Blues Top 10 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
All these prospect lists means it's my turn, whether the cupboard is bare or not. Actually, it reminded me of a line from a favorite movie...trivia time to all our in-house movie buffs...

"If there's a lot of people doing it, there's a lot of people doing it".

To the prospect list...ok, ok, it’s not quite the who’s who list of prospects some teams have, but with Thornton, Heatley, Lecavalier and Klesla already graduated to the bigs, the Blues aren’t exactly rebuilding…

#1 – F, Chuck Kobasew Blues 1st round pick, 2001 HFNHL Entry Draft)
Chucky is expected to compete for a spot on the Blues 4th line next season, and ultimately settle in on the 2nd line down the road. Despite his latest scoring woes, he is still regarded as blue-chip scorer with 20-30 goal potential.

#2 – F, Daniel Paille (Blues 1st round pick, 2002 HFNHL Entry Draft)
Captain of the Canadian WJC team and the Guelph Storm, Paille is a buzz-saw on skates in the mold of Mike Fisher and Mike Peca. A sure-fire HFNHL checking line winger down the road, with the potential to step up to the scoring line and wear the “Câ€, Paille is still a couple of years away, but could be a Selke candidate in his prime.

#3 – G, David LeNeveu (Blues 3rd round pick, 2002 HFNHL Entry Draft)
An AHL allstar as a rookie, LeNeveu has put up stellar numbers every where he has played backed by his text book fundamentals and icey cool demeanor. With the slow development of goaltenders however, he is still a long way off from the HFNHL and not scheduled to arrive in St. Louis for three years.

#4 – F, Garth Murray (Blues 3rd round pick, 2001 HFNHL Entry Draft)
Murray is old-school tough and has NHL caliber speed and skills, but is still trying to put it all together. Combined with Paille and Jason Wiemer, they could make up scary tough lunch pail line for the Blues down the road.

#5 – F, Peter Sejna (UFA signing, 2003)
The 2003 Hobey Baker winner, Sejna had a rather rude awakening in trying to make the transition from Colorado College to the NHL, but has settled down to produce some solid numbers in the AHL since Christmas. Sejna is seen a solid depth scoring forward down the line.

#6 – G, Michael Garnett (Blues 2nd round pick, 2001 HFNHL Entry Draft)
Solidly in place as the Chicago Wolves starting goalie now, Garnett has really emerged this season and is expected to play a few more seasons in the AHL before getting a long look.

#7 – D, Josh Gorges (Blues 6th round pick, 2002 HFNHL Entry Draft)
A late round steal by the Blues in 2002, Gorges was a member of the 2003 WJC team for Canada and is regarded as one of the top defenceman in the WHL. Silky smooth and cool under pressure, Gorges has been compared to a slightly smaller Wade Redden. Admittedly, it was the Blues I who made that comparison.

#8 – D, Paul Bissonnette (Blues 3rd round pick, 2003 HFNHL Entry Draft)
Captain of the Saginaw Spirit, Bissonnette has already been deemed a much better pro after his stellar play in training camp and the NHL preseason. Seen as a solid role playing defenceman down the line.

#9 – D, Zack Fitzgerald (Blues 3rd round pick, 2003 HFNHL Entry Draft)
Another old-school warrior, who drop his gloves at the blink of an eye, Fitzgerald also has solid skills and great mobility. Seens a future Brendan Witt, and hopes to learn from the Blues rear-guard when he arrives in a few years.

#10 – D, Ross Lupaschuk (acquired trade with the Dallas Stars in 2003)
NHL skills, size and speed, Lupaschuk continues to refine his game in the AHL. Hoping to challenge for a depth spot in 2004-2005.

Honourable Mention:
Denis Denisov (Blues 8th, 2000): emerging as one of the top rear-guards in the RSL
Dustin Byfuglien (Blues 3rd, 2003): “Bubba†was one of the top scoring d-men in the WHL this season.
Brent McLellan (Blues 4th, 2001): hulking d-man with grit and considerable upside.
Colin McDonald (Blues 3rd, 2003): took off with Providence late in the season.
John Laliberte (Blues 6th, 2002): scoring line forward for Boston University
Jonathon Zion (Blues 3rd, 1999): Dominating in the ECHL, and getting a cup of coffee in the AHL
Cory Campbell (Blues 5th, 1999): the former Belleville Bull posted similar numbers to Irbe while with the Chiefs in the ECHL.
Scott Kelman (Blues 1st, 1999): another dominant ECHLer, Kelman is still trying to shed the bust label as the HFNHL Blues first ever draft pick.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Scott Kelman (Blues 1st, 1999): another dominant ECHLer, Kelman is still trying to shed the bust label as the HFNHL Blues first ever draft pick.

And there I was, cursing you for taking him just ahead of me. I ended up taking Brett Lysak. Suffice to say we both got screwed! ;)

Drawing a blank on the quote, which irks me - I usually do well at irrelevent trivia - it's the relevent stuff I have a problem with!

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Ohio Jones said:
And there I was, cursing you for taking him just ahead of me. I ended up taking Brett Lysak. Suffice to say we both got screwed! ;)

Drawing a blank on the quote, which irks me - I usually do well at irrelevent trivia - it's the relevent stuff I have a problem with!

Yeah, I certainly wasn't interested in the top Euro on the board, some kid named Havlat. Or even that Jillson fellow.

HINT: It was said from one Oscar winner to an another, the latter of which won his first Oscar for this movie. He never showed up though, because he'd been nominated a bunch of times up to that point and had never won.

And they're talking about a "game".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad