Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Phil Esposito

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Bobby Hull has typically been viewed as the better player, but is it that cut-and-dried? Does Espo have a legitimate case as a better player? THN’s all-time 100 list from 1998 had Hull ranked 8th while Phil Esposito was ranked 18th. Was Hull that much better? Or is Espo being underrated? Does Espo lose points in a head to head battle because he played a good portion of his NHL career in the high scoring 70’s?

What do you guys think?

Bobby Hull - :

GP- 1063
G- 610
A- 560
P- 1170
Pts/G - 1.101

Playoffs -

GP- 119
G- 62
A- 67
P- 129

3 Art Ross Trophies
2 Hart Trophies
1 Lady Byng

Phil Esposito:

GP- 1282
G- 717
A- 873
P- 1590
Pts/G - 1.240

Playoffs -

GP- 130
G- 61
A- 76
P- 137

5 Art Ross Trophies
2 Hart Trophies
2 Lester B. Pearson Trophies

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'm a bit young to have seen both at their primes. I can only go by things I've read. I've seen the odd, though not too common, reference to Bobby Hull as being possibly the best to ever play the game while in his prime - with comparisons to Rocket Richard and Gordie Howe. Our modern day sensibilities puts Howe in what is now known as the Big 4. One of the people I see often in that #5 spot is Bobby Hull. No one seems to put Esposito that high, even with his gaudy numbers. I trust the actual hockey watchers more than the raw stats.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Bobby Hull.

And that's not 'underrating' Esposito or saying that he wasn't a great player. Bobby Hull just played at a great level for a longer time. Maybe Espo deserves credit for higher peak (although I know that it can be argued that Hull never had such good situation like Esposito had on the Bruins).

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Hull was certainly a much more dynamic (and exciting) player. Espo was and is, as noted above, a vastly underrated player but nowhere near the skater that Hull was. Saw them both and I have to say that Bobby Hull was more of a threat than Espo, but Espo could score with the best of them. Just vastly different players.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hull was certainly a much more dynamic (and exciting) player. Espo was and is, as noted above, a vastly underrated player but nowhere near the skater that Hull was. Saw them both and I have to say that Bobby Hull was more of a threat than Espo, but Espo could score with the best of them. Just vastly different players.

Its rather like comparing chalk & cheese, yes. Hull was far more the complete player while Phil Esposito was a real outlier, eccentric, an anomaly of sorts. Loved the guy, outstanding... but decidedly "offbeat".

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
I would say Bobby - with no slight intended to Phil. Bobby in his prime was a game-breaker, capable of making more happen on his own.

And to think, they had played on the same line. I once read that Bobby remarked that felt as though he lost one of his arms, when Tommy Ivan and Milt Schmidt consummated the infamous trade.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Well said.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You have to say Hull here, there is no other way. I am trying to figure out what Esposito has on Hull. Hull was just great for a longer period of time.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Bobby Hull was a one man offense.

I`ve only seen a handful in my lifetime that I would say that about.

He could beat you with speed, strength, shot and he handled the puck well.

I`m not keen on comparisons much. Espo is the guy who smashed Hull`s goals records and I think because of playing with Orr, he is probably under appreciated.

Two great players, I appreciated both.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad