $3.25M QO.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Bura seems oft injured. He may be more injured than we know of. Including right now. He FLASHes a little high end talent just often enough keep everyone wanting more. Coming back from surgery into the loffs is not his thing. He needs games before we can expect him to explode for a few goals.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Burt is lost if the play requires even the slightest bit of decision-making and he's knocked down by a stiff breeze. Connolly has shown a comparable shot/release plus at least some ability to forecheck and win a battle here and there.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan and g00n

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
What's better in the short-term: Burakovsky for another year or Kempny re-signed for two to three seasons @ ~$2.5-3M plus whatever Burakovsky returns in a trade? There are perhaps other ways to keep Kempny in the fold along with Carlson but this could be one of the many decisions to make. It's not just Burakovsky the player but the $3M cap hit and following $3.25M QO.

IMO at this point, it's hard to think of players that one would want rather part with, over Bura, in a cap crunch scenario. Yeah, I'd rather have Kempny on a reasonable deal.
I mean, it would be nice to give Bura one more year under some offensive genius to see if the bulb goes off, but that's a luxury/fantasy.

I'll root for him to blossom if he stays, but can't really justify it any more. Just don't see any improvements in his game.

The Swedish wingers have really not panned out for the Caps -- Gustafsson, Mojo (sorta), Burakovsky.... Forsberg, haha.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
P
Booing the team tied 2-2 was poor from. Caps prob happy to be on the road.
Biggest game in caps history since the last biggest game. Please win for once.
Was at the game. Dont know what the hell all the booing was about. It was not the whole arena, just a bounch of drunk idiots. But yea that was shameful. The whole crowd was really emotinal and drunk. When oshie drew a penalty the whole place erupted. I didint catch that play and jumped up with the crowd thinking he scored. Looking at the scoredboard like wtf why is
It still 2-2. The whole place erupted over a powerplay

Reactions: JMUcapsfan07

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Need Holtby to stand on his head next game. He certainly hasn't been "the problem" but he has been out played these last two games.
Do you guys just look at stats or do you watch the games. Vasi wasnt any better than Holtby. Most if Vasi saves were shots right at him. He didn't really make many great saves. The best 2 saves of the game were made by Holtby. Stopping Johnson on a breakaway and then Kucherov from point blank.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Do you guys just look at stats or do you watch the games. Vasi wasnt any better than Holtby. Most if Vasi saves were shots right at him. He didn't really make many great saves. The best 2 saves of the game were made by Holtby. Stopping Johnson on a breakaway and then Kucherov from point blank.

You sure do carry a candle for Holtby don’t you? I thought he was pretty good, but the bottom line is who scored more. He wasn’t his best last game.

You either get the job done in the postseason or your team goes home. He along with his teammates needs to be better to win the Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Booing the team tied 2-2 was poor from. Caps prob happy to be on the road.
Biggest game in caps history since the last biggest game. Please win for once.

It was embarrassing. Glad it was just a small minority but we've got to be better as fans. Yes this team has disappointed us for years and we're starved for a championship but it's not worth turning on them and looking like pricks. Even if they never make it all the way at least we can look back and say we were awesome fans through all the letdowns. Would hate to have no championships and not even have that.

I understand how it happens. I'm pissed after bad losses too and sometimes have that very brief period where I actually resent the team before I move on but cmon it's just sports. They want it even more than we do

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You sure do carry a candle for Holtby don’t you? I thought he was pretty good, but the bottom line is who scored more. He wasn’t his best last game.

You either get the job done in the postseason or your team goes home. He along with his teammates needs to be better to with the Cup.
I like Holtby but when he is playing bad he is playing bad. Right now he isn't playing bad. He isn't stealing any games for us in this series though. He might have to do that for us to advance. He definitely isn't being outplayed by Vasi.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I like Holtby but when he is playing bad he is playing bad. Right now he isn't playing bad. He isn't stealing any games for us in this series though. He might have to do that for us to advance. He definitely isn't being outplayed by Vasi.

He was last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->