Bobby Ryan drafted, Flyers come knocking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
balddog66 said:
Let's say your team drafts Bobby Ryan, the first phone call you get is from Bobby Clarke. He's offered you one of Pitkanen, Carter or Richards for Ryan...do you make the deal?

pitkanen for sure yes... carter yes.. richards maybe....

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
nomorekids said:
I agree with those in the thread saying I'd do it for Pitkanen or Carter, but not Richards. Richards, I feel, is getting a touch overrated. In fact, so is Carter...but he's a bit more deserving of it. For most teams, I don't consider a trade with Philly unless one of Pitkanen or Carter is involved. If I'm Nashville, we don't really need Pitkanen, so it would be solely based around Jeff Carter, who the Preds could use desperately.

And Ryan isnt? I mean people are talking Carter + a first. Frankly Carter by himself is better than Ryan.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
If Clarke called offering any of those 3 one for one I would do it, if my team needed that position of player. There are way too many variable to make an across the board statement of yes or no.

However, would Clarke offer any of those 3 straight up for Ryan? I doubt it. Pitkanen, not a chance. Carter has an upside to be Joe Thornton-ish so no chance in hell. Obviously Richards is the one you'd consider most. With Carter already on the team and Sharp being a poor-man's Richards, it would probably be worth getting Ryan.

Just think about where Carter, Richards and Pitkanen would go if they were in this draft at their current age and talent. Ask is Pitkanen>J.Johnson? Is Carter>then all forwards other than Crosby? And is Richards a top 10 pick?

Posters have mentioned even that Clarke could package one of these prospects with the Flyers' 1st to move up and get Ryan. That is way too much. I think it all depends on how far back the Flyers are from 4th or 5th spot. If they manage to be 'lotterized' a top 10-ish pick then maybe they move that pick with the likes of Ruzicka or another prospect to get him.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
balddog66 said:
Let's say your team drafts Bobby Ryan, the first phone call you get is from Bobby Clarke. He's offered you one of Pitkanen, Carter or Richards for Ryan...do you make the deal?

If the Flyers trade for Ryan it will be prior to a selection being made, and there is no chance that Carter, Richards or Pitkanen will be offered.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Just to add fuel to the discussion:

Remember their is two years age difference....Ryan outscored both this year in the OHL and his points per game average was higher (better team than Carter, arguably better team than Richards, even though they were elimenated by Richards)

Who knows how many points Ryan would put up if he's still in the OHL in two seasons...

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
balddog66 said:
Just to add fuel to the discussion:

Remember their is two years age difference....Ryan outscored both this year in the OHL and his points per game average was higher (better team than Carter, arguably better team than Richards, even though they were elimenated by Richards)

Who knows how many points Ryan would put up if he's still in the OHL in two seasons...
Bingo-Ryan was on the second best OHL team this year and Richards came in and kicked their arse.He may not be the most talented,but heart goes a loooooong way in the NHL.I'll gladly keep all 3 of these guys and let the chips fall where they may.Heck,we may get a good prospect other than Ryan.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I wouldn't give up Carter (close though), Richards or Pitkanen for Ryan.

I would give up Handzus for Ryan though. Flyers have tons of centers and tons of youth. Ryan would further solidify that team for years and years. I don't think Handzus is that great and Carter is going to be a lot better than people think.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Mountaineers said:
I wouldn't give up Carter (close though), Richards or Pitkanen for Ryan.

I would give up Handzus for Ryan though. Flyers have tons of centers and tons of youth. Ryan would further solidify that team for years and years. I don't think Handzus is that great and Carter is going to be a lot better than people think.

I think people have a pretty good grasp on Carter. I think he is capable of great things in the NHL, and i dont really see him as an underrated prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad