Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs Jets - Fri Feb 9 7:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I'm happy Roslo and Petan are playing together, but a little confused at playing Petan center and Roslo wing, since they've done opposite that all year on the Moose.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'm happy Roslo and Petan are playing together, but a little confused at playing Petan center and Roslo wing, since they've done opposite that all year on the Moose.

Think about what happens when we get healthy at C and Petan is back with the Moose. Less disruption to Roslovic this way

Reactions: ocdaddy

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Bad idea, Maurice. Keep Wheeler on RW. You have enough good Cs and Wheeler is much better on the wing.

It is just a what if, perhaps related to our Zc health. I don't believe this is the "plan"

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Post-practice player audio: Wheeler, Scheifele, Chiarot and Roslovic.

Coach Maurice scrum topics: On how good the Little line has been playing. Update on Hutchinson/Lemieux/Myers. Thoughts on the Blues. On goalies being concussed in practice. Does this change his plan for Connor Hellebuyck? Update on Steve Mason. On Wheeler as centre/winger. Does backup goalie position put goalies on trade radar? On Jack Roslovic taking a "lesser role" with Scheifele back. The role of Wheeler allowing Jets to survive the absence of Scheifele. On Andrew Copp's growth as a player. Maturation of Copp. The battle testing of Jets young players. Importance of getting Scheifele back to Wheeler. Do they have to guard against an "exhale" with Scheifele back?

To listen click here.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Bad idea, Maurice. Keep Wheeler on RW. You have enough good Cs and Wheeler is much better on the wing.

Maurice just said after practice that the teams defensive numbers all escalated with Wheeler at centre. Jets have the wingers to make this happen. Some combination of:
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Wheeler-Roslovic
Laine-Scheifele-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Matthias-Hendricks-Dano

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Official now. IR lost is getting bigger. Hutch wasn't added but likely could at some point

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't believe that line harms the team, though.

I like to look at more than just fancystats.

The things that Tanev and Hendricks do on a daily basis are more valuable than the things that Dano and Petan have done to this point.
Hendricks away from Perreault has been pretty bad - not just fancy stats...outscored. But maybe his PK skills swing the balance in his favor. I think the team should take a good look at a skilled 4th line, as they appear to be doing. That Petan line was very good against the Coyotes bottom 6, but lets see how they look against a real team...if they can keep tilting the ice and outscoring, then the Jets are in good shape. If it doesn't work out, Hendricks isn't going anywhere.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I have a hard time believing that Hendricks is an overall more effective center than either Petan or Roslovic. Reeeeeaaaal hard time

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't believe that line harms the team, though.

I like to look at more than just fancystats.

The things that Tanev and Hendricks do on a daily basis are more valuable than the things that Dano and Petan have done to this point.

Most fans know it. Hendricks and Tanev have played their role well. Only people who have anything bad to say about them are of a certain... following.

Reactions: Luc Labelle and Jet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Most fans know it. Hendricks and Tanev have played their role well. Only people who have anything bad to say about them are of a certain... following.

Not sure why they're a package deal, though. Tanev and Hendricks bring different things to the table. I get the benefits of having a healthy Tanev in the lineup over and above the intangibles, but find Hendricks a harder sell. Not discounting the value(s) of either player, just noting that they're not equivalent in their contributions or replaceability.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Maurice just said after practice that the teams defensive numbers all escalated with Wheeler at centre. Jets have the wingers to make this happen. Some combination of:
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Connor-Wheeler-Roslovic
Laine-Scheifele-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Matthias-Hendricks-Dano

They dropped with Wheeler on the ice though... it wasn’t Wheeler at centre escalating the team.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Full marks IMO for trying different combos out right now until we get healthy.
Agreed. Let Mo have some fun experimenting. He seems to have the Midas touch this year regarding his decisions. If we were lower in the standings and not so banged up I'd have a different take. Gotta say it must be fun working with a line-up like the Jets have. Lotsa options.

Kill the Blues pls.

Reactions: Jets2point0

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I have a hard time believing that Hendricks is an overall more effective center than either Petan or Roslovic. Reeeeeaaaal hard time
Roslo - probably not. Petan, still waiting to see.

I thought Petan was more effective than I've seen him before against the Coyotes.

There's no doubt that Petan is more skilled than Hendricks, but it remains to be seen if he can provide more benefit to the team than Hendricks can - and that is the whole package, not only the role on the ice, but mentally for the team as well.

Hockey, in my mind is a sport that is more impacted by the team's mental state than most others. We continually seem to ignore this and want to just ice the most skill possible, even though this is continually proven to be less effective than dressing a well balanced lineup, which includes physicality, mental toughness, hockey IQ, and defensive smarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad