Body Beast

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
So I woke up this morning with my tri's absolutely destroyed, in a good way. Can't remember the last time I ever felt them so sore!

Thankfully today was Legs and not shoulders like I posted yesterday because there would have been no way I could have done them.

Just completed the legs and while it definitely was not a fun workout, so many damn lunges that I hate...I can barely walk right now :laugh:

Have a feeling I will be waking up tomorrow morning barely able to stand.

2 workouts down and been following the diet of almost 3000 calories a day...loving it so far!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Just started today!

Completed the 50 minute Chest/Tri workout...needless to say, I can barely even move my arms(and they are still shaking a bit haha)! It was a tough workout that really pushes you. Lots of supersets with not much break.

I have no idea how i'm suppose to do the shoulder workout tomorrow considering i'm sure my arms are going to sore as hell tomorrow :)

Do you have all recommended pre and post workout supplements? They will help with the post workout pain.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So I woke up this morning with my tri's absolutely destroyed, in a good way. Can't remember the last time I ever felt them so sore!

Thankfully today was Legs and not shoulders like I posted yesterday because there would have been no way I could have done them.

Just completed the legs and while it definitely was not a fun workout, so many damn lunges that I hate...I can barely walk right now :laugh:

Have a feeling I will be waking up tomorrow morning barely able to stand.

2 workouts down and been following the diet of almost 3000 calories a day...loving it so far!

Good for you... I hope you stick with it cause I'm sure I will have some lazy days and might need a kick in the arse to get going. :D

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Do you have all recommended pre and post workout supplements? They will help with the post workout pain.

I don't use their stuff but I have my own. Basically a whey protein shake after the workout, a casein protein shake before bed, micro dosing a little creatine during the workout, and some fish oil supplements a some point during the day.

Aside from that, i'm trying to get everything else from eating.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Got my Body Beast DVD's today...:handclap:

Looking forward to starting....

Good luck! I'm just finishing up the first week and it's doing quite the number on my body (all good of course).

Been eating almost 3000 calories a day by following the meal plan and I'm up from 170 to 176 already and I could never gain weight :laugh:. (though to be fair, I started around the holidays when I was eating a lot from Xmas, so i might have gained a pound or two there haha).

I'm not worried about gaining some weight because I know it's going in the right spots with the work and the first month or two are the bulking months, third month you lower the calorie intake and get cut :)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Good luck! I'm just finishing up the first week and it's doing quite the number on my body (all good of course).

Been eating almost 3000 calories a day by following the meal plan and I'm up from 170 to 176 already and I could never gain weight :laugh:. (though to be fair, I started around the holidays when I was eating a lot from Xmas, so i might have gained a pound or two there haha).

I'm not worried about gaining some weight because I know it's going in the right spots with the work and the first month or two are the bulking months, third month you lower the calorie intake and get cut :)

Lol I should have read better 3000

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I don't use their stuff but I have my own. Basically a whey protein shake after the workout, a casein protein shake before bed, micro dosing a little creatine during the workout, and some fish oil supplements a some point during the day.

Aside from that, i'm trying to get everything else from eating.

If I may ...

For recovery, id recommend some glutamine. It has, anecdotally of course, worked for me. I don't get nearly as sore after workouts with a constant supply in my system.

I ran out in the early fall. Continued my workouts as normal. Christ I was sore. Once I went back on, tool a few days, but the pain was way way less.

I'd imagine there could be some placebo there, to be sure. But just saying what worked for me.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
And a follow up question, too. Give us a run down of the exercises here.

Like flyline said, it's pretty much all just common exercises with free weights. Lots of supersets and dropsets though. It's a really good way to get started and into the habit of working out 5-6 times a week.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Like flyline said, it's pretty much all just common exercises with free weights. Lots of supersets and dropsets though. It's a really good way to get started and into the habit of working out 5-6 times a week.

Eh, I dunno. Just because the exercises are common, I wouldn't consider this a beginner workout and I think they advertise it as a intermediate /advanced workout.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How'd it go?

So I finally got to start BB, thsi is my review of day 1

Chest /Tri's Day 1

Its pretty evident within the first 5 minutes that this is not a progam that a beginner can just start from day one and keep pace with the guys on the DVD but with that said the work outs are not something that are impossible to do and with time you will be up to speed with them. Beginners can do this program, but not necessarily at the pace Sagi goes, for beginners its probably more realistic to target the same pace in week 2 or 3.

Pros
I can certainly see why this program works, its exercises are targeted and well thought out and work well IMO

Cons
This may be me just nit picking but after doing the P90X program and being involved in sports for over 40 years, the one thing Sagi never says is be mind-full of your breathing, if you don't get O2 to the muscles they can't function properly and you will build up CO2 in your bloodstream. not the end of the world but an immediate annoyance that I noticed.

I like the program so far although the pace for this beginner is a bit quick but like I said I know with time I will catch up to the pace.

I'm interested in hearing your opinion too :)

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Day 2 Legs

Love working my legs, today's a vacation day so I'm going to do this a little later today after I take care of a few things.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
So I'm over a month in, and i must say, this program is a piece of crap.

First 3 weeks were very good, workouts were around 40-50 minutes, I gained the weight I wanted (around 8 pounds), my muscles were sore after every workout and it wasn't rushed....was excited to turn that now into muscle....

Once week 4 starts the workouts change, now they are on average just 30 minute long. And that includes an ineffective 2 minute warmup, an ineffective 2 minute ab workout, and a 90 second cool down(so it's like a 24 minute "workout"). Half the exercises they have you rushing through and changing weights in 5 seconds to start again... you are basically falling over yourself to try and keep up and not get hurt in the process.

Half the exercises the guys doing them are doing them improper (because they are rushing or just don't know what they are doing).

All the guys in it are complete juice heads which makes it very annoying to watch because they act like meat heads in it.

So I'm probably going to quit this after this week. I'm now 8 pounds fatter, and that shows. I don't even know if i gained any real muscle in the time but probably very little..i'll see how much I get bench later in the week and if it improved.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yikes. Sorry to hear. :( That's why I love Shaun T. I love natural ability. There is good support, failure is welcomed, etc. The meathead attitude is why my headphones stay in at the gym.

Mad Brills*

The meathead attitude is why my headphones stay in at the gym.

For me, I Find it the opposite since I'm at a university gym, where people are more friendlier and there aren't that many meatheads, but in general outside there, yeah the "bro types" are annoying.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So I'm over a month in, and i must say, this program is a piece of crap.

First 3 weeks were very good, workouts were around 40-50 minutes, I gained the weight I wanted (around 8 pounds), my muscles were sore after every workout and it wasn't rushed....was excited to turn that now into muscle....

Once week 4 starts the workouts change, now they are on average just 30 minute long. And that includes an ineffective 2 minute warmup, an ineffective 2 minute ab workout, and a 90 second cool down(so it's like a 24 minute "workout"). Half the exercises they have you rushing through and changing weights in 5 seconds to start again... you are basically falling over yourself to try and keep up and not get hurt in the process.

Half the exercises the guys doing them are doing them improper (because they are rushing or just don't know what they are doing).

All the guys in it are complete juice heads which makes it very annoying to watch because they act like meat heads in it.

So I'm probably going to quit this after this week. I'm now 8 pounds fatter, and that shows. I don't even know if i gained any real muscle in the time but probably very little..i'll see how much I get bench later in the week and if it improved.

Sorry to hear.

I'm still struggling through this and for me that is a good thing, I have yet completed a full session with out failure and failure is a good thing IMO.

I'm a numbers guy by trade so I implemented a system that I took from another program, you multiply the weight by the reps, sum it up and in the end the goal is to get a higher number each session that is similar, for example day one in my first week I scored X, the same set of exercise in my second week I had a 50% increase in score and I'm very conscious of making sure I have proper form. It keeps me motivated week over week to improve on my score and push harder to beat myself. :)

The last month is the month you are supposed to lean out, so don't quit yet, there will be positive gains. OH BTW, I don't go at the pace the guys on the video go, I'm personally not comfortable hurting my self just to keep up. If I get a sweat on and my heart rate up, I'm happy.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sorry to hear.

I'm still struggling through this and for me that is a good thing, I have yet completed a full session with out failure and failure is a good thing IMO.

I'm a numbers guy by trade so I implemented a system that I took from another program, you multiply the weight by the reps, sum it up and in the end the goal is to get a higher number each session that is similar, for example day one in my first week I scored X, the same set of exercise in my second week I had a 50% increase in score and I'm very conscious of making sure I have proper form. It keeps me motivated week over week to improve on my score and push harder to beat myself. :)

The last month is the month you are supposed to lean out, so don't quit yet, there will be positive gains. OH BTW, I don't go at the pace the guys on the video go, I'm personally not comfortable hurting my self just to keep up. If I get a sweat on and my heart rate up, I'm happy.

Just wait till week 4....the first 3 weeks were great IMO.. It went downhill fast with the next set of workouts.

aadi*

Dec 1, 2015
Make sure you keep us updated with your progress and your opinion of Body Beast once you have a few weeks to do the program.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad