Bobby Ryan Vs. Benoit Pouliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Personally, I prefer Pouliot. He just has better all-round potential. He's a much better skater for one thing, and I prefer his all-round skills as well. Ryan's a more mature and developped player, but his upside is not nearly as high as Pouliot's. If Pouliot were even 50% as filled out as Ryan is right now, I don't think it'd be close. Both are really good kids who for their own reasons (and their stories are well known), are well grounded and mature. If I had the third overal pick, I'd probably use it on Pouliot though.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
Hossa said:
Personally, I prefer Pouliot. He just has better all-round potential. He's a much better skater for one thing, and I prefer his all-round skills as well. Ryan's a more mature and developped player, but his upside is not nearly as high as Pouliot's. If Pouliot were even 50% as filled out as Ryan is right now, I don't think it'd be close. Both are really good kids who for their own reasons (and their stories are well known), are well grounded and mature. If I had the third overal pick, I'd probably use it on Pouliot though.
So you'd take Pouliot over Johnson/Brule?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
gobert said:

I'd take Pouliot over Brule for sure. I haven't really seen Johnson, and he's the conscensus #2, so that's why I said I'd take Pouliot third.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
gobert said:

I htink a lot of people would, to be honest. I'm not sure I would though, but that's mainly because I've never seen Johnson play.

I'd still take Brule over both Ryan and Pouliot, but between the two of them I agree with Hossa. Pouliot has a much higher upside, and will most likely be the better of the two when it's all said and done, but I like Ryan's game, and he's much more mature physically at this stage.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I would take Bobby Ryan in a heartbeat.

I have a bad feeling than Pouliot may be last year Andrew Ladd. He's only had one great season in his career, and I think his offensive skills are a little overated. His puckhandling and goal scoring skills just doesn't match up with Ryan's.

I wouldn't take Pouliot in the top 5, that's for sure.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
markov` said:
I would take Bobby Ryan in a heartbeat.

I have a bad feeling than Pouliot may be last year Andrew Ladd. He's only had one great season in his career, and I think his offensive skills are a little overated. His puckhandling and goal scoring skills just doesn't match up with Ryan's.

I wouldn't take Pouliot in the top 5, that's for sure.

On the surface the Ladd comparison is similar, but the more you look at them, it's not really. For one thing, Pouliot used to be really, really skinny. Like, we're talking he was about 160 pounds or something just last year. And of course, last year he didn't play in the OHL, but his father was sick and although he was cut from the team, had to be feeling like he'd rather be playing at home than away in Sudbury.

Also, nobody was ever talking about Ladd and his unbelievable upside, they were saying he's a very advanced prospect who just needed a chance in the WHL. Pouliot's not a finished product, but his upside is tremendous.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Hossa said:
On the surface the Ladd comparison is similar, but the more you look at them, it's not really. For one thing, Pouliot used to be really, really skinny. Like, we're talking he was about 160 pounds or something just last year. And of course, last year he didn't play in the OHL, but his father was sick and although he was cut from the team, had to be feeling like he'd rather be playing at home than away in Sudbury.

Also, nobody was ever talking about Ladd and his unbelievable upside, they were saying he's a very advanced prospect who just needed a chance in the WHL. Pouliot's not a finished product, but his upside is tremendous.

I haven't seen enough of Pouliot (4 games) so I can't really tell, but from what I've seen he doesn't have the upside you're talking about. It just didn't seem to me that he was special in any way offensively... he's not different from any player out there. You can't say that about players like Crosby, Johnson, Brule, Ryan and even Bourret.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
all I heard about Pouliot reminds me Jeff Carter in his draft year ...
big,lanky center with good speed big upside but that need to bulk up a bit ..
I even think pouliot is a better playmaker than Carter ..
anyway I would pick Pouliot very very high .. 3rd pick and maybe even 2nd pick for me is not a reach !

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hossa said:

When you say his all-round skills, do you mean his offensive skills or that he has more defensive polish than Ryan?

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
Pouliot is on a team that set a new team record for GA in season (180, top 3 I believe...). If the Wolves where offensive minded, my god he would explode imo. When put with a player maker too, he flourishes. So I would take Pouliot third overall....

And to add, hes very mature, Foligno has him taking key face offs a lot, and hes winning a lot of them too. Hes clutch too in the playoffs (he had 2 or 3 Game winning goals in the first round)....

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Kryoptix said:
all I heard about Pouliot reminds me Jeff Carter in his draft year ...
big,lanky center with good speed big upside but that need to bulk up a bit ..
I even think pouliot is a better playmaker than Carter ..
anyway I would pick Pouliot very very high .. 3rd pick and maybe even 2nd pick for me is not a reach !

Carter is a very good comparison IMO, but if you ask me, Pouliot is much better than Carter was in his draft year.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
rt said:
When you say his all-round skills, do you mean his offensive skills or that he has more defensive polish than Ryan?

I meant offensively. Pouliot has all the tools offensively, whereas Ryan's got some holes, particularily in the skating department. He's not Andreychuk or anything (not that a career like Andreychuk's would be a problem), but it's defenitely not a strength.

monster_bertuzzi said:
I guess Johnson, Brule, and Ryan are all finished products eh Hossa?

Glad you enjoyed that. As I said, I haven't seen Johnson nearly enough to evaluate him, maybe not Brule either. But what I meant was that Pouliot's just a very raw prospect. That is why the scouting community appears to be buzzing over this guy. That's why he's #3 on ISS and #2 in CSB.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
misfit said:
Carter is a very good comparison IMO, but if you ask me, Pouliot is much better than Carter was in his draft year.

Carter was 17 in his draft year. Pouliot is 18 in his draft year. Not a fair comparison.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
Carter was 1 day away from being a 18 year old, and unlike most 18 year olds Pouliot doesn't have an edge in OHL experience.

So, at the start of the 2002/2003 in Sept, Jeff Carter was 1 day away from being 18?....huh, please explain???

And how does Pouliot not have an edge unlike most 18 yr olds when comparing them to a 17 yr old? I would hazard a guess that Pouliot is a year wiser, a bit stronger, somewhat more mature and whichever way you look at it, he has one more year of hockey experience from the age of 16 - 18, whether it's in the OHL or a midget house league! For some players it may not make a difference, but we are comparing two pretty good hockey players here.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
HabLover said:
So, at the start of the 2002/2003 in Sept, Jeff Carter was 1 day away from being 18?....huh, please explain???

And how does Pouliot not have an edge unlike most 18 yr olds when comparing them to a 17 yr old? I would hazard a guess that Pouliot is a year wiser, a bit stronger, somewhat more mature and whichever way you look at it, he has one more year of hockey experience from the age of 16 - 18, whether it's in the OHL or a midget house league! For some players it may not make a difference, but we are comparing two pretty good hockey players here.

The point he was making was had Carter been born 24 hours earlier, he would have been drafted as an 18 year old too. The difference between the two is three months. Also, while Pouliot may be older, Carter went into his draft year with an extra year in the OHL. Neither were strong as they were both big guys with no meat on their bones, so that's a wash. One year OHL experience makes up for that three month difference.

Not that I"m sure why it's become Pouliot vs. Carter anyways, it was a comparison in style and upside, not in who one would take.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
Bobby Ryan

he's got power forward written all over him. it would be awsome to put him in a prospect pool with Carter, Richards, Umberger and Ruzicka.

either player would be great to have though.

Last edited:
Hossa said:
The point he was making was had Carter been born 24 hours earlier, he would have been drafted as an 18 year old too. The difference between the two is three months. Also, while Pouliot may be older, Carter went into his draft year with an extra year in the OHL. Neither were strong as they were both big guys with no meat on their bones, so that's a wash. One year OHL experience makes up for that three month difference.

Not that I"m sure why it's become Pouliot vs. Carter anyways, it was a comparison in style and upside, not in who one would take.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->