Bob Froese

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
Interesting fact about Bob Froese: He was the second goalie in the history of the NHL to be credited with a goal.

It happened when he was a member of the New York Rangers against the New York Islanders. It was basically the scored the same way Billy Smith scored his goal; delayed penalty, Isles pull their goalie, Isles shoot it all the way down and in, goalie was said to be the last player who touched the puck. They showed the replay over and over again and it was difficult to tell whether or not he touched the puck. I still maintain that he did. However, I still maintain that I did. The NHL disagreed and eventually credited the goal to someone else (I can't for the life of me remember who). I wonder if any other Ranger fans remember this.

Anyway, a few days later Ron Hextall became the first goalie to actually shoot on goal and score. If you listen to the Flyers broadcast of this (which I couldn't find on youtube unfortunately) you can hear the color commentator say "That is a legitimate one! Bob Froese scored one the other day for the New York Rangers but never touched it." I know a lot of people who were confused by that statement whenever they watched the highlight since there is really no record of Froese scoring. This explains it.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
A few years before Billy Smith got his goal; Rogie Vachon was credited with one in a similar situation, but the officials later decided that Vic Venasky had touched the puck so they gave it to him.

I think with the Froese goal, they said he was "the Flyer who came closest to touching the puck" or something odd like that.

Regarding Froese's career: very underrated goalie. Deserved to win the Vezina in `86, taking the Flyers starter job after Pelle Lindbergh's death. His only real weakness to me was stopping rebounds; not a problem in Philly who had great defencemen who would scoop up the loose puck, but on a team like the Rangers it was a little tougher.

Last edited:

ryanbiggame*

Interesting fact about Bob Froese: He was the second goalie in the history of the NHL to be credited with a goal.

It happened when he was a member of the New York Rangers against the New York Islanders. It was basically the scored the same way Billy Smith scored his goal; delayed penalty, Isles pull their goalie, Isles shoot it all the way down and in, goalie was said to be the last player who touched the puck. They showed the replay over and over again and it was difficult to tell whether or not he touched the puck. I still maintain that he did. However, I still maintain that I did. The NHL disagreed and eventually credited the goal to someone else (I can't for the life of me remember who). I wonder if any other Ranger fans remember this.

Anyway, a few days later Ron Hextall became the first goalie to actually shoot on goal and score. If you listen to the Flyers broadcast of this (which I couldn't find on youtube unfortunately) you can hear the color commentator say "That is a legitimate one! Bob Froese scored one the other day for the New York Rangers but never touched it." I know a lot of people who were confused by that statement whenever they watched the highlight since there is really no record of Froese scoring. This explains it.

A few years before Billy Smith got his goal; Rogie Vachon was credited with one in a similar situation, but the officials later decided that Vic Venasky had touched the puck so they gave it to him.

I think with the Froese goal, they said he was "the Ranger who came closest to touching the puck" or something odd like that.

Regarding Froese's career: very underrated goalie. Deserved to win the Vezina in `86, taking the Flyers starter job after Pelle Lindbergh's death. His only real weakness to me was stopping rebounds; not a problem in Philly who had great defencemen who would scoop up the loose puck, but on a team like the Rangers it was a little tougher.

thanks good stuff

Trollo*

huh, that's pretty cool that you get to play hockey with a former NHLer. it's like a rec hockey league or something, right?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Not sure if your story regarding Froese scoring or not is true, but the Flyers broadcast of the game certainly didn't mention it. It does say he's the first ever to actually shoot and score:
http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/tempVideos/sp_041019/history_hextall.rm

Froese was a great regular season goalie that was shafted out of the 1986 Vezina, but didn't get it done in the playoffs.

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
Not sure if your story regarding Froese scoring or not is true, but the Flyers broadcast of the game certainly didn't mention it. It does say he's the first ever to actually shoot and score:
http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/tempVideos/sp_041019/history_hextall.rm

Froese was a great regular season goalie that was shafted out of the 1986 Vezina, but didn't get it done in the playoffs.

I didn't realize that was Gene Hart. Wow, shame on me!

Now that I think about it, it was Boston's broadcast team who mentioned it.

There's a bit of a discussion on the Ranger board about the goal, I'm actually surprised there were others who remember it.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=352291

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I got this book....hockey all-stars from 2000. In it, it's listing your usual HOFers and what not, some guys who deserve to be in the HOF like Kariya and Fleury etc and then I see the name of Bob Froese.

I grew up in the 90s so I know nothing about him but how good was he? I didn't see him ranked in the hockey-reference top 100 goalies so where would he go in that? 50-100 or top 50? Also, where would Darren Puppa rank?

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Bob Froese was about as good as Pelle Lindbergh, Pete Peeters, and Ron Hextall.

But nowhere near as celebrated as any of them. And here's why:

Lindbergh died in a car accident. RIP.

After the Flyers had a poor 1986 playoff, Keenan decided to trade Vezina finalist Froese to New York for Kjell Samuelsson. Ron Hextall won the Vezina and Conn Smythe as a rookie.

Lindbergh had split time with Froese before his accident in 1985, and the Lindbergh/Froese tandem was created by the trade of starter Pete Peeters for defenseman Brad McCrimmon. Peeters, Lindbergh, Froese, and Hextall all contended for "best goalie" while as a Flyer from 1980 through 1987.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Without looking it up I think he had the best winning streak of any goalie to start his career.
I remember him as a Ranger.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
My main Bob Froese memories stem from his AHL time here in Portland as a Maine Mariner.

Froese followed Pelle Lindbergh here as well. Lindbergh was the AHL All-Universe goalie in 80-81 in his rookie season. Froese became the number one after Lindbergh's call up and was a solid guy, but didn't possess the dazzle that surrounded Lindbergh.

He was, however, the goalie on one of the most entertaining teams Maine's AHL affiliate ever produced ---- Tom McVie the human quote machine as head coach, and a rookie named Dave Brown with 400+ penalty minutes (somewhere Jeff Brubaker's head is still spinning.)

I am somewhat surprised that he couldn't find an NHL backup job after age 31. He lost out to Hextall in Philly and as a Ranger, he backed up Beezer until Mike Richter was ready.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Sorry about the above - I'm full of crap (about the streak, not the error on November 1, 1984).

Froese started in 1982-83, and I don't have that data in my logs yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad