Half-Assed GDT: Blues Sharks

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Sadly this team has no heart. They showed last night that they don't belong in the playoffs. Embarrassing effort
they have no identity. they dont even have team unity. what is something they excel in?

just a bunch of overrated and washed up mercenaries playing for a paycheck. outside of Binner and Sunny, not much else there. Thomas was good but the last month hes been a ghost. If he is playing through a injury, he needs to just shut it down.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sadly this team has no heart. They showed last night that they don't belong in the playoffs. Embarrassing effort
they have been going full speed trying to make up points for weeks. Last night they thought would be an easy game and let their guard down. They paid the price. no team is at their best every night. heck, we have been beneficiary of many of league's better teams not taking us seriously enough.

I still contend our biggest issue is we just don't have enough good players. thomas looks worn out, mentally and physically, with all the load he has been forced to carry. you add a 2nd line center, another top 6 winger (could be bolduc or another prospect as they develop), 1-2 top 4 d, and this team looks completely different. it's going to take time, and until we get there, our off nights are gonna be ugly.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Tough luck loss. Normally I wouldn’t care much about a game like that - on to the next. Unfortunately the Blues put themselves in a situation where that’s probably the end of their playoff chances.

Don’t think the effort was horrible, mostly just shit luck/bounces. But when you’re in position the Blues are in, you couldn’t afford to have that happen.

Who the f*** loses to SJ twice while grossly outplaying them? I mean honestly…lol

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
they have no identity. they dont even have team unity. what is something they excel in?

just a bunch of overrated and washed up mercenaries playing for a paycheck. outside of Binner and Sunny, not much else there. Thomas was good but the last month hes been a ghost. If he is playing through a injury, he needs to just shut it down.

Video games.

Also, what do you expect when you start a rookie goalie against a power house like the Sharks?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I think there may be a limit of how many moves a team can make after the Trade Deadline in regards to calling players up/sending them down?
you only get 4 callups after tdl. don't believe there is a limit on how many you can send down, but if they weren't on ahl roster at tdl they aren't eligible for postseason.
True, but this team was on the outside looking in at the deadline. If we needed call-ups, there's always "emergency conditions" which teams (ab)use.

they have been going full speed trying to make up points for weeks. Last night they thought would be an easy game and let their guard down. They paid the price. no team is at their best every night. heck, we have been beneficiary of many of league's better teams not taking us seriously enough.

I still contend our biggest issue is we just don't have enough good players. thomas looks worn out, mentally and physically, with all the load he has been forced to carry. you add a 2nd line center, another top 6 winger (could be bolduc or another prospect as they develop), 1-2 top 4 d, and this team looks completely different. it's going to take time, and until we get there, our off nights are gonna be ugly.
I really don't want Drew coaching us next year. I don't see a team, I see a mess.
A lot of this comes down to the Blues deciding when to put in effort. Much of this season, it played to the level of its opponent. Great when we had a Boston or Colorado or Vancouver on the other side, not so good when it was a Chicago or Columbus or ... last night, San Jose.

Overall, I can't look at this roster and see "guys can give their all, and over 82 games it's a playoff team." And Bannister's "work really hard" mantra is a great AHL tool, it's great prep for the NHL, but when you don't have talent to compete "work hard" only gets so far. We're seeing how far it gets, and that's 17th best in the league because of really good goaltending. Bannister coming back next season would be like bringing back Davis Payne for how the Blues did late in the 2009-10 season and thinking "a full season and they'll be even better."

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
True, but this team was on the outside looking in at the deadline. If we needed call-ups, there's always "emergency conditions" which teams (ab)use.

A lot of this comes down to the Blues deciding when to put in effort. Much of this season, it played to the level of its opponent. Great when we had a Boston or Colorado or Vancouver on the other side, not so good when it was a Chicago or Columbus or ... last night, San Jose.

Overall, I can't look at this roster and see "guys can give their all, and over 82 games it's a playoff team." And Bannister's "work really hard" mantra is a great AHL tool, it's great prep for the NHL, but when you don't have talent to compete "work hard" only gets so far. We're seeing how far it gets, and that's 17th best in the league because of really good goaltending. Bannister coming back next season would be like bringing back Davis Payne for how the Blues did late in the 2009-10 season and thinking "a full season and they'll be even better."

I highly doubt "work hard" is the extent of Bannister's coaching mantra. Where did that even come from? Because he doesn't talk Xs and Os to Jeremty Rutherford and Lou Korac, he only knows "work hard"? Also if its the lack of talent that is the issue, why is that reflective on the coach? As you said, we don't have the talent to compete. Honestly, its more important to fix the talent than the coach at this point.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
heck, we have been beneficiary of many of league's better teams not taking us seriously enough.
Thought the same thing. Great goaltending and too many teams not taking the Blues seriously enough.

Bannister coming back next season would be like bringing back Davis Payne for how the Blues did late in the 2009-10 season and thinking "a full season and they'll be even better."
Again, thought the same thing. Bannister seems like a good dude and all, but he is in over his head, just like deer-in-the-headlights Payne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad