Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Sharks 9:30 start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'd be more than happy moving on from Yeo but you know with all the injuries and DA selling off Stastny that gives him an excuse for at least another year.

Reactions: Bendak

Mar 6, 2012
They've had bad injury problems, but nothing that they haven't dealt with before.

The Blues are such a frustrating team to be so emotionally invested in. Every year they find new and creative ways to break our hearts.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
They've had bad injury problems, but nothing that they haven't dealt with before.

The Blues are such a frustrating team to be so emotionally invested in. Every year they find new and creative ways to break our hearts.

I'm not saying the injuries give him an excuse in my eyes but you know that's how DA will view it. I can hear it now: "We dealt with a lot of injuries last year to some top guys. Mike probably didn't have a lineup to be competitive with and that's ultimately our fault at the front office for putting him in that position." - DA

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Yeo could go, but I do have concerns that it will send the wrong message if that isn’t supplemented with some real turnover amongst the players. These guys seem like they need a total hardass. It’s a frustrating trend.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Finished watching the game this morning.. ooof

The only way to salvage this season is to get a top 10 pick. If they land outside the bottom 10 it will be the cherry on top of a horrible season.

Yeah pray to whatever you believe in that we our ball gets pulled and we bump into the top 10.

images

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I wanted the Blues to rally together after the Stastny trade and challenge for a spot in the playoffs. After these last few performances, it's clear that won't be happening so I'm now fully onboard the tank train. Lose every single game to get that top 10 pick, I don't really care anymore.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

I think that some are looking at our roster, particularly at forward, with rose-tinted glasses.

Our opening night roster...

Sobotka - Stastny - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Jaškin
Pääjärvi - Sundqvist - Thompson
Upshall - Brodziak - Thorburn

4 top-6 players, a third liner, a prospect and 6 fourth liners.

Last night...

Steen - Barbashev - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Jaškin
Sobotka - Brodziak - Berglund
Soshnikov - Sundqvist - Thompson

4 top-6 players, 2 third liners, 2 prospects and 4 fourth liners.

In terms of personnel, things have been better at points during the season. We'll still finish the season having played more games with 4 top-6 guys on the team than 5. It doesn't change the fact that we've been putting prospects in bad positions. Barbashev is a bottom-6 propsect and Thompson should be in the AHL.

Then we've had inconsistent goaltending from Allen and we persisted in playing Bouwmeester through a, not insignificant, injury for 3 months. In some of those games Bouwmeester hurt the team far more than Butler did in any of his appearances. Now we're without Edmundson.

The team over performed in the first 31 games. The fact is that the hot start made Armstrong complacent. That put us in a position where we didn't know whether to be buyers or sellers, and ended up being caught somewhere in the middle.

Our position in the standings is a direct result of our forwards quality, roster construction and special teams.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Tank and Petro aren't going anywhere. If they do, I won't even be buying single game tickets next season. The problem is that this is a flawed roster. Our best hope is that DA makes some moves for some scoring help in the offseason, Fabbri comes back healthy, and that at least a couple of our prospects look ready to come into the lineup at some point next season. The actual top line guys that we have are paying the price for lack of any supplemental play makers in the lineup. There is no second line on this team. We have depth coming out of our asses, but it is a lot of bleh.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
There is very little chance that Yeo loses his job this summer. If he did, no coach with NHL experience and options will ever sign for Doug Armstrong. I'm not impressed with Yeo, but this is the reality of the situation:

He is in year 2 of a 4 year deal and his first full season as the head coach. He lost a top 6 forward for the season in training camp. He lost another top 6 forward for 20 games mid-season and that loss almost perfectly coincided with the team's tipping point from great to terrible. His #1 goalie has played somewhere between bad and mediocre depending on who you ask. Down the stretch, the team still has a shot at playoffs but the front office decides that we're not truly contenders if we make it and sells a top 6 C for futures. Part of that decision is probably influenced by the injury to the team's best LD 3 weeks before the trade deadline. Shortly after that trade, the team loses another top 4 LD.

I don't think injuries tell the full story and Yeo should absolutely get blame. But every potential head coach is going to look at that and think, "he was the scapegoat and wasn't given a fair shake to prove himself. I'm not going to put myself in that position unless it is literally my only job offer." That's not how you attract an upgrade.

Reactions: Bendak and Alklha

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
There is a large issue regarding the system and the coaching that transcends the roster at this point. The team has no structure, has no confidence and I doubt that Yeo can fix it. No change to the roster in and of itself is going to fix it. Management must honestly address the endemic issues that have driven us into this rut.

Regarding the roster, we need 2-3 talented forwards and a steady goaltender. The defense is excellent. We need to graduate the prospects, hang on to our picks and we will find a path. Trades for vets are very expensive (even the Schenn trade is going to look very expensive when all is said and done) and one vet on a two year contract isn't going to fix this team.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Off the wall question: Let's say this game winds up being the catalyst for Stillman to fire Armstrong (or move him into an executive position within the franchise) and Yeo. I know Sutter's name has been thrown about as of late to replace Yeo, but who could the Blues get as GM if they wound up firing him?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Off the wall question: Let's say this game winds up being the catalyst for Stillman to fire Armstrong (or move him into an executive position within the franchise) and Yeo. I know Sutter's name has been thrown about as of late to replace Yeo, but who could the Blues get as GM if they wound up firing him?
Why would DA get fired? He JUST got offered a new contract. Every move he's made has been to further the vision of moving to a faster, younger, more skilled team.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I suspect that Yeo will be under a microscope next year and that half the coaching staff we currently have will be gone by opening night. I also suspect that with the exception of maybe a UFA signing, and rookies Thomas and Kyrou, the roster as you see it will probably be what we start with next year and we'll have the same conversation again this time next year.

giphy.gif

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I suspect that Yeo will be under a microscope next year and that half the coaching staff we currently have will be gone by opening night. I also suspect that with the exception of maybe a UFA signing, and rookies Thomas and Kyrou, the roster as you see it will probably be what we start with next year and we'll have the same conversation again this time next year.

giphy.gif
I actually disagree that we're not going to see significant changes, at least when it comes to players getting moved out.

We all know that Armstrong is a pretty cautious GM, but we've been a playoff team for most of that stretch. When we are winning in the regular season it makes it more difficult for him to justify making sweeping changes on the roster, easier to believe minor changes can change fortunes. He won't have that going into next season.

As for Yeo, I'd agree that he'll have a short leash next season. The position now is that this is a players issue. Once the players situation is resolved, then it's going to be a coaching issue.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I actually disagree that we're not going to see significant changes, at least when it comes to players getting moved out.

We all know that Armstrong is a pretty cautious GM, but we've been a playoff team for most of that stretch. When we are winning in the regular season it makes it more difficult for him to justify making sweeping changes on the roster, easier to believe minor changes can change fortunes. He won't have that going into next season.

As for Yeo, I'd agree that he'll have a short leash next season. The position now is that this is a players issue. Once the players situation is resolved, then it's going to be a coaching issue.
While I would love it if he did make major changes to the roster, I just don't see the appetite of other teams to take some of these players for anything significant unless they are bundled with prospects and/or picks.

The problems we have on this team in terms of players have little value to other teams. Unless DA can fool some GM into taking some of our passengers, I fear we are stuck with them for next season.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
There is very little chance that Yeo loses his job this summer. If he did, no coach with NHL experience and options will ever sign for Doug Armstrong. I'm not impressed with Yeo, but this is the reality of the situation:

He is in year 2 of a 4 year deal and his first full season as the head coach. He lost a top 6 forward for the season in training camp. He lost another top 6 forward for 20 games mid-season and that loss almost perfectly coincided with the team's tipping point from great to terrible. His #1 goalie has played somewhere between bad and mediocre depending on who you ask. Down the stretch, the team still has a shot at playoffs but the front office decides that we're not truly contenders if we make it and sells a top 6 C for futures. Part of that decision is probably influenced by the injury to the team's best LD 3 weeks before the trade deadline. Shortly after that trade, the team loses another top 4 LD.

I don't think injuries tell the full story and Yeo should absolutely get blame. But every potential head coach is going to look at that and think, "he was the scapegoat and wasn't given a fair shake to prove himself. I'm not going to put myself in that position unless it is literally my only job offer." That's not how you attract an upgrade.
Good post.

The good news is that if we struggle next season, we can move on from him since it’ll be year 3. His leash shouldn’t be too long.

I can’t even watch the team anymore. And there’s no point in making the playoffs. It’s be embarrassing to see them try to matchup against Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->