Bobby Hull or Pavel Bure: WHO WAS FASTER

• Thread starter Tookhavlatandtanguay*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Bobby wasn't too shabby, but this is really a no-contest. Pavel in his prime was about as fast as it got.

Wetcoaster

I had a chance to watch Hull in training camp in 1960 and he was fast but I would put Bure as even quicker.

The two faster players I have seen were Gene Carr (some pick him as the fastest skater all-time) and Bobby Orr who seemed to have a supersonic overdrive.

Also honourable emtion would have to go to Willie O'Ree the first black player in the NHL. I saw him play minor pro in the WHL and he was unbelievably quick.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would be hard to compare with equipment being so much heavier back in Hull's day.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think a better comparison would be Bure vs. Cournoyer. I mean they didnt call him the "roadrunner" for nothing back then. that would be close I'd have to say. Cournoyer was the fastest at his time I would say, and Bure at his.

There's two goals each of them got once that just flat out showed their speed. For Cournoyer it was in game 2 of the '72 Summit Series. Brad Park fed a pass to him on the right wing and it was a perfect pass that caught the Soviet defenseman off guardand Cournoyer just blew by him and put it past Tretiak. Anyone who knows that one knows what I mean. he made the Russian defense look ponderous.

For Bure it was a goal he got in his prime. It's actually on Don Cherry's Rock em Sock Em #6, but it was a game vs. Detroit and Bure picks up a loose puck at his blue line and just flies into the Detroit end going past Lidstrom and then roofing the puck top shelf. It was a goal based on pure speed. It happened so fast, I dont think I've ever seen a player skate so fast from end to end.

Those two guys are better to compare. I'd still take Bure, but barely. Bure is really second to none I'm afraid. Also Bure is well over Hull. Hull was fast but not Bure fast.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I am curious as to where those who pick Bure as the fastest are getting their evidence from. Hull was recorded at a speed in excess of 29 mph. It was in the Guiness Book of records and I don't believe that they put stuff in without some support to back it up. I have never heard of Bure's speed being tested. The only player I remember being tested to see if he could better Hull's record is Bobby Sheehan and he failed.

There is no evidence that Bure was faster than Hull.

Wetcoaster

Big Phil said:
I think a better comparison would be Bure vs. Cournoyer. I mean they didnt call him the "roadrunner" for nothing back then. that would be close I'd have to say. Cournoyer was the fastest at his time I would say, and Bure at his.

There's two goals each of them got once that just flat out showed their speed. For Cournoyer it was in game 2 of the '72 Summit Series. Brad Park fed a pass to him on the right wing and it was a perfect pass that caught the Soviet defenseman off guardand Cournoyer just blew by him and put it past Tretiak. Anyone who knows that one knows what I mean. he made the Russian defense look ponderous.

For Bure it was a goal he got in his prime. It's actually on Don Cherry's Rock em Sock Em #6, but it was a game vs. Detroit and Bure picks up a loose puck at his blue line and just flies into the Detroit end going past Lidstrom and then roofing the puck top shelf. It was a goal based on pure speed. It happened so fast, I dont think I've ever seen a player skate so fast from end to end.

Those two guys are better to compare. I'd still take Bure, but barely. Bure is really second to none I'm afraid. Also Bure is well over Hull. Hull was fast but not Bure fast.
According to Cournoyer the fastest player he ever played against was Gene Carr who had his career cut short by injury.

member 30781

Who do you think the fastest skater is now?
I would have to give it to maxim afinogenov, damn that kid can fly.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
FoppaMan21 said:
Who do you think the fastest skater is now?
I would have to give it to maxim afinogenov, damn that kid can fly.

As quoted earlier, Konstantin Koltsov, he was the one player I wanted the Avs to pick up most just because of his flat out amazing speed. If he could just make a move here or there he'd be quite the player in the NHL.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
murray said:
I am curious as to where those who pick Bure as the fastest are getting their evidence from. Hull was recorded at a speed in excess of 29 mph. It was in the Guiness Book of records and I don't believe that they put stuff in without some support to back it up. I have never heard of Bure's speed being tested. The only player I remember being tested to see if he could better Hull's record is Bobby Sheehan and he failed.

There is no evidence that Bure was faster than Hull.

there is absolutely NOTHING in the guinness book about hull skating 29 mph.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
jaywills1020 said:
there is absolutely NOTHING in the guinness book about hull skating 29 mph.
It may not be in the current edition but It certainly was in older editions, along with his shot speed I have also seen it quoted in other places. Several years ago Bobby Sheehan made an attempt to beat but failed & Bobby Sheehan was fast.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'm not sure about who had more outright speed. For all the talk about Bure's speed, he never (to my knowledge) won the fastest skater competition at the all-star skills contest. I'd say in terms of pure speed, Gartner Niedermayer, Fedorov and Bondra were all faster.

But in terms of speed with the puck on his stick, Bure is the fastest I have ever seen. The puck did not slow him down. Most players slow down a little (or in some cases, a lot) when they have the puck. Not Bure. It was one of his greatest attributes, and one of the factors that made him such a threat offensively.

As for who was better? That's easy. Bobby Hull.

mazzinov

Jan 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
DisgruntledHawkFan said:
Jason Chimera is also incredibly fast. Again, no hands, but he can straight up fly.

Didn't Chimera break the NHL record for the fastest skater? I remember hearing something about that back when he was with the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad