Signing(s): Bobby Witt Jr. signs extension with the Royals (11 years, $288.7 million)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The contract will allow Witt to opt out after the seventh, eighth, ninth and 10th years, sources said. It also includes a club option after the 11th season that would tack on three years and $89 million to the contract, giving it a 14-year, $377 million ceiling.
I am going to predict right now, he will opt-out after that 7th season. Good for Royals fans that they got him to commit for 3 free agent years though.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Kansas City Royals are here to spend money

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
SS of his talent don't come along often, and Royals need a face of franchise, so it makes plenty of sense.

Sure, there is risk but locking up a player like that is important for a small market team

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
As long as they’re trying to get new stadiums

Bingo.

He’s a pretty extraordinary talent though and really blossomed last year. True 5-tool star. It’s hard to blame the Royals for throwing the bag at him. He’s worth it. Whether they can actually build the rest of the franchise into something resembling a contender in the next 5 years is very much a question mark.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
SS of his talent don't come along often, and Royals need a face of franchise, so it makes plenty of sense.

Sure, there is risk but locking up a player like that is important for a small market team
But isn't it rather much risk and less reward potential for the Royals? I have no doubt that Witt is a superstar and will likely be a 4+ WAR player throughout the course of this extension. But with $ 35m/y in what would have been his FA years, he has a nice salary ready locked up. This does not seem like a huge bargain to me and any longer IL stint might skew the math.

Gruß,
BSHH

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
But isn't it rather much risk and less reward potential for the Royals? I have no doubt that Witt is a superstar and will likely be a 4+ WAR player throughout the course of this extension. But with $ 35m/y in what would have been his FA years, he has a nice salary ready locked up. This does not seem like a huge bargain to me and any longer IL stint might skew the math.

Gruß,
BSHH

It's not about being a bargain or below market, it's about locking up the player long term before he makes his price tag absurdly high.

he should be worth the contract easily

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad