Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Kuemper has only been ordinary tonight. The Blues haven't had many good shots, and almost no screens, and lots of shots right at the goalie's midsection.

It is pretty clear that the Blues players started buying into their own hype after we pounded the Oilers. Ever since that game we have stopped working at the little details that made us successful. We are trying to play like a skilled run and gun team which we are not.

Reactions: simon in canada

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
It is pretty clear that the Blues players started buying into their own hype after we pounded the Oilers. Ever since that game we have stopped working at the little details that made us successful. We are trying to play like a skilled run and gun team which we are not.
I disagree. I don't think they are pushing like a run and gun team enough. The D has backed way off and there isn't rotation. Skill teams do not shoot from way outside the slot.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I sincerely hope the Blues aren't buyers at this deadline. This team is just not a contender.

You seriously think we've been conternder? Real Stanley Cup contender?

- Hell no.

but now going downhill zero effect to us, end of February and go deep run I like it.

Reactions: TarasenkosForearm

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
hah well, Brodziak shouldn't be our best player either. I do love me some brodzi tap-ins, but this has been a terrible homestand.
I totally agree. It's horrid that when Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko go cold absolutely nothing happens. They need to fix that Powerplay, the PK has been pretty bad also.

TarasenkosForearm

Oct 21, 2017
I also think that the refs have regressed as the year has progressed. They are not calling the subtle hooks, tugs, pulls. Our PP is so bad, teams are doing it consistently, willing to take the risk of getting called. Just watch the difference in open space last month to this month.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I also think that the refs have regressed and the year has orogressed. They are not calling the subyle hooks, tugs, pulls. Our PP is so bad, teams are doing it consistently, eilling to take the risk of getting called. Just watch the difference in open space last month to this month.
Is anyone surprised?

I have no idea why they insist on perpetuating this yearly charade.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Well, we had a great start to the season playing a lot of young , hungry, lower paid players. We got a lot of production from our top lines. Now we are getting back our highly paid, more experienced players like Steen, Bouwmeester, Berglund, etc. The results since their return aren’t exactly noteworthy. Entire team doesn’t seem to play as intensely. Not seeing an improvement in play by having the vets back.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
We aren't a cup contender this year. Book it.

No mental toughness
No hunger
No killer instinct

The team needs to elevate on the nights we play teams like the Kings and Preds. We seem to take the 1st period off and maybe even the 2nd.

Embarrassing

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
At one point, on the PP no less, I counted 7 consecutive off the mark passes (into the feet or too far ahead) that were essentially unforced errors. I'm not sure the Blues strung three crisp passes together all game. That's just basic execution, and it's killing what little flow they are managing to generate even with their positioning struggles.

The passing and positioning will eventually come around, hopefully at the same time. The special teams are my bigger worry. Those continue to look terrible, and there's really no reason for that this far into the season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Exactly this. We pounded the Oilers and started feeling ourselves a bit too much. Also, as Panger and JK mentioned on the broadcast, seems like teams have figured out how to play against and effectively defend some of the things we were having a lot of success doing early in the year.

This stretch better be a real wakeup call for the boys. With the veteran leadership and character on this team, I have no doubt they'll figure things out and get back on track. Hope they don't take too long tho because this is really frustrating hockey to watch and other central teams are playing well.

Lakas

And i'll do it again in 2 minutes
Apr 7, 2016
Inunaki Village
We had the momentum when it was 2-1. I really don't like b**chin about officiating, but that really killed it.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Lots of issues right now (Steen, etc) but the goaltending certainly hasn't been outstanding.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I've just this empty feeling....but hey this ins't end of world, we'll come back, I'm not worried at all. I hope Blues team have good happy xmas.

Time for bed and goodnight sleep.

watch

Reactions: Shellz

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
At one point, on the PP no less, I counted 7 consecutive off the mark passes (into the feet or too far ahead) that were essentially unforced errors. I'm not sure the Blues strung three crisp passes together all game. That's just basic execution, and it's killing what little flow they are managing to generate even with their positioning struggles.

The passing and positioning will eventually come around, hopefully at the same time. The special teams are my bigger worry. Those continue to look terrible, and there's really no reason for that this far into the season.
I agree the sloppy passes are absolutely killing our ability to make space. I would contend that our D are not active because the passing is so poor. We are not creating space, so there is no extra voids for our D to find. When the forwards are wheeling and dealing the opposing team overcompensates. That gives our D room to operate.

The sloppy passes are also yielding turnovers. That keeps our D from activating as well. Your not going to risk a pinch play if you have no confidence that passes will be in point.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I know I sounded all 'doom and gloom', but there's no reason to call this team "bad". This is a great team with lots of talent at all three positions. We just need to fix the special teams (holy shit what the hell was that 'formation'?), and need to get another scoring threat. Hopefully we make a trade to fix the latter by Monday, and practice on Sunday to get the fundies down again. Our vets are pressing to get stuff done (Tarasenko, Steen), and we were extremely frustrated by all the hooking and holding lately. We've got to play with more urgency to beat that with skill and speed; we can't go back to being a bashing team that plays the cycle all day.

Again, this is a good team. There is just some questionable decision-making by the special teams' coaches, a lot of pressing by our top offensive players, and a (unsurprising) return to allowing hooking and holding. If we can get a good set of practices in, and perhaps fire whomever is running the special teams, we can get back on track.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
Looks like I picked a good one to miss (went to see Disaster Artist—highly recommend it by the way). At least there’s not too long before the next game to hopefully wash the taste of this one away.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I’m just now sitting to watch the game. I spent the evening watching a performance of Prokofiev’s 5th Symphony. A very Russian piece of music. This was the piece he wrote at the close of WWII. Anyway, thought maybe Elk would appreciate that.

Reactions: simon in canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad