Bobby Ryan vs Lauri Tukonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
Who do you think will have the better NHL career?

Does Tukonen have enough offensive upside to be a 1st liner?

How good of a power forward is Ryan?

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
id say tukonen....

I honestly thought bobby ryan was some kid they found on the streets during the wjc....he looked so funny trying to skate...seems so off balance, he has MAJOR work in this area, before coming to the nhl level. It may work in juniors...

Tukonen looks to be the safer, better bet. Although These kids are under 20 years of age, lots of stuff can happen, for all i know bobby ryan can be the next nash.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
nomoment said:
Who do you think will have the better NHL career?

Does Tukonen have enough offensive upside to be a 1st liner?

How good of a power forward is Ryan?

Kings fans feel free to flame...but Ryan has the rare first line powerforward upside that teams are always looking for...while Tukonen projects to more of a two-way second liner. So I'd say Ryan should have the better NHL career if they both reach their potentials.

I haven't seen enough of Tukonen to say for sure, but I wouldn't count on him becoming a first liner though there is some upside there.

The sky is the limit in terms of power forward upside with Ryan, if he works on his skating and develops a mean streak...watch out...

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Chrisd said:
Tukonen looks to be the safer, better bet.

safer yes, better no.

Do you gamble with a possible first line powerforward franchise player or take the safe reliable two-way second line player.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
bobby ryan can dominate ohl kids, lots of people can, and he's on a very good team...

put him in the wjc format on a even playing field he didn't look to hot.

I know you saw him play, he is the worst skater I've seen in a while, i honestly thought every time he took a turn he was gonna fall down.

Bobby ryan has lots of bust potential, sure his upside i guess might be higher, but it's not a gamble I'd take, after watching him play.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Chrisd said:
bobby ryan can dominate ohl kids, lots of people can, and he's on a very good team...

put him in the wjc format on a even playing field he didn't look to hot.

I know you saw him play, he is the worst skater I've seen in a while, i honestly thought every time he took a turn he was gonna fall down.

Bobby ryan has lots of bust potential, sure his upside i guess might be higher, but it's not a gamble I'd take, after watching him play.

Ryan wasn't given a very big role at the WJCs and he still was I believe third on team scoring. Ducks have been down this road before with prospects who were getting knocked off the puck and were not skating well...and where are they know...in the NHL...Joffrey Lupul and Corey Perry.

Ryan has work to do but I bet you the Kings would gamble on him rather than taking Tukonen if they had to chose between the two.

Randall Graves*

Ryans problems are fixable, once he learns the conditioning aspect of the game he'll be much stronger on his skates.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I hope your right about Ryan...i wanted to see him do well, as I'm american and was anxious to see him.

But watching him skate, and be clumsy and fall down....i was left saying, this guy was even drafted.........

Yeah the bigger guys take more time often, hopefully he pans out, but honestly it won't shock me either way.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
McDonald19 said:
safer yes, better no.

Do you gamble with a possible first line powerforward franchise player or take the safe reliable two-way second line player.
Has it been pretty much agreed upon that Tukonen won't be a first liner? Like most North Americans, I only know what I've seen at WJC, and what I've read on various scouting reports.

He was very impressive during WJC, and his AHL numbers are decent. Is Tukonen billed as say, a poor man's Alexander Frolov?

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
I've seen enough of Tukonen to say that he at least has an outside chance at being a 1st liner, though it is certainly more likely that he will end up as a 2nd line winger who can do spot duty on the 1st. But as someone whose likely basement potential is on the 2nd line, it's about a safe a pick as one can make (very similar to Michalek IMO outside of his knee injuries).

Ryan does have the potential to be a franchise power winger, but his skating speed certainly remains not of NHL calibre. I've seen some jaw-dropping abilities from him on the other hand and certainly looks to have a much higher potential.

As much as I like Tukonen, I'd still take Ryan here.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
As of right now, I'd take Tukkonen. He seems to be more of a difference-maker. His offensive exploits are very underrated IMO. He led the under-18 tournament in points his draft year. He finished second in the WJC in points this year. He has 17 points in 27 games in the AHL. Bob McKenzie had him ranked to go 4th overall his draft year before he slipped. Are those 2nd-line NHL numbers? I don't really think so. Ryan has sweeter hands, but that's about it.

ILuvLA

Jul 16, 2004
Lost in LA
Everyone realizes that this will be a Kings v. Ducks fan debate right? With both sides being hard headed enough not to see the opposite view point. :shakehead Both players have the POTENTIAL to be great. Until they hit the "show" it's all speculation. End of story .

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Stop being so rational, it ruins a perfectly good argument!

Tukonen sucks, Ryan is much better. :sarcasm:

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
Frolov 6'3 said:
I'm more than happy if Tukonen can turn into a Jere Lehtinen type of player. ;)

I think Tukonen is more like Sami Kapanen type of player and
Petteri Nokelainen is more like Jere lehtinen type of player...

Still...Tukonen going to have a great career :yo:

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
ILuvLA said:
Everyone realizes that this will be a Kings v. Ducks fan debate right? With both sides being hard headed enough not to see the opposite view point. :shakehead Both players have the POTENTIAL to be great. Until they hit the "show" it's all speculation. End of story .

Not really. Frankly I think the consensus is probably correct. Ryan has a higher upside/risk then Lauri.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm more then happy to have Tukonen as a Kings prospect. If he turns into a tough physical 2nd liner with a little skill that would be great. Guys like that make good hockey teams. I think one major edge that Tukonen has is that he has been playing in full adult leagues for 3 years. We have only seen Ryan playing aginst people his own age.

Tukonen has done everything you can ask from a high level prospect. Guy has been playing against men for the past 3 years had good WJC’s. Not many kids his age can say the same.

So good luck to both of them. Hopefully they will both have solid professional careers.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Mallard said:
As of right now, I'd take Tukkonen. He seems to be more of a difference-maker. His offensive exploits are very underrated IMO. He led the under-18 tournament in points his draft year. He finished second in the WJC in points this year. He has 17 points in 27 games in the AHL. Bob McKenzie had him ranked to go 4th overall his draft year before he slipped. Are those 2nd-line NHL numbers? I don't really think so. Ryan has sweeter hands, but that's about it.
Yes, but as part of a 4way tie, with Voloshenko and both his linemates. Nokelainen has seen a greater development since then, and has outscored him every time they've played at the same level. He heavily outscored him in the FNL last year, and when they played in the '05 U20's together. No one has Nokey pegged as anything higher than a second liner, though; and they're probably right.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Tukonen's the safer pick, but Ryan does have more upside, which is fine with me. We have had our share of projects... Brian Boyle is our biggest one right now, but before that we had the wonder years of Dave Steckel and Jens Karlsson.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Mallard said:

17 points in 27 AHL games doesn't necessarily project to being a first liner in the NHL. 27 points in 27 games would be more like it. I'd say he will be a solid two-way second liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad