Bobby "Man Child" Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
OneSpeedOnly said:
Have you ever met him?

A few times in the last 2 years I have seen him up close after games while I was talking to other OHL players with whom my son played.

He is "big boned", but not muscular by any means. However, his pudge looks more like baby fat than the big belly, too-much-pie type of fat a la Steve Bernier.

Don't get me wrong, he's a magician with the puck. But people who haven't seen him, don't picture some chiseled Adonis.

This may have no impact on him making the NHL. But all things being equal, I am sure that NHL teams would prefer to see a lean, well-conditioned prospect.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Juan said:
A few times in the last 2 years I have seen him up close after games while I was talking to other OHL players with whom my son played.

He is "big boned", but not muscular by any means. However, his pudge looks more like baby fat than the big belly, too-much-pie type of fat a la Steve Bernier.
According to Woodlief he's trimmed the baby fat and the 224 lbs is mostly muscle. When's the last time you saw him up close?

turnbuckle*

I spoke to an NHL head scout recently who thinks very highly of Ryan's power game. He told me that he's never seen a player (NHL or otherwise) that could attain better scoring position in front of the opponent's net. He has Ryan rated as a top three pick .

As for Guillame Latendresse; he's much less enamoured, and doesn't consider him top be a top ten talent at this time. He commented on his skating deficiencies and noticeable (on the nights he scouted him anyway) lack of drive. He's also not overwhelmed by his overall skill package.

I was surprised by his comments given what I've read on this board, but I have to admit that I haven't seen Latendresse play, so I'm starting to wonder if he won't be taking a nosedive in the rankings as the season wears on. It happens to a couple of prospects every year - Ask Colagiacomo, Evseev, Chipchura, Hudler, and countless others.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Postman said:
According to Woodlief he's trimmed the baby fat and the 224 lbs is mostly muscle. When's the last time you saw him up close?
I have no idea what type of fat Ryan has or doesn't have, but one thing's for certain, he is a lot stronger this year than last year. Last year, he had the huge frame, but he was nowhere near as dominant down low as he has been this year. This year, he goes into the corner with two guys hanging on his back, and comes out with the puck. This year, he can go in the crease with guys hammering him, and he doesn't budge an inch.

He's a hard guy to judge conditioning on based just on his on-ice performance, because he really tends to cruise and conserve energy until the puck gets into his "office" deep in the offensive zone. Then he becomes a beast.

So at any rate, wherever his conditioning and cut of physique is at, he has still definitely become stronger, increased his production and effectiveness significantly, and that is the kind of progress you want to see from a top prospect in his critical draft year. If he still lacks cut or conditioning, that can be addressed, but the progress is good to see, regardless.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Blind Gardien said:
So at any rate, wherever his conditioning and cut of physique is at, he has still definitely become stronger, increased his production and effectiveness significantly, and that is the kind of progress you want to see from a top prospect in his critical draft year. If he still lacks cut or conditioning, that can be addressed, but the progress is good to see, regardless.
True enough.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Postman said:

I was talking to him less than 2 weeks ago, if he has baby fat, I din't see much.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I was implying that he looks eerily like Scarlett Johansson. Golden locks, ruby red lips, sky blue eyes. . . Um, wait. I meant, they both are strong on the puck and have a booming slap shot. . . :eek: Seriously, though, Scarlett is one of my favorite actresses and I immediately thought "Does she have a hockey-playing brother?"

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
mercury said:
I was implying that he looks eerily like Scarlett Johansson. Golden locks, ruby red lips, sky blue eyes. . . Um, wait. I meant, they both are strong on the puck and have a booming slap shot. . . :eek: Seriously, though, Scarlett is one of my favorite actresses and I immediately thought "Does she have a hockey-playing brother?"

One big flaw in your theory: Scarlett Johansson is hot.

This poor kid,
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=4&pr_key=25272
:eek: Im not so sure.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Yikes! Maybe the Owen Sound website is trying to pretty him up, and make him into a sex symbol. I remember when I was in 8th grade, every girl in school actually watched Flyers games. They thought Eric Lindros was so hot. Poor Gino Odjick never got any attention. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->