Bobby Ryan v. Dustin Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Osprey said:
IMO, comparing these two players, who are very different and far apart in NHL-readiness, is just looking to start a fight between Ducks and Kings fans. The only reason I see for a Ducks fan to post this is to hope that unbiased readers pick the Ducks player over the Kings player, providing a boost to the egos of Ducks fans and a blow to the egos of Kings fan. Is this really necessary?

Well no, I'm just curious what people who have seen both players a lot think about them. We all know Kings homers will say Brown and Ducks homers will say Ryan.

Randall Graves*

no name said:
He was actually considered a reach at 2 if i'm not mistaken. Many thought he would be taken 5-10.
tsn had him pegged between 2-6

ILuvLA

Jul 16, 2004
Lost in LA
At this point, Brown has played and will be in the NHL this year, Ryan still in the minors. This thread is only meant to incite both Kings & Ducks Fans.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Legionnaire said:
:biglaugh: We're talking Bobby Ryan here. He's good, but he ain't no second coming. Brown's shot easily rivals Ryan's. Creativty with the puck? Good lord you make it sound like he's Mario Lemiuex. Get a grip. While Brown is more of a north south player, the difference between the two is not that great. It's not as though Ryan can dipsy-doodle through a whole team or thread the needle like Oates. He has slightly better vision. Brown's skating is far, far better.

This is simply a Kings-Ducks thread. If Ryan was your guy you would be going off about how he was the best player in the draft besides Crosby and how he has tons of upside and years to get better than Brown. And I'd be saying how Brown is already a good NHLer blah blah blah.

The fact is Brown is going to be a very good second liner for years, where as Ryan still could be a first line superstar.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
no name said:
He was actually considered a reach at 2 if i'm not mistaken. Many thought he would be taken 5-10.

There was no clear number 2, Johnson was close.

The Ducks scouts felt Ryan was the most unique talent in the draft besides Crosby (that of a talented power forward).

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
ILuvLA said:
At this point, Brown has played and will be in the NHL this year, Ryan still in the minors. This thread is only meant to incite both Kings & Ducks Fans.

I agree with you there. It would be like a Kopitar vs Lupul thread.

BHLCommish

Apr 9, 2004
I will probably get flamed for this comparison, but I think Ryan is like Forsberg, but with quite a bit worse skating, he has awesome awesome vision, passing skills, and could stickhandle in a phonebooth. The way Ryan moves and cycles through the offensive zone is very reminiscent of Peter, circling, dazzling with the puck, and finding the open man. Once Ryan learns to use his body a bit more, he is going to be absolutely unstoppable.

I'd definitely take him over Brown and his better skating.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
BHLCommish said:
I will probably get flamed for this comparison, but I think Ryan is like Forsberg, but with quite a bit worse skating, he has awesome awesome vision, passing skills, and could stickhandle in a phonebooth. The way Ryan moves and cycles through the offensive zone is very reminiscent of Peter, circling, dazzling with the puck, and finding the open man. Once Ryan learns to use his body a bit more, he is going to be absolutely unstoppable.

I'd definitely take him over Brown and his better skating.
I didn't really see the Peter Forsberg comparison when I saw him play. He reminded me more of Jason Allison than anyone else. He somehow slows the play down to the speed he wants then he just takes over using his size and skill. He is gritty, but certainly not physical.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
ILuvLA said:

Well, we could go revisit with a Chistov vs Frolov thread.

Randall Graves*

McDonald19 said:
This is simply a Kings-Ducks thread. If Ryan was your guy you would be going off about how he was the best player in the draft besides Crosby and how he has tons of upside and years to get better than Brown. And I'd be saying how Brown is already a good NHLer blah blah blah.

The fact is Brown is going to be a very good second liner for years, where as Ryan still could be a first line superstar.
nah, Brown has first line ability, 30-40 goal type, just don't think he'll rack up the assists like Ryan could.

BHLCommish

Apr 9, 2004
Brown definitely has the ability to score 30-40 goals, hes got a great great shot with a very quick release he can use outside the hash marks, but he also crashes the net so he'll get a lot of garbage goals. Also what i didn't know about this guy before I watched him in Manchester is that he's quite a good deker and has great hands around the net, I had thought he was just a sniper type.

I totally agree on the slowing the play down comment, he's one of the few guys I've seen who can make a game played at his speed level, imo those are the really special guys.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
AnThGrt said:
Couldn't of said it better myself - Oh well let the ducks have their ego talks

Somehow I think that you Kings fans would have quite different tone if Brown was the one getting most of the 'unbiased' votes here.

I agree with Osprey that it's hard to compare them (and implied as much in my first post in this thread) but I can't help to feel that Kings fans here are maybe just offended by the fact that Ryan seems to be getting more loving here.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
McDonald19 said:
It would be like a Kopitar vs Lupul thread.
Ugh, don't give people ideas ;)

Just for the record, Pepper, I would've posted the same thing if the situation were reversed. I like both teams and wish we could all just get along :sarcasm:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Osprey said:
Just for the record, Pepper, I would've posted the same thing if the situation were reversed. I don't like fans of either team inciting things.

I know you would have done that Osprey, can't say the same for few other Kings fans.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Rabid Ranger said:
What moves are those? His toe drag? Ryan's game is predicated on the fact that he's as strong as an ox coupled with elite skill. By the time he makes the NHL he'll likely be 6'3'' 230 lbs. I think that will "fly" at that level.

I'm sorry. Maybe I was mistaking you with the other people in this thread who were saying his skills and creativity were soooo superior.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
McDonald19 said:

Please don't confuse me with your homerism. I think most Ducks fans would agree, with the exception of Perry, I've given respect where respect is due.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Legionnaire said:
Please don't confuse me with your homerism. I think most Ducks fans would agree, with the exception of Perry, I've given respect where respect is due.

Oh come on, your as much of a homer as any other Kings fan.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
"I know you would have done that Osprey, can't say the same for few other Kings fans."
I love how you are saying this when its all the Ducks players attacking us. The kings are yet to have complained only stood up for Brown. That being said all you Ducks fan can seem to do is complain and say how you are better and Brown isn't close to good. How about you guys stop with the homerism and complaining and we close this thread being its just a rivalry argument

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The personal attacks and bickering are going to stop, or some of you are going to be taking a vacation. It's up to you, and there won't be any more informal warnings. The thread will be closed, and you'll be dealt with.

Thank you.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
nomorekids said:
The personal attacks and bickering are going to stop, or some of you are going to be taking a vacation. It's up to you, and there won't be any more informal warnings. The thread will be closed, and you'll be dealt with.

Thank you.

I like Dustin Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->