Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Which team out west? Edmonton? Nashville? SJ? ...God I hope it was at least for more than a few picks.... I have a feeling both are gone this summer. Better hope we win the lottery.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
McKenzie: Sens players thought Karlsson and Ryan were on the move

Bob was asked about the Ryan quote. Mentions that there was a window on Sunday when some, including Senator players, thought a deal was about done but found out later that night it was a false alarm and that the deal was never as close as some thought it was.

Taking that with what Shawn Simpson said earlier today, I wonder how much Newport Sports was pushing for a trade.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Bob was asked about the Ryan quote. Mentions that there was a window on Sunday when some, including Senator players, thought a deal was about done but found out later that night it was a false alarm and that the deal was never as close as some thought it was.

Taking that with what Shawn Simpson said earlier today, I wonder how much Newport Sports was pushing for a trade.

Senators were seriously listening and considering the options..
Not as close as Bobby thought/said
2 hr window between 6 and 8:30 on Sunday , Ottawa players thought it was close; spread from there
by 10:pm realized it was not as close as many people thought
Newport was not mentioned , nor anything about Bobby's agent
Nothing more speculated

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Senators were seriously listening and considering the options..
Not as close as Bobby thought/said
2 hr window between 6 and 8:30 on Sunday , Ottawa players thought it was close; spread from there
by 10:pm realized it was not as close as many people thought
Newport was not mentioned , nor anything about Bobby's agent
Nothing more speculated

I've never doubted they were listening or considering their options. The part about Newport was my own speculation. As Shawn Simpson mentioned earlier agents don't tell their clients about rumours unless its something that is happening. If Bobby is getting this information from his agent but it's really not as close as some were lead to believe, it does raise some questions.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That is what the salary cap is for. Teams like Toronto and New York could spend way more than the cap if they were allowed. Smaller teams like Ottawa can compete thanks to the cap. However, if the owner doesn't spend to put out a quality team, the owner will lose out on valuable playoff revenue.

Yes, the "Cap" was brought in to kinda level the playing field, and it did not take long for the Toronotos and the New Yorks to find work arounds, such as burying contracts in the Minors........... a luxury that smaller markets can't absorb.

Then, of course the "Cap" has risen each and every year, and smaller Market team, and especially smaller market Canadian teams find themselves at a disadvantage, again.

Did I mention the exchange rate?

Again, the owner has decided, a number of years ago, to play within a budget that the Franchise generates from the revenues it brings in.

Obviously the Ottawa market, does not bring in as much as Toronto or New York, and it's ridiculous to compare the Ottawa Market to either of those.

Anyone who think owners have bottomless pockets of money, are just going to keep digging into them and just keep funding smaller market teams no matter what the costs are dreaming, and the Ottawa Owner has said as much.

Yes, it's a catch 22, if the STH number decline, for whatever reason, the Senators revenues drop, and they have to depend more on game day sales, and if the team is not in the playoff race, those sales are hard to come by.

In Ottawa, it basically always boils down to the product on the ice, and without playoff revenues this season, don't expect the internal budget for next year to grow by much, if at all.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Doubt Price goes away, but Pacioretty is gone for sure.

Bergervin should be fired, but will he be? I think Montreal fans would be very happy if he was.

Big off season for them.

So did you get the point I was making?

About a team laying out their entire plans for the offseason?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

What would Newport have to do with two GMs talking about a possible trade?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I've never doubted they were listening or considering their options. The part about Newport was my own speculation. As Shawn Simpson mentioned earlier agents don't tell their clients about rumours unless its something that is happening. If Bobby is getting this information from his agent but it's really not as close as some were lead to believe, it does raise some questions.

Bobby could just be angry at management and decide to lash out.

He was rather vocal about how much he hated always being the guy involved in trade rumours while he was in Anaheim.

This is why it is best to make sure business stays behind closed doors.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
As Shawn Simpson mentioned earlier agents don't tell their clients about rumours unless its something that is happening. If Bobby is getting this information from his agent but it's really not as close as some were lead to believe, it does raise some questions.
Direct Ryan quote from the article:

“Me, in particular, I reached out to my agent and said hey listen, I’m sure you’re aware of what’s going on here, and I’m hearing it, and if I’m hearing it, you are. So he told me on Friday (before the deadline) that (being traded) was a very real possibility. And that was the most communication I had.”

He wasn’t getting ANY information from his agent.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Direct Ryan quote from the article:

“Me, in particular, I reached out to my agent and said hey listen, I’m sure you’re aware of what’s going on here, and I’m hearing it, and if I’m hearing it, you are. So he told me on Friday (before the deadline) that (being traded) was a very real possibility. And that was the most communication I had.”

He wasn’t getting ANY information from his agent.

Yeah my bad.

I heard on Sunday it was done and somebody backed out at the last second,” Ryan said Monday morning at BB&T Center. “Karl and I were like, ‘pack it up’. We thought we were gone. That’s just the way it goes. Then you’re like, I’ve got to move again?

Thought it mentioned that he heard is from his agent but he doesn't specify where he heard it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What would Newport have to do with two GMs talking about a possible trade?
If any of the teams talking are on either players ntc, they'd be involved.

Thinking about that, Ryan and Karlsson should probably coordinate their NTC for next year (if they aren't already traded by then), either to match if they want to move, or to not overlap if they want to minimize the teams options,

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
terrible article especially Bobby talking about Karlsson. He's basically affirming he is the reason we almost lost Karlsson.

Ryan is not the reason for anything. A ton of teams have underperforming players on terrible contracts yet they still pony up to sign their best player when it's time to do so.

Team could retain 2M and trade Ryan and then replace him with a rookie for all I care and keep Karlsson

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Which team out west? Edmonton? Nashville? SJ? ...God I hope it was at least for more than a few picks.... I have a feeling both are gone this summer. Better hope we win the lottery.
Dorion watching last sj game apparently
No idea how a karlsson deal would work with them. Roster players off their team kills their chances so why acquire EK? They don't have prospects to make a "franchise player type deal".

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ryan is not the reason for anything. A ton of teams have underperforming players on terrible contracts yet they still pony up to sign their best player when it's time to do so.

Team could retain 2M and trade Ryan and then replace him with a rookie for all I care and keep Karlsson
And take back bad contracts to even out the trade leaving us in the same cap situation. Phaneuf could still play, Ryan can barely. Even at 5.5 there must be better options out their to waste money on.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If any of the teams talking are on either players ntc, they'd be involved.

Thinking about that, Ryan and Karlsson should probably coordinate their NTC for next year (if they aren't already traded by then), either to match if they want to move, or to not overlap if they want to minimize the teams options,

Correct me if I'm wrong, I know Karlsson has a (limited) NTC, but I don't think Ryan does....... at least there is no indication of one on Sportrac

So am wondering why would Ryan's agent would have been involved in any way, if anyone thinks this rumour had any substance to it?

Logic would also dictate that Dorion would only come close to a deal involving a team on Karlsson's list (of teams he can go to) .

I think some people just read way to much into stories like these, as theyu have to talk about something in lieu of a playoff run.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Correct me if I'm wrong, I know Karlsson has a (limited) NTC, but I don't think Ryan does....... at least there is no indication of one on Sportrac

So am wondering why would Ryan's agent would have been involved in any way, if anyone thinks this rumour had any substance to it?

Logic would also dictate that Dorion would only come close to a deal involving a team on Karlsson's list (of teams he can go to) .

I think some people just read way to much into stories like these, as theyu have to talk about something in lieu of a playoff run.
According to capfriendly, he gets a 10 team no trade list.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Bobby Ryan - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Rumors can be true, even without a trade happening.

I don't think you're saying 100% of all Rumours are true, in that they're rumours ............ are you?

BM is really good at the prospect/draft ranking part of his job, but rumours have no stock with me, until they become true, and his track record is not better, or no worse than anyone else that works in his field.

A lot of reported rumours are made to drive clicks/ viewers to their various platforms, and a little enhancement (50/50) sure drove a lot of Senators fans into a frenzy, didn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don't think you're saying 100% of all Rumours are true, in that they're rumours ............ are you?

BM is really good at the prospect/draft ranking part of his job, but rumours have no stock with me, until they become true, and his track record is not better, or no worse than anyone else that works in his field.

A lot of reported rumours are made to drive clicks/ viewers to their various platforms, and a little enhancement (50/50) sure drove a lot of Senators fans into a frenzy, didn't it?

Here we go again :help:

Reactions: Bean Drown

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
terrible article especially Bobby talking about Karlsson. He's basically affirming he is the reason we almost lost Karlsson.
Of course you would see it that way. I see it as our owner being a cheap ass motherf***er as the reason we almost lost and will lose Karlsson.

Reactions: Sensinitis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad