Bobby "Man Child" Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
With this freak on fire, I was wondering if anyone with some inside info with Owen Sound or the inner workings of USA Hockey knows if he's being considered for the WJC team? I know he wasn't at the camp, but his play this year might make it hard to leave him off. If was the U.S. braintrust, I would have him, Schremp, and Josh Hennessey all on the team.

Last edited:

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I don't think there's anything wrong with the "typical" American attitude in the OHL. There's plenty of good players from the US and they fit in well with their teams. It's not an issue of where anyone is from.

With Bobby Ryan, it's an issue of what he's made of. Which, sadly, is not much. Yeah, he's a sniper and he can score. But if he can't get the boys to rally around him, then he's useless...as any player would be if they can't or won't play putting the team first at all times - not just when it's convenient or might benefit him in some way.

In short, he's a selfish *****. And that just won't work on Team USA [nor any other team, for that matter].

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
MePutPuckInNet said:
With Bobby Ryan, it's an issue of what he's made of. Which, sadly, is not much. Yeah, he's a sniper and he can score. But if he can't get the boys to rally around him, then he's useless...as any player would be if they can't or won't play putting the team first at all times - not just when it's convenient or might benefit him in some way.

In short, he's a selfish *****. And that just won't work on Team USA [nor any other team, for that matter].
Explain. Why is he "a selfish *****"?

You can't just go accusing him of being selfish without giving an actual reason.

Prucha73

Rabid Ranger said:
With this freak on fire, I was wondering if anyone with some inside info with Owen Sound or the inner workings of USA Hockey knows if he's being considered for the WJC team? I know he wasn't at the camp, but his play this year might make it hard to leave him off. If was the U.S. braintrust, I would have him, Schremp, and Josh Hennessey all on the team.

why is he "man child"?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Prucha73 said:
why is he "man child"?
Because he's 6-1, 224 lbs. He's not extremely tall, but he's built like an absolute tank. You usually don't see 17 year old kids that big already.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Postman said:
Because he's 6-1, 224 lbs. He's not extremely tall, but he's built like an absolute tank. You usually don't see 17 year old kids that big already.

I see kids that big stuffing their faces at McDonald's all the time.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm not that informed on the issues surrounding Ryan, but from what I understand they are family and personal issues that have distracted him from his hockey career at times. Something to do with his Dad in a similar type of situation as O'Sullivan a few years back (in which case, a lot of O'Sullivan's critics were embarrassed about taking shots at him once they were informed of the situation).

I've also heard it actually doesn't reflect poorly on Ryan at all, but rather quite the opposite in terms of what he is playing through. Perhaps MePut... can elaborate on his critique, otherwise I think it's really a case of the uninformed taking a shot without really knowing what he's talking about. Admittedly, I'm not that informed on the issues either so feel free to set me straight if I have it wrong...

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with the "typical" American attitude in the OHL. There's plenty of good players from the US and they fit in well with their teams. It's not an issue of where anyone is from.

You made the same claims about Chris Bourque BEFORE HE EVEN PLAYED A GAME. Then you backed off when confronted with mountains of evidence that he was doing really well for a 2nd round pick. Try basing some comments on reality.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:

He's an alternate for the Attack this year at 17, he has more assists than goals, and his passing game and on ice vision is the best part of his game. How is he selfish?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Juan said:
I see kids that big stuffing their faces at McDonald's all the time.
Sure, but they're not ripped like Ryan is.
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I'm not that informed on the issues surrounding Ryan, but from what I understand they are family and personal issues that have distracted him from his hockey career at times. Something to do with his Dad in a similar type of situation as O'Sullivan a few years back (in which case, a lot of O'Sullivan's critics were embarrassed about taking shots at him once they were informed of the situation).
Here's an article I've poster before about it: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach....htm+"bobby+ryan"+stevenson+cherry+hill&hl=en
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I've also heard it actually doesn't reflect poorly on Ryan at all, but rather quite the opposite in terms of what he is playing through. Perhaps MePut... can elaborate on his critique, otherwise I think it's really a case of the uninformed taking a shot without really knowing what he's talking about. Admittedly, I'm not that informed on the issues either so feel free to set me straight if I have it wrong...
It only makes him a stronger individual, IMO. But it all depends on how you look at it.

Either way, MePutPuckInNet is making claims he cannot backup with evidence.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pavel datsyuk said:
if he makes the team, great. But, i'm not going to complain about any omissions on the squad after they put together a gold medal winning team last year. I think they know what they're doing.

I agree. I just think it would be neat to have talents like Schremp, Ryan, etc on the team.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
borro, I told you what I know about Bourque, don't make me go there again...since I apparently hurt some people's feelings. I HAVE seen him play at BU. Just because he's not playing for Washington yet, doesn't mean he's not playing somewhere...is that a concept you're having trouble with?

...as for the "mountains of evidence", I don't believe I disputed his ability [although I certainly don't think it's worth even half of the hype], it's his character I have a problem with...and I have already told you what his teammates at the WJC evaluation camp thought of him....and what several of them think of him at BU - again, you certainly have no motive to believe a thing I say, so by all means...carry on with your love fest of Bourque. :dunno:

As for Bobby Ryan, again...it's about the character and not about the skill. I have already agreed with the comments regarding his sniper activities. And regarding his character, I don't care about his "issues". Having seen what comments regarding his personal life have cost a buddy of mine, I don't want to tread on things that are of no business to the public...even for Bobby Ryan. [But, having said that,,,Bobby was a bystander and not a recipient. If you think for a second it's a "similar type of situation" to O'Sullivan's, then I can't help you.]

Bobby Ryan's attitude on the ice has nothing to do with his childhood issues. They have to do with deciding whether or not he wants to be a team player. Apparently he'd rather be a glory hound. That's fine for now....but from a player's perspective that kind of thing has a way of keeping your teammates at armslength. It may not cost him a goal...but it WILL keep him from being the player that he could be, without the total support of his team. If he learns something this season, then I'll be hoping the best for him....but until he gets his big ego to shrink down to a normal size - the boys won't be standing in line to encourage him when the scoring slump inevitably occurs.

as one of the boys said: "I want to win, but I want the TEAM to win. If I wanted to win all by myself, I'd be playing tennis."

Bourque and Ryan, IMO, both need a few lessons on how to win over their teammates, before they start trying to pot game winning goals....cuz, uhhh....without his team, a hockey boy may just as well be playing tennis - it may be fun for a bit, but it's lonely in the winner's circle. The greatest thing about being a part of a hockey club, is that you're a part of something bigger than yourself. Unless they change their self-centered thinking, they'll miss out on the best parts of the game.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
MePutPuckInNet said:
Bobby Ryan's attitude on the ice has nothing to do with his childhood issues. They have to do with deciding whether or not he wants to be a team player. Apparently he'd rather be a glory hound. That's fine for now....but from a player's perspective that kind of thing has a way of keeping your teammates at armslength. It may not cost him a goal...but it WILL keep him from being the player that he could be, without the total support of his team. If he learns something this season, then I'll be hoping the best for him....but until he gets his big ego to shrink down to a normal size - the boys won't be standing in line to encourage him when the scoring slump inevitably occurs.
Once again, how did you come to this conclusion? Where is the reasoning for your claims here? What makes you say he doesn't want to be a team player, rather a glory hound? What makes you say he doesn't have total support of his team? His wearing of the 'A' makes me think otherwise.

Please either backup your claims with actual evidence or stop making such unfounded statements.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
This happens every year: fans (particularly on sites like this) want the team loaded up with hyped draft-age prospects (this goes for every team, not just USA), but the selection commitees know better and prefer to stock up on experienced 19-year olds, even if they arn't the best pro prospects.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I agree with those who say that we don't need Ryan on the team this year. I generally prefer to have as few 17 year olds as possible because it really is a 19 year olds tournament. Kessel and Johnson would be enough for me.

I'm more interested in seeing if Ryan will be available for the U18s in April, and if so, will USA Hockey add him to the team?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
I agree with those who say that we don't need Ryan on the team this year. I generally prefer to have as few 17 year olds as possible because it really is a 19 year olds tournament. Kessel and Johnson would be enough for me.

I'm more interested in seeing if Ryan will be available for the U18s in April, and if so, will USA Hockey add him to the team?

I should clarify that I'm more interested in seeing if Ryan is on the radar rather then being named to the team. I'm confident that when it's all said and done, the right team will be chosen.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I should clarify that I'm more interested in seeing if Ryan is on the radar rather then being named to the team. I'm confident that when it's all said and done, the right team will be chosen.
That is, unless Jack is left off.

Although at the rate he's going, that's unlikely.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
That is, unless Jack is left off.

Although at the rate he's going, that's unlikely.

Exactly. If Jack is omitted, the team will be pitted....if that makes sense....... :joker:

Yertle The Turtle

Apr 14, 2004
Millville, NJ
www.bluelinehockey.net
MePutPuckInNet said:

as one of the boys said: "I want to win, but I want the TEAM to win. If I wanted to win all by myself, I'd be playing tennis."

Bobby Ryan 13 Goals 19 Assists

He is no way a team player
:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->