Bob MacKenzies team last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
I will not make a line up but I will give you my 2 cents on the controversial roster spots.

Smyth is in.
With Yzerman and Mario out I think that should make room for Staal and Spezza, Crosby has been amazing this year as a rookie but this does not mean he is better then the 2 guys mentioned. Crosby obviously has potential but as of right now, the others are more productive.

If rookie makes it this year I would say Phaneuf makes it ahead of Sid. Dion should be the 6th or 7th d man. Staal should be the 13th forward and Spezza should centre the second line. I don't care what line Smyth is on but he needs to be on the team. I think that St.Louis might be the odd man out. Draper should not make it due to his lack of game this year. Im not convinced big bert is the right choice, I would take Doan over him.

IN:
Doan
Smyth
Spezza
Staal

OUT:
Crosby
Draper
Bertuzzi
St.Louis

This is all my opinion, what do you guys think.

JrHockeyFan

May 20, 2005
Not the point

Steveorama said:
So, if Crosby played on Ottawa instead of Pittsburgh, you don't think he would have 14 more points?
Or are you touting Spezza's defensive prowess?

Look at it this way. Last year Crosby was on the World Junior team and was 4th in scoring I believe. And in the Mem Cup, the Knights totally shut him down for the equivalent of just under 6 periods. No points scored after period one.

Now Crosby is making his mark in the NHL but he has not earned the right to be put on the Olympic team. A large part of his rep is the fact that he is young and good. Putting him on the team simply because he is precocious is not right.

Staal and Spezza have both shown they are deserving of consideration and have earned that privilege. Crosby's time will come.

Leave his age out of the equation and there are lots of guys with more points. I do not believe Gretzky will put him on the team.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I think you guys are living in dreamland if you don't think Crosby is on this team.It has nothing to do with who has the most points. It's about who has the most to offer.....and the poster that said St. Louis would be out. :shakehead

wildone26*

Actually it is not about who has the most to offer or who has the most points. It is about who has the most hype, the best connections(eg-playing on Phoenix, living with Lemieux, otherwise), and would create the best marketing hype-wise for the team. On those counts Crosby would get in, on merit he would not.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
RandV said:
In defense of Bertuzzi, what has Doan done to warrant a spot on team Canada either?

Doan has been one of the best players in international play these last few years. I'd be glad to see him being left off for someone else, since there are few players that can shut down entire teams on the big ice as he does :)

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
wildone26 said:
Actually it is not about who has the most to offer or who has the most points. It is about who has the most hype, the best connections(eg-playing on Phoenix, living with Lemieux, otherwise), and would create the best marketing hype-wise for the team. On those counts Crosby would get in, on merit he would not.
If that were true ,then what about Darryl Sutter's comments?You guys just keep coming up with crazy excuses when it comes to Crosby. :dunno:

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
NewGuy said:
It's funny how Luongo gets a free pass when he has looked bad the past month and horrible the past week. I can't understand why he is such a lock for the team.

Probably has something to do with professionals not being short sighted, and taking more than a month or a week's play into consideration.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Re: the Crosby/Spezza/Stall argument. Leaving one of these fantastic players behind is not going to lose the tournament. Whatever Gretz does will be the right thing and I will be happy with it. Quit whining.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I hope they leave Draper and Madden at home and take Morrow instead, he's tougher, faster, and can score more goals.

wildone26*

Lionel Hutz said:
Re: the Crosby/Spezza/Stall argument. Leaving one of these fantastic players behind is not going to lose the tournament. Whatever Gretz does will be the right thing and I will be happy with it. Quit whining.

Oh please, so Grezxty is some god and everybody should believe whatever he does is correct and in good faith, LOL! :p: That will be the day.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
wildone26 said:
Oh please, so Grezxty is some god and everybody should believe whatever he does is correct and in good faith, LOL! :p: That will be the day.

I'll give Gretzky the benefit of the doubt long before I give any of your ramblings a thought.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Spezza should go leaps and bounds above Crosby. If he gets overlooked, I wish nothing but last place for Team Canada and their Crosby crush mantra

If Crosby played with Ottawa, he'd be leading the Sens in scoring.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
rigger said:
I will not make a line up but I will give you my 2 cents on the controversial roster spots.

Smyth is in.
With Yzerman and Mario out I think that should make room for Staal and Spezza, Crosby has been amazing this year as a rookie but this does not mean he is better then the 2 guys mentioned. Crosby obviously has potential but as of right now, the others are more productive.

If rookie makes it this year I would say Phaneuf makes it ahead of Sid. Dion should be the 6th or 7th d man. Staal should be the 13th forward and Spezza should centre the second line. I don't care what line Smyth is on but he needs to be on the team. I think that St.Louis might be the odd man out. Draper should not make it due to his lack of game this year. Im not convinced big bert is the right choice, I would take Doan over him.

IN:
Doan
Smyth
Spezza
Staal

OUT:
Crosby
Draper
Bertuzzi
St.Louis

This is all my opinion, what do you guys think.
Gretzky has said he isn't going to pick 5 or 6 centres and play them out of position. Which is why I don't think Staal/Spezza make it, maybe one of them. He clearly said he has enough natural wingers that he wants.

Crosby is effective at every single forward position, so I can see him getting the nod. Plus, he is one of the best skaters in the NHL already, and that can only help playing a 4th line energy role, which he would fit perfectly on this team.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
jtuzzi said:
Gretzky has said he isn't going to pick 5 or 6 centres and play them out of position. Which is why I don't think Staal/Spezza make it, maybe one of them. He clearly said he has enough natural wingers that he wants.

Crosby is effective at every single forward position, so I can see him getting the nod. Plus, he is one of the best skaters in the NHL already, and that can only help playing a 4th line energy role, which he would fit perfectly on this team.

No question Crosby has being playing great but in my opinion only one of the young guys will make it (ie Staal, Spezza, Crosby). Its a really tough choice to make.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
jtuzzi said:

I agree with that as well. It's no so much saying Crosby is a better player right now, as he is a better fit. Here is what I posted in another thread...

Personally - and as a Sens fan I might add - I don't think Spezza should make the team. He is incredibly talented, but is still a work in progress and does make some very questionable giveaways each and every game. I love the guy and he is a great player and an integral part of our first line, but I'm not so sure Crosby wouldn't have close to 40 points playing with Alfredsson and Heatley. Staal as well.

If a hole opens on a scoring line and team Canada brass think they need some creativity and playmaking, then Spezza is probably the guy ahead of Staal and Crosby. He will make goal scorers around him better.

But the scoring lines are set for the most part. They are trying to figure out who should play maybe 8-10 minutes a game on the 4th line and provide depth. Spezza is not the guy for that. If I had to bet, he'd try to impress too much when he is on the ice and get a little too fancy. Behind the back passes shouldn't happen on the 4th line and that isn't what Team Canada is looking for.

Staal, and even Crosby, will be better energy players on a 4th line. Staal more so at center, where as Crosby can play the wing. Either would be a good choice.

Ganz

Dibs
Nov 4, 2005
Upton
The following will is my lineup. Reasons:

The SIGnature line has a been a force everytime I’ve seen them play.
Spezza and Heatley’s chemistry has just been unreal so why break a good thing up. Kariya is leading the Preds in scoring and the Preds to be honest is a cup contender.
Richards, Lecavalier what can I say? These have been big everytime I see them on the National stage. Staal has been a big surprise. I thought this would be a year where he makes a difference in Carolina but I didn’t think it was going to be like what he’s doing now.
Cpt Canada. There should be no way that he’s left of the squad. All of you already know what he means to the squad. As much as I’d like for him and Prongs to be sitting back resting their body, I’d love to also win gold this year. Thornton and Marleau has something there. Can’t explain it but I remember when these two played on the same line way back when.
As for Sid, might as well get his feet wet.
I have no problems with the D or with the guys in the net.

Gagne – Sakic – Iginla
Kariya – Spezza – Heatley
Richards – Lecavalier - Staal
Smyth – Thornton – Marleau
Crosby

Niedermayer Pronger
Blake Jovanovski
Redden Rhegher
Foote probably

Brodeur Luongo Joseph

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Gretzky has already said he will not play a player out of position. That means you have way to many Centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad