Bob Mckenzie relayed draft lottery scenerio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
because there were a lot of teams who didn't make the playoffs, and get that extra $$ from it the isles did? because even though they didn't win anything, they still were better than about half the league? you somehow think that means they should get a great chance at crosby?

and payroll is irrelevant when it comes to draft pickings

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The Maltais Falcon said:
It seems a bit much because you're a Washington fan who wants Crosby to go along with Ovechkin. Anyone who looks at it objectively can appreciate the rationale.

I didn't want Crosby, I just wanted a higher % than Detroit and Tampa. FLA fans are in the same boat.

Go Sabres! :D

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
Levitate said:
because there were a lot of teams who didn't make the playoffs, and get that extra $$ from it the isles did? because even though they didn't win anything, they still were better than about half the league? you somehow think that means they should get a great chance at crosby?

and payroll is irrelevant when it comes to draft pickings

Yes and teams that dont make the playoffs should have 3 picks (unless they have had the 1st overall pick). Therefore if they came up with a system (and there have been several offered this way) where the isles would only get 2 balls that would be fair. My problem is the isles have the absolute min because they got 4 home playoff games in 3 years? Tons of extra revenue :dunno:

How is it fair that Ottawa who has been a cup contender and gone deep into the playoffs gets penalized the same as the lowly islanders who made the playoffs only because half the NHL makes the freaking playoffs? Toronto, Philly, Det, NJ these are teams that deserve 1 pick. Not the freaking islanders who have been sh*t on for years. I mean is there a team with a worse combination of minor league talent, signed NHL talent, bad position in the lottery, a terrible arena, terrible finances, AND has won absolutely nothing in 20 years? The one thing they will have going for them is cap room they prob cant use.

KariyaIsGod*

EroCaps said:
I didn't want Crosby, I just wanted a higher % than Detroit and Tampa. FLA fans are in the same boat.

Go Sabres! :D

Exactly... GO SABRES!

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
In the history of the team, the Sabres have only missed the playoffs in three consecutive years once... but they picked a good time for it :p

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Seems like a pretty fair scenario. Very slightly disappointing because the Kings made the playoffs three years ago and lose a ball because of it... but them's the breaks. There's no fair system that can accomodate every specific circumstance.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If they were smart they would give the first pick to the last ball "standing" and build up the suspense over an hour or two!

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Draft simulator for anyone who wants to play:
http://members.shaw.ca/vorpalbunnies/draftsim/official.html

My original version which allowed you to feel in the blanks:
http://members.shaw.ca/vorpalbunnies/draftsim/

pretty cool...here's how mine turned out,..

1. Buf ( 6.3%) 2. Tam ( 2.2%) 3. Fla ( 2.3%) 4. Phi ( 2.3%) 5. Pit ( 7.1%) 6. Stl ( 2.6%) 7. Nsh ( 5.3%) 8. NYR ( 8.3%) 9. Mtl ( 3.0%)10. Cgy ( 6.3%)11. Car ( 6.7%)12. CBJ ( 10.7%)13. Det ( 4.0%)14. Chi ( 8.3%)15. Col ( 4.5%)16. Ott ( 4.8%)17. Ana ( 10.0%)18. NYI ( 5.6%)19. Phx ( 11.8%)20. Atl ( 13.3%)21. Van ( 7.7%)22. Min ( 16.7%)23. Bos ( 10.0%)24. Edm ( 22.2%)25. Tor ( 14.3%)26. Dal ( 16.7%)27. LAK ( 40.0%)28. NJD ( 33.3%)29. Wsh ( 50.0%)30. SJS (100.0%)

That means the SC Champs would draft #2 overall...pretty crazy. Ugh, my devils aren't drafting till 28. Hopefully the real one doesn't look like this

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
The Maltais Falcon said:
Exactly. Teams that have gotten top-flight studs the past few years should have slightly less of a shot at Crosby. My Thrashers have been penalized the same way for winning Kovalchuk.

Hey, give my team Kovaluchuk and you can have our chance at Crosby. Remember, it can end up being #30. Deal???

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
Collectively, we've placed people on the Moon, and this is the best system we can devise?

Steve Latin*

FlyersFan10 said:
What a joke and a farce of a draft system. While I'm not condoning that the Flyers deserve Crosby or anything like that, it should have been an equal weighted draft for all teams. Meaning, every team deserves a 1 in 30 shot at Crosby. Now you'll have teams whose mediocrity has been rewarded by getting up to four chances to get Crosby. I hope that a large market team like Detroit wins the draft so they can stick it right in Bettman's face. Once again, our fearless commissioner even manages to screw up the draft. I guess the good news is that Sid won't go to Washington.....
:nopity:

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
DaveG said:
I wonder about that with Columbus though, because technically it was their ball that won in 02, giving Florida the #1 pick (part of the deal Columbus made for the Nash pick IIRC). Still, I love that it ended up like this.

No we didn't, Florida won it fair and square. Columbus would have won it had we not been screwed out of a win over the Red Wings the last game of the season. Bettman even made a public comment to Doug McLean about it because Doug had raised hell about the call.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
HockeyMan9 said:
No we didn't, Florida won it fair and square. Columbus would have won it had we not been screwed out of a win over the Red Wings the last game of the season. Bettman even made a public comment to Doug McLean about it because Doug had raised hell about the call.

I stand corrected... I'd rather see Florida with one less ball in this lottery anyway ;)

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
fedorov_jr said:
i'm really hoping for the blackhawks in this lottery..... they seem to be stuck in mediocrity ever since losing roenick and belfour years back....

Crosby becoming a Blackhawk would be terrible for the NHL. Chicago doesn't broadcast home games and the average person in Chicago doesn't really care about hockey anymore. Sad, but true.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
****ing. Pejorative Slured.

So the caps have as much chance ending up 30th as Detroit does? God that infuriates me. I don't mind the whole Zero chance of getting crosby thing, but putting Washington and Ottawa, or Washington and Detroit on equal footing to end up very low in the draft order makes no sense.

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Someone on the Canucks board made an excellent point. Overall, the big winners of this format,before a single ball is drawn, are the teams who would have picked 20-30th overall. With the snake format, their average draft choice becomes higher. Example, TB picking 30th and 60th, can now do no worse than 30th and 31st.

scout46

Jun 2, 2002
Calgary
FlyersFan10 said:
What a joke and a farce of a draft system. While I'm not condoning that the Flyers deserve Crosby or anything like that, it should have been an equal weighted draft for all teams. Meaning, every team deserves a 1 in 30 shot at Crosby. Now you'll have teams whose mediocrity has been rewarded by getting up to four chances to get Crosby. I hope that a large market team like Detroit wins the draft so they can stick it right in Bettman's face. Once again, our fearless commissioner even manages to screw up the draft. I guess the good news is that Sid won't go to Washington.....

Had there been a season, the Flyers would have to trade to get the pick. They can still or just be glad they have a chance. What do you suppose they would have to give to the lottery winner to get the pick? That is, if they don't get it themselves. Greed is not that good. Just ask the players.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
silver_made said:
No team has a gross percentage advantage. This will be the most exciting lottery EVER.

Yeh not only can good teams steal poor teams players, they can steal their draft picks too. The only thing more exciting is the lottery where they kill you when you win. This idea SUCKS!

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
Someone on the Canucks board made an excellent point. Overall, the big winners of this format,before a single ball is drawn, are the teams who would have picked 20-30th overall. With the snake format, their average draft choice becomes higher. Example, TB picking 30th and 60th, can now do no worse than 30th and 31st.

Yes the poor Canucks. Their team sucks so bad. This is just pitiful. Lousy stupid idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad