Bodychek

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
Hi guys , My little brother start today to put bodychek on ice hockey (He's at Bantam AA camp) . I want to help him to how taking and put bodychek . And some help about how to start play hockey with bodychek can't be worst .

Thanks for the help

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Idk if being close to the boards is the best thing since it's easy to pop a shoulder out if your about to get nailed. But not much I can recommend cept be strong on your skates both ways. And when hitting, use your legs to get power...leaning into the guy works, but you want to get more force and power with your legs especially hip checks.

arcticwinter

Apr 16, 2005
hitting is all about angling.you close off a players skating room and rub him out.when you are being hit if you snug tight to the boards and catch the check[absorb it with your stick and gloves low] you'll be better off.if you get in a scary position i believe you pull your head up to the sky and do not tuck it to your chest.open ice hits are very rare,cause injuries and are being phased out of the game.
to get better at this,pivoting and lateral movement drills are very good as well as controlled contact drills.but dont go by what i say,get a hitting instructional video or bring in a hitting instructor for a clinic.
a shifty unpredictable ,quick player that sees the ice well is rarely hit.

PhilMerwin187

Aug 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
www.pbnation.com
Idk if being close to the boards is the best thing since it's easy to pop a shoulder out if your about to get nailed. But not much I can recommend cept be strong on your skates both ways. And when hitting, use your legs to get power...leaning into the guy works, but you want to get more force and power with your legs especially hip checks.

The kid's a bantam...he's not going to be popping his shoulder out.

Being close to the boards is a lot different from being off the boards. When you're close to the boards, (i.e. touching them) you can get hit into the boards and push off into the opponent.

Have him hit with his shoulder and drive with his legs. If he's playing Bantam AA, he should have some decent skating skillz, so I don't think he'll have too much trouble adjusting.

Hold up, I just thought of this: Checking starts in PeeWee. Did your brother just start Hockey or what?

-Phil

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
The kid's a bantam...he's not going to be popping his shoulder out.

Being close to the boards is a lot different from being off the boards. When you're close to the boards, (i.e. touching them) you can get hit into the boards and push off into the opponent.

Have him hit with his shoulder and drive with his legs. If he's playing Bantam AA, he should have some decent skating skillz, so I don't think he'll have too much trouble adjusting.

Hold up, I just thought of this: Checking starts in PeeWee. Did your brother just start Hockey or what?

-Phil

In Quebec , cheking start Bantam

CanadianCommie

Cold North Comrade
Jul 25, 2006
Sherwood Park, AB
the "train tracks" is always the worst. I'm sure we all know the open-ice hit can be deadly, so I'll share a few stories from when I played competitive minor league hockey...

One of my first bodycheck games in peewee (when hitting started in Alberta), I took an elbow to the gut when attempting an open-ice hit. The guy dropped int oa crouch, and lunged for my midsection. So, if you want him to avoid being sprawled on the ice, breathless, then make sure he keeps his arms low, protecting his mid-section, and lead with his shoulders...but also remember to keep a low centre of gravity. He'll make an instant impression, if he wants to play that physical Peca-style of play.

Second story was a head-to-head open ice hit. Both of us careened straight at each other, and both of us hit hard enough to topple us several feet in the opposite direction, and i sent my mouthgaurd flying, banging around in my helmet. So, get him to pay attention to angles, since head-to-head is going to hurt both parties.

That's enough of open-ice hitting...

scrums along the boards are chaotic, but there is a method to the madness. A pin is simple...don't pin the body, pin the arms. Skate in at an angle, and press the body around the elbow region. The opponet will be stuck and he can take control of the puck without moving from that position. That's a great rub-out. Oh, and keep the fists out of it, nothing good ever came out of a fist-leading bodycheck.

Taking a hit has already been covered, but hitting from behind is a no-no, for obvious reasons. I nearly broke my neck a dozen times from hit-from-behinds, both accidental and intentional. My last year of hockey alone I recieved four of them, three from the same player. So, best advice? Don't let the kid become a real jerk, and keep it professional. Once it gets personal, that's when hitting from behind becomes an issue (outside of the usual accidents).

Hopefully I've been helpful, on some level.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
from personal experience checking is about the angle you take to the player.......if its open ice giving the hit make sure its shoulder.....and stay out of the trolly tracks and those "suicide passes"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->