Bob Clarke on prices, Goodenow, taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
CorneliusBennet said:
Actually managers across all fields are fired all the time for the failure of their employees to succeed. Clarke would have been fired a long, long time ago by any other owner.
I loved Clarke as a player when I was growing up. He, along with Denis Potvin, Guy Lafleur and Kenny Dryden where my all time favorites. As I grew up and realized just how cheap and classless Clarke was as a player, I have grown to very much dislike him.
And you would be the first person I've ever heard at any sports forum anywhere say "you can't blame the GM for a team's lack of success." Seriously, yes, you can.

To be fair to the toothless one, he does really well on draft day, and occasionally he makes some trades which turn out to be highway robbery. Overall hes been a pretty good GM, you just cant say that hes been good with money.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
MojoJojo said:
To be fair to the toothless one, he does really well on draft day, and occasionally he makes some trades which turn out to be highway robbery. Overall hes been a pretty good GM, you just cant say that hes been good with money.

He's made some great moves and some bad moves. He'd have been fired long ago by any other owner, however. Not the place to argue the merits of Clarkie the GM, however.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
Dr Love said:
Setting ticket prices isn't part of Clarke's job description.

apparently ticket prices have a direct correlation to payroll if you believe the owners so bad contracts given to guys like John Leclair are certainly going to affect ticket prices. So, it's not Clarke's job to 'set' ticket prices but he does so indirectly. That should be obvious, right?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
CorneliusBennet said:
I loved Clarke as a player when I was growing up. He, along with Denis Potvin, Guy Lafleur and Kenny Dryden where my all time favorites. As I grew up and realized just how cheap and classless Clarke was as a player, I have grown to very much dislike him.

The legend of how "cheap and classless" that Clarke was as a player seems to grow by leaps and bounds each year.

Clarke certainly never a Lady Byng candidate, and he certainly used his stick as a weapon at times, but he was far from the dirtiest player of all time. He played the game all-out and took as much as he gave out.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
CorneliusBennet said:
apparently ticket prices have a direct correlation to payroll if you believe the owners so bad contracts given to guys like John Leclair are certainly going to affect ticket prices. So, it's not Clarke's job to 'set' ticket prices but he does so indirectly. That should be obvious, right?
Clarkes job is to win the Cup, season ticket prices shouldnt be taken into account if he makes a move for a player.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
The legend of how "cheap and classless" that Clarke was as a player seems to grow by leaps and bounds each year.

Clarke certainly never a Lady Byng candidate, and he certainly used his stick as a weapon at times, but he was far from the dirtiest player of all time. He played the game all-out and took as much as he gave out.

Again, I grew up watching him play so while I recognize that time distorts memory, I watched him a LOT firsthand as a kid so I base my opinions on him on direct firsthand viewings and not from 'legend.'
And defending Clarke by saying that he wasn't *the* dirtiest of players in an era when the game was borderline criminal isn't exactly a great defense of the guy. It's kind of like saying "yeah, your honor, my client did kick all those puppies but at least he didn't actually kill them." Moral relativity is a dangerous thing no matter where it begins.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
CorneliusBennet said:
No. Clarke doesn't set the payroll either. He's given a spending limit, and that indirectly sets ticket prices. But Clarke doesn't set either.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
Dr Love said:
No. Clarke doesn't set the payroll either. He's given a spending limit, and that indirectly sets ticket prices. But Clarke doesn't set either.

So in conclusion, the contracts given to a guy like John Leclair has no effect on ticket prices, is that your assertion? Because if so, there goes the ENTIRE NHL's position on salary to ticket cost relationships.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
CorneliusBennet said:
So in conclusion, the contracts given to a guy like John Leclair has no effect on ticket prices, is that your assertion? Because if so, there goes the ENTIRE NHL's position on salary to ticket cost relationships.
No, that is not what I said. I made my point quite clear. Clarke, just like all the other GMs, is given a payroll limit. That payroll limit is set by the people above him. And that indirectly sets the ticket prices. Not Clarke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad