Bobby Clarke -- 1972

Souray44

Jan 26, 2004
Mtl
Does anyone have a clip of Bobby Clarke breaking the Russian star players ankle back in the 1972 series? My dad used to always talk about it and I want to see it for myself.

Thanks.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Does anyone have a clip of Bobby Clarke breaking the Russian star players ankle back in the 1972 series? My dad used to always talk about it and I want to see it for myself.

Thanks.

It is in the DVD. I think game 5 or game 6. Can't remember now.

Today, that is very converstial subject. But at the time everybody in Canada loved it. Shows how important that series was at that time.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
There's also one moment when Maltsev goes past Clarke, is thrown to the ice and when he gets up Clarke slams him in the head with his stick (gaame in Canada). There were also some vicious plays from Guy Lapointe that I remembered.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
The Clarke slash was designed to injure, you can see that on the play for certain. I haven't seen it in many years but I remember it well. Kharlamov was killing us.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Yes, it's on the DVD of the series, which is worthy of purchase for any hockey fan with an scintilla of interest in the history of the sport.

Incident occured in Russia, toward the back end of the series.

If I recall, the icing on the cake is that once the play stops, Clarke meets up either with Kharlamov or another Russian player behind the net, gets right into his face...and cracks that infamous toothless grin. :toothless

If that occured today, the weak-kneed contingent on HF would be freaking out about it for months. :D

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Need to go through this all over again?

The Russians really shouldn´t get too high and mighty as the Soviet team did similar things on the ice. I "remember" Vladimir Martinec being brutally taken out (by defenseman Tsygankov) in the key Czechoslovakia game in the ´74 World Championships; and that really wasn´t the only time...

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Yes, it's on the DVD of the series, which is worthy of purchase for any hockey fan with an scintilla of interest in the history of the sport.

Incident occured in Russia, toward the back end of the series.

If I recall, the icing on the cake is that once the play stops, Clarke meets up either with Kharlamov or another Russian player behind the net, gets right into his face...and cracks that infamous toothless grin. :toothless

If that occured today, the weak-kneed contingent on HF would be freaking out about it for months. :D

Probably, doesn't disregard the fact that it's a pretty ***** thing to do.

Wetcoaster

Probably, doesn't disregard the fact that it's a pretty ***** thing to do.

Years later, John Ferguson, Sr., an assistant coach with Team Canada, was quoted as saying "I called Clarke over to the bench, looked over at Kharlamov and said, 'I think he needs a tap on the ankle.' I didn't think twice about it. It was Us versus Them. And Kharlamov was killing us. I mean, somebody had to do it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Kharlamov

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Years later, John Ferguson, Sr., an assistant coach with Team Canada, was quoted as saying "I called Clarke over to the bench, looked over at Kharlamov and said, 'I think he needs a tap on the ankle.' I didn't think twice about it. It was Us versus Them. And Kharlamov was killing us. I mean, somebody had to do it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Kharlamov
And Fergy would do it. He was an nasty guy. A Clarke type when he played without the ability.

espo*

Sometimes i think about the Clarke play and then the Piestany punch-up always comes back in my mind..........especially that part where you have two Russian players on one Canadian and one of them has the Canadian players hands pinned behind his back while the other Russian player proceeds to knee him right in the face.

And then i sleep well at night and never give a second thought to what Clarke did to Kharlamov.It makes me not care less what Clarkie did,and i don't apoligise for that.

Why should i when i know what i know?

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Clarke 4 life, if I was an omnipotent GM I'd load my team full of Bobby Clarkes and Dale Hunters and Claude Lemieuxs and Ulf Samuelssons.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Sometimes i think about the Clarke play and then the Piestany punch-up always comes back in my mind..........especially that part where you have two Russian players on one Canadian and one of them has the Canadian players hands pinned behind his back while the other Russian player proceeds to knee him right in the face.

And then i sleep well at night and never give a second thought to what Clarke did to Kharlamov.It makes me not care less what Clarkie did,and i don't apoligise for that.

Why should i when i know what i know?

Good point. I wasn't shaking my head in disgust or anything at Clarke's actions, it's just that I recognize it wasn't the most honest route to victory. If anything, that Summit series was a humbling experience for the Canucks, who went through 1999 Kosovo to win it.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006

I am sure Clarke knew what those dirty Soviets would do 15 years later and wanted to pay them back in advance. I am glad you picked a very relevant event and not a less relevant one like the Kasparaitis hit on Gagne last year.

By the way, the Soviet 2 on 1 is negated by the Canadian 2 on 1 going on at the same time (watch from 1:08 at the far left where the Canadian goalie and another player are on one Soviet player)

espo*

I am sure Clarke knew what those dirty Soviets would do 15 years later and wanted to pay them back in advance. I am glad you picked a very relevant event and not a less relevant one like the Kasparaitis hit on Gagne last year.

By the way, the Soviet 2 on 1 is negated by the Canadian 2 on 1 going on at the same time (watch from 1:08 at the far left where the Canadian goalie and another player are on one Soviet player)

who started that fight anyway

Changes nothing for me.I saw what i saw,thus i never particularly give a damn what Clarke did to kharlamov.

They pinned the guys arms back and then another guy kneed him in the face.................real nice,are you proud?

Not sure what kasparitis has to with all of this other then the fact if it was clarke doing the same thing on kharlamov you would still be moaning about that too.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
It is rather interesting will canadiens ever get that it was their team who has provoked all that moments ? Russians came to play hockey. They played hockey better. Why the hell they should start killing canadiens ?
Those, who are proud for Clark for that moment are just idiots. IT IS A HOCKEY GAME. You could crush Kharlamov with a big hit and that would be hockey. But when you are doing such things like Clark has done it is not hockey anymore. It is an only chance for loosers to cope with great Masters.

espo*

It is rather interesting will canadiens ever get that it was their team who has provoked all that moments ? Russians came to play hockey. They played hockey better. Why the hell they should start killing canadiens ?
Those, who are proud for Clark for that moment are just idiots. IT IS A HOCKEY GAME. You could crush Kharlamov with a big hit and that would be hockey. But when you are doing such things like Clark has done it is not hockey anymore. It is an only chance for loosers to cope with great Masters.

Ah yes....you little angels.

When will you guys ever realise your teams and players can be just as nasty little SOB's as anyone else is and capable of pulling some of the most underhanded crap in the game.

Russians came to play hockey and played better?.......they were losing by 2-3 goals when they decided to turn the game into a brawl.

your players and fans make it real easy for me to forget about Bobby Clarke.Like right now

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002

I'm not going to agree that the Russians played completely within the rules (there was a few things over the series). Clarke slashed Kharlamov. It was a vicious slash designed to injure. These statements are true.

No one doubted why it was done and no one doubted Kharlamov was the target. There's no sense lying about it now. That's how it was.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
Ah yes....you little angels.

When will you guys ever realise your teams and players can be just as nasty little SOB's as anyone else is and capable of pulling some of the most underhanded crap in the game.

Russians came to play hockey and played better?.......they were losing by 2-3 goals when they decided to turn the game into a brawl.

your players and fans make it real easy for me to forget about Bobby Clarke.Like right now
Read my post once again - I don't say that only Canadiens played dirty, I say that they have provoked dirty play. I don't think that there are many people that will not respond when opponent beat you with a stick behind referee's back.

Lowetide said:
I'm not going to agree that the Russians played completely within the rules (there was a few things over the series). Clarke slashed Kharlamov. It was a vicious slash designed to injure. These statements are true.

No one doubted why it was done and no one doubted Kharlamov was the target. There's no sense lying about it now. That's how it was.
:clap:

Still, I can't understand people like this:
canucksfan said:
One of the reasons why Clarke is one of my favorite players.
revolverjgw said:
Clarke 4 life, if I was an omnipotent GM I'd load my team full of Bobby Clarkes and Dale Hunters and Claude Lemieuxs and Ulf Samuelssons.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
who started that fight anyway
Who starts fights in Canada vs. a European team games?

Changes nothing for me.I saw what i saw,thus i never particularly give a damn what Clarke did to kharlamov.
Since you don't seem to get my point, I will ask directly. How does the fight in 87 have anything to do with the series of 72?

They pinned the guys arms back and then another guy kneed him in the face.................real nice,are you proud?
Did you look at the 2 on 1 fight near them?

espo*

Who starts fights in Canada vs. a European team games?

Since you don't seem to get my point, I will ask directly. How does the fight in 87 have anything to do with the series of 72?

Did you look at the 2 on 1 fight near them?

Who starts the fights? sometimes us and sometimes you guys....like that day in 87.

How does the fight in 87 relate to 72? i already told you.Any team that will do that is a team i won't worry about what our player does to theirs.......get it?

as for the video i have'nt watched it because i can't see it on this computer.Still would'nt change anything for me.You ganged up on one guy and pinned his arms back and then your other player knees him in the face........all in a fight that your sore loser of a team started a brawl in.I don't care what Clarke did for those reasons.Do you understand now?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Who starts the fights? sometimes us and sometimes you guys....like that day in 87.

How does the fight in 87 relate to 72? i already told you.Any team that will do that is a team i won't worry about what our player does to theirs.......get it?

as for the video i have'nt watched it because i can't see it on this computer.Still would'nt change anything for me.You ganged up on one guy and pinned his arms back and then your other player knees him in the face........all in a fight that your sore loser of a team started a brawl in.I don't care what Clarke did for those reasons.Do you understand now?

You know how ridiculous you sound? It's about as obsurd as some Russian defending a hypothetical attack against Crosby because of what happened in 1972.

Both teams were dirty as heck, but it absolutely blows my mind that Canada (as a nation) cherishes such an event where such a blatant act of cheating took place. There's nothing worse than a premeditated attack against a key member of the opposition - especially one ordered from the coaching staff.

Had the U.S. done something like that in Basketball (even during the cold war), I can honestly say we'd view the victory as tainted. Not that we'd have to resort to cheating with our best players to win.....but you get the picture.

:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->