Player Discussion BoJesus-Jangles Horvat

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He's got 7 points in 11 games, +2, and logging important minutes on a team that's currently hitting way above their weight.

He might've made a bad play in OT, but to be "disappointed" with Horvat so far this season is pretty silly.

Horvat didn't actually make a bad play. If he scores there, the game is over and he's a hero. The problem is that he's so focused on attacking that he doesn't understand that his wingers are not defensive stalwarts. They attack too. Which then leaves the line deep in the Ozone when the play is turned over. Essentially, Baertschi and Horvat haven't worked out the balance between attacking and defending. It's all attack with this line.

The point about his conversion (his points) has already been made. His counting stats are right on track. It's the need to see his game evolve to another level... I'm not seeing him do that, yet.

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Everyone knows I’m the biggest Horvat homer there is but I agree with @Ronning On Empty i want to see him elevate his game. There’s still a lot of time and I’ll give him the benefit of adjusting to a new system but we want to see more than stagnating from last year.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Bo is much more of a speedy, north-south, goal-scoring power forward than a playmaker. Every time he races up the ice, his first instinct is to try the outside-inside toe drag that worked so successfully for him in the OHL. He is guilty of tunnel-vision at times.

He has a tendency to drive directly to the net and circle the crease for rebound goals; he forechecks hard along the boards, evading defenders with shifty pivots and hounding the puck with his strength. That said, he doesn't have much of an east-west game nor is he particularly creative.

At full speed, the quality of his shots deteriorates. When he isn't flying up the ice, he is usually able to place the puck on net where he intends to shoot it; when he shoots it upon entering the zone at full speed, however, he almost always puts it wide. His shot is hard, and he fires it quickly off of his stick. He needs to learn how to better control his shots at full flight, and he needs to add new rush elements to his game than his usual outside-inside toe drag, particularly involving east-west movement that could open up lanes for teammates. His method of attack is predictable and not diverse.

He is a shoot-first power center, and his game hasn't yet evolved beyond what we've seen over the past calendar year.

Last edited:

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Could have had an elite play making winger like say a Nylander feeding him on his bull rushes and play in front of the net.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Whether you're on team tank/Anti-benning/playoff push/Pro-Beginning I think everyone can unanimously agree that having Bo on a 6 year, 5.5 million contract was a steal and a huge win for the franchise.

Bo's value on the team is immense, even if he'll never really be a "true franchise 1C"

here's to hoping our boy recovers 100%

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Whether you're on team tank/Anti-benning/playoff push/Pro-Beginning I think everyone can unanimously agree that having Bo on a 6 year, 5.5 million contract was a steal and a huge win for the franchise.

Bo's value on the team is immense, even if he'll never really be a "true franchise 1C"

here's to hoping our boy recovers 100%

I don't know about a "steal." It was a good contract for both sides.

From Horvat's perspective, he only loses 2 seasons where he would have been eligible for UFA, and hits free agency at pretty much the perfect time. In return for losing 2 years of UFA he is getting paid extremely well in his RFA years.

A steal would be something like Rakell's contract. Bo's is at best fair.

Reactions: timw33

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I don't know about a "steal." It was a good contract for both sides.

From Horvat's perspective, he only loses 2 seasons where he would have been eligible for UFA, and hits free agency at pretty much the perfect time. In return for losing 2 years of UFA he is getting paid extremely well in his RFA years.

A steal would be something like Rakell's contract. Bo's is at best fair.

Its a steal when you consider how much he means to the team. If Rakell goes out the ducks are still fine. Horvat is by far the #1 option in all situations on the ice as a C. Horvat goes out and this team goes from a playoff position to giving up 36 goals in 7 games. And hes 2 years younger. Moving forward it will be a steal. Hes the heart and soul of the team.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Horvats game has been more than fine, sure we’d like him to take it to another level but in due time... he’s been carrying this team with very little help. I’m not seeing anything with him that’s concerning, he continues to get better and better each season and this year he’s taken over the top line center job and playing tougher mins. I like the season Horvats having and I’m sure next year he’ll break out even more. Horvat is already a boarderline 1st line center.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Its a steal when you consider how much he means to the team. If Rakell goes out the ducks are still fine. Horvat is by far the #1 option in all situations on the ice as a C. Horvat goes out and this team goes from a playoff position to giving up 36 goals in 7 games. And hes 2 years younger. Moving forward it will be a steal. Hes the heart and soul of the team.
if anything that just speaks volumes as to how far we still really are from becoming a legitimate playoff team, let alone a contender

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

By this logic literally any contract we could have given him would be a "steal."

It's a good contract. Fair for both sides. Not everything needs to be the best or worst thing ever.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Um...what? Take away Rakell from Getzlaf, Perry, Silfverberg, Kesler, not to forget their amazing defense, of course you're not going to see as big of an impact as taking Bo away from the Canucks when he is associated with crap.

Put Bo on Anaheim, then take him away, the Ducks still manage - he's important to this team because the Canucks are shit and have no one other than Boeser to really step up.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Time to bump this up
24 pts in 34 games that is a 58 pts pace which will be his highest pts season
Missing 6 weeks seem like nothing for him, despite being label as a two way C, Bo Jesus just keep getting better and better offensively.
What a player, I say he is currently the biggest enemy for us team tank
And yes, he is definitely the next Captain and it's not even close

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
His underlying numbers have improved too, Horvat’s defensive game has been pretty overrated for a while now but he’s starting to put it together and is slowly turning into a legitimately good two-way center, and possession driver.

Looks like he’ll be a ~60 point center that oozes intangibles and leadership. As we know those are some of the hardest players to find on the market place. This is a player thats progressed every season since being drafted, worked his way up from the 4th line and is now anchoring the teams 1st at 23 years of age.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
^22* Agreed though that he'll be a solid 60 point center for a while...which is not all that far off from what Toews was... pretty sure Bo will never have the same defensive game, but if he could make the jump to being a 70 point guy while maintaining his current defensive game or improving... that's a top-15 center in the league.

Thanks Gillis!

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Now on a 60 point per 82 game pace. Doing this while getting less than half o-zone starts and also kills penalties. The guy is a stud and would be the perfect #2 centre if Pettersson can develops into a 1C.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Now on a 60 point per 82 game pace. Doing this while getting less than half o-zone starts and also kills penalties. The guy is a stud and would be the perfect #2 centre if Pettersson can develops into a 1C.
Yeah I agree that would be a great 1. 2 punch, but I dont see Petterson as a center in this league (isnt he only about 165 pounds?) . Hopefully Im wrong.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't think his development is done yet. Actually, I'm going to say it is because every time someone places a ceiling on him he crashes right through it. Best and most valuable player on this team.

Reactions: Index

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I don't think his development is done yet. Actually, I'm going to say it is because every time someone places a ceiling on him he crashes right through it. Best and most valuable player on this team.
I also don’t get why ppl put his ceiling as 2C
If he becomes a regular 60 pts Center, that’s a borderline 1C

He

Jul 2, 2015
Winnipeg
Man I remember being so confused and a little disappointed on why they picked this guy over Nichuskin.... thank goodness I was wrong!

Reactions: Nucker101

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
54 GP 38 pts
Despite missing 18 games and having no legit linemate support other than Boeser, he’s still on pace for 57 pts in a full season, which will be his career high.
I freaking love this guy, to me he’s the second most important piece in this franchise behind Pettersson and infront of Boeser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->