Bob McKenzie's Top 30 for 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Bob McKenzie's Top 30 for 2001 NHL Draft

1. Ilya Kovalchuk, LW, 6-2, 207, Spartak Moscow (Rus.)
2. Jason Spezza, C, 6-2, 214, Windsor (OHL)
3. Alexandre Svitov, C, 6-3, 193, Avangard Omsk (Rus.)
4. Stephen Weiss, C, 5-11, 178, Plymouth (OHL)
5. Stanislav Chistov, RW, 5-9, 169, Avangard Omsk (Rus.)
6. Dan Blackburn, G, 6-0, 180, Kootenay (WHL)
7. Fredrik Sjostrom, RW, 6-0, 194, Vastra Frolunda (Swe.)
8. Mike Komisarek, D, 6-4, 225, Univ. of Michigan (NCAA)
9. Mikko Koivu, C, 6-2, 183, TPS Turku (Fin.)
10. Pascal Leclaire, G, 6-1, 185, Montreal (QMJHL)
11. Tuomo Ruutu, C, 6-0, 191, Jokerit (Fin.)
12. Dan Hamhuis, D, 6-0, 195, Prince George (WHL)
13. Ales Hemsky, RW, 6-0, 170, Hull (QMJHL)
14. Chuck Kobasew, RW, 5-11, 195, Boston College (NCAA)
15. Igor Knyazev, D, 6-0, 191, Spartak Moscow (Rus.)
16. Carlo Colaiacovo, D, 6-1, 184, Erie (OHL)
17. Jeff Woywitka, D, 6-2, 197, Red Deer (WHL)
18. R. J. Umberger, C, 6-2, 200, Ohio State (NCAA)
19. Colby Armstrong, RW, 6-1, 180, Red Deer (WHL)
20. Jiri Novotny, C, 6-2, 194, Ceske Budejovice (Cze.)
21. Mark Popovic, D, 6-1, 194, St. Michael's (OHL)
22. Lukas Krajicek, D, 6-1, 183, Peterborough (OHL)
23. Tim Gleason, D, 6-0, 199, Windsor (OHL)
24. Alexander Perezhogin, LW, 5-11, 185, Avangard Omsk 2 (Rus.)
25. Fedor Tyutin, D, 6-3, 202, SKA St. Petersburg (Rus.)
26. Doug Lynch, D, 6-3, 205, Red Deer (WHL)
27. Alexander Polushin, RW, 6-3, 198, Tver/Dynamo 2 (Rus.)
28. David Steckel, C, 6-5, 200, Ohio State (NCAA)
29. Greg Watson, C, 6-1, 177, Prince Albert (WHL)
30. Jens Karlsson, RW, 6-3, 200, Vastra Frolunda (Swe.)

Interesting, goes to prove that even the best of the best can't tell the future of these prospects, unlike some Hab fans. :snide:

Pick who should be higher or lower...

Higher:

- Tuomo Ruutu - #2/3
- Dan Hamhuis - Top 5
- Fedor Tjutin - Top 10

Lower:

- Igor Knyazev - Out of 1st
- Jiri Novotny - Out of 1st
- RJ Umberger
- Colby Armstrong - Out of 1st
- Jens Karlsson - Out of 1st
- David Steckel - Out of 1st

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Higher: Tim Gleason

Thank God we didn't take a total mulligan on that first round.

Although, I still expect Jens to contribute on the third or fourth line. With maybe some PP time in front of the net.

leafaholix*

Legionnaire said:
Higher: Tim Gleason

Thank God we didn't take a total mulligan on that first round.

Although, I still expect Jens to contribute on the third or fourth line. With maybe some PP time in front of the net.
FYI, Jens Karlsson has as many points as his goaltender.

Not sure how you still expect him to ever play in the NHL.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Legionnaire said:

Hopefully one day...in the SEL.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Leafaholix said:

for whatever its worth, his game isn't suited for the fast skating european game...he's suited for a more tough physical hockey game...i believe he can contribute if he comes over and play a northamerican type of game...and from some reports i've read, some think he can be a holmstrom...which is fine by me...

Sammy*

Tjutin has done nothing to suggest top 10 . Mid/late teens.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Leafaholix said:

As Jfont said, he doesn't get too much of an opportunity(yeah I know) until the game starts getting more physical during the playoffs. He's has a far better PPG ratio in the playoffs than in the regular season.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
aww man... i cna't believe we took steckle and karlsson out of that class. if even one of them makes it as a reserve forward, it will have already exceeded my wildest expectations for these duds. i hope we don't resign them and get 2 second rounders for comp, that'd be much better then wat they're worth.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
aww man... i cna't believe we took steckle and karlsson out of that class. if even one of them makes it as a reserve forward, it will have already exceeded my wildest expectations for these duds. i hope we don't resign them and get 2 second rounders for comp, that'd be much better then wat they're worth.
i would agree with you with regards to steckel...but karlson, i have high hopes for him.

Sammy*

Oiltalk said:
Kovalchuk, Spezza, Weiss, Blackburn, Komisarek, Ruutu, Hamhuis, Hemsky, Woywitka, Gleason...... and many more IMO.
Komi, Svitov,koivu,kobasew, Cola,Krijeck,Perezhogin,

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sammy said:
Tjutin has done nothing to suggest top 10 . Mid/late teens.

Done nothing? Did you not see him play at all last year? He has shown glimpses into how good he will be. No, he hasn't played a full NHL season but he has definitely shown enough to be top 10.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd say Kovalchuk, Spezza, Weiss, Ruutu, Hemsky, and Hamuis for sure.

Have Koivu or Krijeck played in N.A. yet? How have they done?

I know Perezhogin had a decent year in the A last season but Freddie had a good one in the big league, and I know that Montreal was deeper than Phoenix (understatement) but Freddie was an important player in the desert.

I'd say no way on Svitov and Woywitka.

Blackburn has been injured and inconsistant.

I think Sjostrom and Kobesew play similar styles, but Freddie may have better skills.

Komisarek, and Colaiacovo I haven't seen much of, but I'm not sold on. In a year or two though, they have a very very good chance of proving me wrong. Chistov and Gleason, who I have seen more of, have them same chance. As of yet, though, they haven't shown me as much as Sjostrom. Although, my position on most of these young players is probably out of ignorance, as I haven't seen them play enough to make a fair assesment.

I have seen most, if not all, of Freddie's NHL games. I really like how he plays and what he has to offer. Not only is he fast, defensively responsible, and creative, he's also gutsy, he competes hard, he's a character, and he trains hard. I don't think that he's going to be a first line all-star making 8 million dollars a year, but I think he'll be a valuable, solid, NHl citezen for many many years. In a few years there will probably be fifteen, maybe twenty, guys from '01 that I would take ahead of him, but I don't think he belongs completely out of the first round as Vlad said.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I like Sjostrom, but I'd take Gleason over him any day of the week. I don't care if he ends of scoring thirty goals, Gleason is going to be that valuable. I don't know what the Sens were thinking.

Prucha73

Blackburn has been injured and inconsistant

despite all that, he was the best goalie in that draft and has played 63 games in NHL as a teenager, how many other goalies can claim that?

Also don't forget that he played for one of the worst defensive teams and was denied the luxury of a full time goalie coach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammy*

Kritty said:
Done nothing? Did you not see him play at all last year? He has shown glimpses into how good he will be. No, he hasn't played a full NHL season but he has definitely shown enough to be top 10.
For me, these guys maybe more;
Ilya Kovalchuk, Jason Spezza, Alexandre Svitov, Mike Komisarek,Tuomo Ruutu,Dan Hamhuis, Ales Hemsky,Chuck Kobasew,Carlo Colaiacovo,Jeff Woywitka,Lucas Krajicek, D,Tim Gleason, Alexander Perezhogin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad