GDT: Blues vs Canadiens 7pm- Who Is Robert Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
:blues

:habs

Of course it is 90's night at the Scottrade Center tonight, so let's take a second to honor one of the best things to come from the 90's...Robert Thomas. Thomas is a lesser talked about, lesser sought after prospect outside of the Gateway to the West. For any Montreal fans dropping by: Welcome! Since you're here, take a second to learn about this Blues pick you may have never even heard of before. Robert Thomas currently has 22 goals and 56 points in his D+1 season in the OHL as a very good two-way center. His 22 goals in 35 games already bests his 16 goals all of last season. He was recently traded from London to Hamilton for picks as far out as 2022! Now I know you all up there in Montreal are pretty deprived of good centers so you're probably thinking "Should we include him in every proposal we make for say, Max Paciorrety?" And the answer is yes absolutely you should.

cut.jpg

Here he is on draft day when literally any team could have taken him.

IMG_1235-e1516130166123.jpg

And here is for Team Canada at the WJC, which I guess some of you Habs faithful may have caught. Hopefully this is as close as he and fellow Blues prospect Jordan Kyrou ever get to wearing red for a Canadian team. I hope you've enjoyed this quick profile of Robert Thomas! I look forward to seeing if this generates any dormant interest in Thomas, who we should note, we'd sure like to hang on to as Blues fans.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I for one, am now completely convinced that the solution to what ails us is to trade Roberto Tomato to the Montaluego Habituants for their Patches McGee.

I've given it some careful thought, and read through the pages, and I think there's a good argument to make the move.

And, didja here? Mac Bourgeoisie was at the game the other night and saw young Roberto Tomato! It's a done deal as far as I'm concerned.

It will be sad losing Roberto Tomato, whose accolades already include being big, speaking Frank, and losing to Jordan the Kyrou in their last game, but I think Patches McGee will be well worth it to our decrepit and aging team for their last playoff push. It's a matter of time before the Blooed get sent off to become the Nordiqkues anyway, so might as well get one last good one in.

Attachments

• ROBERTO TOMATO.png
    ROBERTO TOMATO.png
    706.3 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
In all seriousness Montreal’s defense without Weber is shockingly bad. I’m still surprised Montreal has declined as rapidly as they have. They seemed to be in a good spot a couple years ago. Just a series of missteps.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Does this Robert Thomas speak French?

Sadly both of those names have French pronunciations but they are spelled the same way so this joke wasn't as effective as if I could have made it Róbert Tomás or something to that effect.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
In all seriousness Montreal’s defense without Weber is shockingly bad. I’m still surprised Montreal has declined as rapidly as they have. They seemed to be in a good spot a couple years ago. Just a series of missteps.
Were they in a good spot?

Otter wasn't wrong when he said their entire defensive system was Price.

Trading a defensive prospect like Sergachev for Drouin was insane though. Unless you know he is going to be a centre, you don't trade a defenseman with that kind of upside... wingers are just too easy to add elsewhere.
Does this Robert Thomas speak French?

Sadly both of those names have French pronunciations but they are spelled the same way so this joke wasn't as effective as if I could have made it Róbert Tomás or something to that effect.
Some Montreal fans seem to think so.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Trading a defensive prospect like Sergachev for Drouin was insane though. Unless you know he is going to be a centre, you don't trade a defenseman with that kind of upside... wingers are just too easy to add elsewhere.

I mean Price-Subban-Patches isn’t bad as a core of a team. That’s a top 3 goalie, top 10 D-man, and a 30+ goal guy. Then they had Gallagher, Galchenyuk (for all his warts he’s still a useful player) coming up. They didn’t have everything in place but they were in a much better spot at least. Trading Subban for Weber was a wtf trade the moment it happened. Letting Markov leave for nothing given their defense is odd. Whereas now they’re in “blow it up territory.”

Reactions: 67Blues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Yeah, Montreal was never really that good overall. Price masked a lot of their issues. They had a top heavy defensive core, but the others guys weren't very good. They've had a few good forwards, but never a truly high-end forward to carry the load and over-rated guys like Galchenyuk.

Reactions: 67Blues and Alklha

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I mean Price-Subban-Patches isn’t bad as a core of a team. That’s a top 3 goalie, top 10 D-man, and a 30+ goal guy. Then they had Gallagher, Galchenyuk (for all his warts he’s still a useful player) coming up. They didn’t have everything in place but they were in a much better spot at least. Trading Subban for Weber was a wtf trade the moment it happened. Letting Markov leave for nothing given their defense is odd. Whereas now they’re in “blow it up territory.”
Look back and compare them to our team... worse centre depth(!!), worse wingers, worse defense and better goalie. Hardly a great group of prospects. Subban is a #1D, but I would describe him as 10-20 in range.

They were in that rough spot of being good enough to be competing for the playoffs, but not going to do anything when they got there and not getting the assets to build.

Most teams have a few very good players, but there wasn't much behind that.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Look back and compare them to our team... worse centre depth(!!), worse wingers, worse defense and better goalie. Hardly a great group of prospects. Subban is a #1D, but I would describe him as 10-20 in range.

They were in that rough spot of being good enough to be competing for the playoffs, but not going to do anything when they got there and not getting the assets to build.

Most teams have a few very good players, but there wasn't much behind that.

Yeah they certainly had a lot of holes. I guess my thing is they exacerbated with a couple immediately awful deals where they could have just done a much easier, much less painful rebuild than they’re looking at now. And would’ve had at least Price and Subban on the other side of it, and more than likely Patches as well.

At the end of the day for all the hand wringing that was going on here in December, we should be thankful we’ve got the team and prospects we do.

Reactions: Alklha

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
It really highlights how a couple of bad deals can really decimate a team for quite a few years and force a rebuild. I will compliment Armstrong on the fact that he never has taken it to that level. He's had a couple of questionable signings/extensions, but beyond that, he's run a pretty stable ship. Except for a couple of really bad years, the Blues as an organization have avoided a complete 3-5 year rebuild phase of really poor hockey.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
CROSS POST FROM TRADE FORUM

SOOOOOOO a buddy of mine just blew my mind...something i never thought of with this :habs talk going on.... What if Thomas is part of a trade, but not for Patches, or Gallagher, or Galchenyuk...what if Army is going for his OG Man-Crush-Monday...Drouin. 100% okay with Thomas for Drouin! IDK just a fun thought to a scary conversation.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
If there’s one guy they shouldn’t trade I would think it’d be JD...
Oh I 100% agree, it still gets me gitty thinking about it though. Army isn't going to ship off the 1 future player we have for a 2018 cup run...He isnt that stupid, but what if he is building a package for a player he has wanted for a while for the player(s) they are wanting. They WANT/NEED/CRAAAAAVE Thomas so I would go for the biggest/best return possible return and make them say no. Why not!? you are not calling them!

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Oh I 100% agree, it still gets me gitty thinking about it though. Army isn't going to ship off the 1 future player we have for a 2018 cup run...He isnt that stupid, but what if he is building a package for a player he has wanted for a while for the player(s) they are wanting. They WANT/NEED/CRAAAAAVE Thomas so I would go for the biggest/best return possible return and make them say no. Why not!? you are not calling them!
What kills me is how people poo-poo Thomas as just a prospect, may not pan out, etc, yet every proposal from teams include him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->