Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I've supported Allen as a borderline playoff goalie ( around 10th through 16th best) all this time and have said the offende is the primary problem.

I stick with the offense being the main issue but I've finally accepted Allen is not and likely won't be THE number 1 we've been waiting for. Maybe I'm just too patient. I still like Allen's contract but mostly because it's a fine cap hit for a backup

Reactions: Bendak

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I've supported Allen as a borderline playoff goalie ( around 10th through 16th best) all this time and have said the offende is the primary problem.

I stick with the offense being the main issue but I've finally accepted Allen is not and likely won't be THE number 1 we've been waiting for. Maybe I'm just too patient. I still like Allen's contract but mostly because it's a fine cap hit for a backup

4 mill a year is fine for a backup?

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

His contract is terrible for backup.

Reactions: Bendak and Blueston

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

$4m is only fine for a backup if you have a starter on an ELC. It isn't a big money starters contract, but we seen the trouble that Dallas had with Niemi and Lehtonen.

The positive is that the contract is probably low enough that a GM will be willing to take a risk on him when he starts playing well again.

Hopefully we go after Raanta in the summer.

Reactions: Bendak and 67Blues

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Doubtful. He's already been listed as DTD, and the timeline is on par for the NHL's concussion testing protocol.

Where did you see he's DTD? Just wondering, as all I could find was an article this morning that didn't say much.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
You do realize that @Ranksu would be beside himself if the Blues had a tandem of Raanta and Husso ?
Raanta/Husso is exactly the scenario I'd want in the second half of next season.

Tandem of Raanta & Allen to start the season, get Allen playing well so a GM with the memory of a goldfish will take him. Gives Husso another half season in the AHL, and then backup role.

Won't happen, but I will share the dream of @Ranksu on this occasion.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Raanta/Husso is exactly the scenario I'd want in the second half of next season.

Tandem of Raanta & Allen to start the season, get Allen playing well so a GM with the memory of a goldfish will take him. Gives Husso another half season in the AHL, and then backup role.

Won't happen, but I will share the dream of @Ranksu on this occasion.
I would like this to happen as well.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016

Your patience is astounding. I mean you waited a whole 49 games after he was one of the best goalies in the NHL after the all-star break least season and was very good in the playoffs, to make your decision.:rolleyes:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Your patience is astounding. I mean you waited a whole 49 games after he was one of the best goalies in the NHL after the all-star break least season and was very good in the playoffs, to make your decision.:rolleyes:

I would say he's shown remarkable patience with Allen. Why should any of us continue to support a tender who at 28 years old still is unsound positionally?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
why Raanta when we've Allen and Hutton + Husso.
We can't continue going into seasons and hoping that Allen is going to work it out. He has been handed the job for 2 years now and hasn't shown any consistency, so if he isn't a starter then we need to look elsewhere. We can't keep being patient and letting the best years of Schwartz, Tarasenko and Schenn slip by.

Blindly hoping that Husso is going to step in and be the saviour could put us in the same position.

Hutton has been great, but he is 32 and this season is a big outlier. Add in that he has never been a starter and we have too many question marks.

Raanta is going to be more expensive, but not prohibitively so. He had a rough year when he initially came to the NHL, but has followed that up with 3 above average seasons. He'll only be turning 29 and isn't really in line to get a contract with crazy term on it. He is strong positionally, so I'd expect him to be a good fit here. The biggest issue is that he hasn't had a lot of experience with a starters workload, but he has fewer surrounding question marks than Hutton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad