Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Sharks 9:30 start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
Better effort. Still not playing as a unit. Individuals still not playing at a consistent effort. Schenn, Schwarz played extremely hard. Jaskin works, just has no finesse. 2nd and 3rd lines are useless. Our defensive breakout seems to struggle. Allen played well, but just looks overwhelmed at times

Reactions: Bendak

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I can't recall the last time the Blues were in an extended rut that lasted this long. Hell, it might have been back when Payne was the coach.

Regardless of what's being said, it has to be embarrassing for everyone involved.
I can remember a couple 4 or 5 game streaks under Hitch and Payne but nothing this bad or for this extended amount of time.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
With the 1st pick in the 2018 draft, St. Louis selects Andrei Svechnikov.....

Even though I doubt that comes true... just play along and let it get me through this season.
"...And in a twisted and odd turn of events, with the 11th pick in the draft, the Philadelphia Flyers select Andrei Svechnikov."

Pierre: "Wow guys, what a steal here. the Flyers, with the Blues 1st rounder they traded last year, get this year's Tarasenko. What a great pick, and I bet Doug Armstrong is really kickin himself right now."

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I remember when we hired Yeo as Hitch's replacement, and I was thinking, "Great, this is how I have to live my late 20's."
Then, we started to win, convincingly, and I thought, "Well... maybe Yeo isn't as bad as I thought he was. Maybe he can be this team's Sullivan."
Then we lost Schwartz... and lost games... and then lost 7 in a row... and now are so close to a top 10 pick, that it feels like 2008 all over again. Now all I can think is this is exactly how Minnesota became a shit team, having Yeo coach them. Sigh... here's to next year I guess.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Is there a point at which this is going to cost Yeo his job? I thought it was ridiculous when it originally came up, but if they keep losing 5 out of every 7 games for the rest of the way I’m going to be curious to see. The lack of ability to course correct is pretty damning and something he’s had a rap for coming from Minnesota. Obviously it falls on the players too, but it’s part of Yeo’s job to stop the bleeding. It seems no one has any answers, least of all Yeo himself.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Is there a point at which this is going to cost Yeo his job? I thought it was ridiculous when it originally came up, but if they keep losing 5 out of every 7 games for the rest of the way I’m going to be curious to see. The lack of ability to course correct is pretty damning and something he’s had a rap for coming from Minnesota. Obviously it falls on the players too, but it’s part of Yeo’s job to stop the bleeding. It seems no one has any answers, least of all Yeo himself.
Unfortunately I bet Armstrong gives him another chance next season.

But Yeo deserves as much blame as the players at this point.

Because this is nothing new for him - this is exactly the reason he got fired in Minnesota. That team would go on long terrible stretches like this.

It's not good. I for one have no faith in the guy anymore. I think he's proven what he is as a head coach, and he shouldn't be one.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Everyone has been focusing on our pick placement to predict the darkest timeline for this year, but can you imagine if Dallas goes on a tear and Hitch wins the cup?

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I like Mike but this team looks like it has literally no clue what to do. I can't see Yeo motivating or teaching them next year.

Another source of angst is going to occur if we end up with the eleventh spot in the draft. I know we have largely vetted that possibility in this forum but it will be aired afresh in the press and Armstrong will take some hits over it.

In sum, this is turning into a lose-lose season....and a very embarrassing one for DA and Yeo. I'm not sure that ownership won't demand that a big name needs to go just to keep faith with the fans.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Blues playoffs odds now down to 18. Still feels too high.

As for the draft, I'm not liking it. I think it's borderline likely the Blues finish 11th in the West, and I think it's becoming increasingly likely we finish behind Columbus, New Jersey, Florida, and Carolina.... But the problem is we still need to catch Chicago or one of the New Yorks. we are 7 ahead of the Islanders, and 9 ahead of Chicago and the Rangers. I'm not liking either of those, since the Islanders are awful and Chicago and the Rangers have packed it in.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blues playoffs odds now down to 18. Still feels too high.

As for the draft, I'm not liking it. I think it's borderline likely the Blues finish 11th in the West, and I think it's becoming increasingly likely we finish behind Columbus, New Jersey, Florida, and Carolina.... But the problem is we still need to catch Chicago or one of the New Yorks. we are 7 ahead of the Islanders, and 9 ahead of Chicago and the Rangers. I'm not liking either of those, since the Islanders are awful and Chicago and the Rangers have packed it in.

Yep, have to pass one of those 3 teams. Have 3 games vs the Hawks. 0-3 ? That’s about our only chance i think.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues have 3 games with Chicago...lose them all, and keep going at the current pace, and there's definitely a path to the 2018 draft pick.
Yeo needs to do something about those Schwartz & Schenn guys. Their effort is going to cost the boys some points (gained) the rest of the way. Should probably shut them down....or at the very least separate them:

Steen-Berglund-Schenn
Schwartz-Brodziak-Thompson
Jaskin-Barbashev-Tarasenko
Soshnikov-Sundqvist-Thorburn

Gunny-Schmaltz
Bouw-Petro
Dunn-Parayko

sadly...this lineup would be no more/less effective then what they're currently running out there...so maybe we just need to play the RHD at Center, and the 'scorers' (term used loosely) at defense.

Reactions: Bendak and OSA

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I remember when we hired Yeo as Hitch's replacement, and I was thinking, "Great, this is how I have to live my late 20's."
Then, we started to win, convincingly, and I thought, "Well... maybe Yeo isn't as bad as I thought he was. Maybe he can be this team's Sullivan."
Then we lost Schwartz... and lost games... and then lost 7 in a row... and now are so close to a top 10 pick, that it feels like 2008 all over again. Now all I can think is this is exactly how Minnesota became a **** team, having Yeo coach them. Sigh... here's to next year I guess.

I know the feeling. Today is my 30th birthday. I only watched the 1st period last night since I had to be up at 4am. I knew they'd be coming out buzzing, and liked the tenacity I saw from the team as a whole. I was able to watch the 2nd two periods on replay this morning, and really liked the 2nd period, and most of the 3rd. I had a glimmer of hope that somehow with Allen playing well and the team hustling, I could have the only birthday present I wanted: a Blues win.

Alas, we lose again. Now instead of being able to watch the game Saturday (which we will win), I am forced to have a birthday dinner which for whatever reason must be before 5pm.

As the Ozark Mountain Daredevils put it... I been standin' on the rock, waitin' for the wind to blow...

Mar 6, 2012
I think plenty of this blame falls on Yeo. I'm ready to move on. I've seen enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad