Bob Clarke on prices, Goodenow, taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
on ticket prices, they will be reduced.

Q: When the NHL comes back, will ticket prices be reduced?

A: I think if everything is going to be done properly, ticket prices have to come down. I think the (general) managers have to take a cut in pay. We're asking the players to do it, then we should do it as well. I think that's only fair. I'll certainly tell (Flyers chairman Ed) Snider I will. I made my life out of the NHL. I don't think I should benefit while someone else is hurt.

on Goodenow

Q: In your opinion, what are some key components a new CBA must contain?

A: I think the owners have to get down the percentage of revenue going to salaries and the rest of it will all be taken care of. Bob Goodenow can't say he's doing anything for the good of the game. All he's ever done is extract as much out of the game as he could through any method that was available to him. You can say that's the proper way for him to do business, but now the business is shut down. So how much good did he really do?

Q: It's been rumored that Goodenow has told players he would quit before accepting a salary cap.

A: Big deal if he quits. Who cares if he quits? The game's going on. Bobby Orr retired. The game can get along without Bob Goodenow. He hasn't contributed anything to the game. He's caused a lot of problems, he's caused a lot of grief.

On luxury taxes

Q: It's been a long time since the players' last proposal on Sept. 9. Back then they offered a plan that included a luxury tax, revenue sharing and a five percent rollback on salaries. But the two sides haven't talked since. Why do you think they haven't been able to find common ground?

A: To me, revenue sharing is just finding a way to spend the owners' money. That has nothing to do with putting in place a system that works for the players and the owners. That's just taking from one rink that sells out and giving it to another. They're pushing it as a solution, but all they're saying is, `Take Philadelphia's money and give it to Nashville; and Detroit's money and give it to Atlanta.' That doesn't take any genius. That's not a contribution to help the sport.

Im not Clarkes greatest fan but he talks a lot of sense on these points.

YellHockey*

Steve L said:
Bob Goodenow can't say he's doing anything for the good of the game. All he's ever done is extract as much out of the game as he could through any method that was available to him.

Pretty ironic quote coming from a guy who hangs with Allen Eagleson.

The game can get along without Bob Goodenow. He hasn't contributed anything to the game. He's caused a lot of problems, he's caused a lot of grief.

Unlike Clarke's ex-con pal Eagleson, Goodenow has actually improved the integrity of the league.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Steve L said:
Q: It's been rumored that Goodenow has told players he would quit before accepting a salary cap.

Lol, what a great softball to lob Bob Clarke.

Q: It's been a long time since the players' last proposal on Sept. 9. Back then they offered a plan that included a luxury tax, revenue sharing and a five percent rollback on salaries. But the two sides haven't talked since. Why do you think they haven't been able to find common ground?

A: To me, revenue sharing is just finding a way to spend the owners' money. That has nothing to do with putting in place a system that works for the players and the owners. That's just taking from one rink that sells out and giving it to another. They're pushing it as a solution, but all they're saying is, `Take Philadelphia's money and give it to Nashville; and Detroit's money and give it to Atlanta.' That doesn't take any genius. That's not a contribution to help the sport.

That doesnt help the sport? By "the sport", he is referring to what exactly? Its a noble suggestion for him to suggest GM's have to take a paycut too. Im one of the few who doesnt hate Bob Clarke. If he has something specific to say about problems, im listening. But otherwise, I expect a street fighter like him, to be standing up for his teammates. As he is.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Madevilz said:
I would like to know that as well.

Eagleson was criminally charged for his ripping off the players. Goodenow was instrumental in this process. Bringing some integrity to the league and exposing the criminal behaviour and changing it.

Heres a quick link with some background you may find interesting. Goodenow

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
Unlike Clarke's ex-con pal Eagleson, Goodenow has actually improved the integrity of the league.
And that would be by keeping his pal Frost as a certified agent despite being banned from 3 other leagues, punching an owner and doing all sorts of things you wouldnt expect of an agent.

Goodenow doesnt care about the players, the NHL. All he wants is to stay in the job as long as possible and get as much money as possible in the short term for his players while making their long term security very doubtful.

That is not helping the integrity of the league.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
thinkwild said:
That doesnt help the sport? By "the sport", he is referring to what exactly?
Everyone knows the NHL lost a lot of money, moving money around would still mean the NHL loses the same amount of money overall as the income doesnt go up and the costs do not come down.

It just means the losses get spread around the league more.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Steve L said:
And that would be by keeping his pal Frost as a certified agent despite being banned from 3 other leagues, punching an owner and doing all sorts of things you wouldnt expect of an agent.
That is not helping the integrity of the league.
David Frost's status as a NHLPA-accredited agent is under review. He's cemented his own pariah reputation through his actions at any rate.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
If Clarke doesnt want to pay so much of his revenue on salaries, THEN DONT. No one forced him to take on the payroll he has. The Flyers arent spending $70 mil + per season because of arbitration awards.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
MojoJojo said:
If Clarke doesnt want to pay so much of his revenue on salaries, THEN DONT. No one forced him to take on the payroll he has. The Flyers arent spending $70 mil + per season because of arbitration awards.

Then people like you would be complaining that he didn't spend enough to improve the team.

Can't have it both ways.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Did Clarke get fined for doing this interview??? It seems that what he said about Goodenow and the players past presentations might gave gone against the NHL gag order. No???

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Q: In your opinion, what are some key components a new CBA must contain?

A: I think the owners have to get down the percentage of revenue going to salaries and the rest of it will all be taken care of. Bob Goodenow can't say he's doing anything for the good of the game. All he's ever done is extract as much out of the game as he could through any method that was available to him. You can say that's the proper way for him to do business, but now the business is shut down. So how much good did he really do?

OMG LOOK AT THOSE PERSONAL ATTACKS! Its a shame when the OWNERS have to resort to PERSONAL Attacks! :rolleyes:

Funny how Goodenow doesnt RUN to the media like Bettman did and try stir up more negative publicy to the other side.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
OMG LOOK AT THOSE PERSONAL ATTACKS! Its a shame when the OWNERS have to resort to PERSONAL Attacks! :rolleyes:

Funny how Goodenow doesnt RUN to the media like Bettman did and try stir up more negative publicy to the other side.
The NHLPA are quite happy to have personal attacks on Bettman.

Are you against that too or are you a hypocrite?

I dont see Clarke saying anything that is untrue.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Steve L said:
The NHLPA are quite happy to have personal attacks on Bettman.

Are you against that too or are you a hypocrite?

I dont see Clarke saying anything that is untrue.

Try figuring out my post.

BTW I didnt see anything Saskin say that wasnt true either.

Go Flames Go*

That info on Goodenow just makes it easier for people to see that Bob Clarke is right, he did try evertyhing to take and take and take until the fans and all where ripped off.

Goodenow don't want it with Clarke ask Lindros NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

smileymcadam

Feb 11, 2003
A happy place
Visit site
Peter said:
Did Clarke get fined for doing this interview??? It seems that what he said about Goodenow and the players past presentations might gave gone against the NHL gag order. No???

Does anybody have a source for this interview? Was it in a paper? A website? Where did it come from?

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
I used to hate Bobby Clarke until I read this article. He now has a new fan. I didn't realize just how smart Bobby was. Very well said and he likely will gain a lot of respect for his honesty and candid viewpoints.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
thedjpd said:
Then people like you would be complaining that he didn't spend enough to improve the team.

Can't have it both ways.

People like me?

I reserve most of my whining about ticket prices. Bob Clarke is apparently whining that he cant control his own spending. With the revenue the Flyers have, they should be able to field a great team. His inability to win a cup as GM (which is what he's really biching about) has nothing to do with player salaries, and more with some of the lousy trades he has made over the years.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The owners voted in the fine and the ability to have Bettman levy the fine against the themselves as he saw fit. I don't think the fine applies to GM's. I'd imagine that every owner would deal with any sort of discipline surrounding their GM's comments in this issue.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
What a hypocrite! What gall! Isn't this the guy who handed out the contracts to Leclair and Roenick? Didn't Burke say he was ashamed to be called a general manager after Clarke signed Roenick?

How about considering some revenue sharing there, Bob?

To me, revenue sharing is just finding a way to spend the owners' money. That has nothing to do with putting in place a system that works for the players and the owners. That's just taking from one rink that sells out and giving it to another. They're pushing it as a solution, but all they're saying is, `Take Philadelphia's money and give it to Nashville; and Detroit's money and give it to Atlanta.' That doesn't take any genius. That's not a contribution to help the sport.

Fair enough. I agree with him. But the other side of the coin?

I just think if it works in the two most successful sports - the NBA and the NFL - Goodenow should look at it and say, `Hey, how did these leagues get so successful?' The players took a share of their revenue and helped sell the sport.

Maybe because they share revenues with each other before they ask the players to share revenues with them. The NFL shares 70%, the NHL shares 9%. The players are clearly being unreasonable. Everything would be perfect if salaries were tagged to the lowest revenue teams, eh?

Then Clarke will reduce ticket prices. Right.

Tom

I.am.ca

MojoJojo said:
People like me?

I reserve most of my whining about ticket prices. Bob Clarke is apparently whining that he cant control his own spending. With the revenue the Flyers have, they should be able to field a great team. His inability to win a cup as GM (which is what he's really biching about) has nothing to do with player salaries, and more with some of the lousy trades he has made over the years.

The payroll is what it is because of deals like the Sakic, Holik, and Fedorov deals of the late 90's to early millenium.

If a GM goes out and signs players after a good season and they bomb, its not his fault, its the stupid player's fault. I don't like Bob Clarke but you can't blame him for his team's lack of success, it goes from player, to coach, to gm.

The players show up in the season but disappear in the playoffs.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
I.am.ca said:
The payroll is what it is because of deals like the Sakic, Holik, and Fedorov deals of the late 90's to early millenium.

If a GM goes out and signs players after a good season and they bomb, its not his fault, its the stupid player's fault. I don't like Bob Clarke but you can't blame him for his team's lack of success, it goes from player, to coach, to gm.

The players show up in the season but disappear in the playoffs.

Actually managers across all fields are fired all the time for the failure of their employees to succeed. Clarke would have been fired a long, long time ago by any other owner.
I loved Clarke as a player when I was growing up. He, along with Denis Potvin, Guy Lafleur and Kenny Dryden where my all time favorites. As I grew up and realized just how cheap and classless Clarke was as a player, I have grown to very much dislike him.
And you would be the first person I've ever heard at any sports forum anywhere say "you can't blame the GM for a team's lack of success." Seriously, yes, you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad