Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Jets 2PM start

Status
Not open for further replies.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
This is a sloppy hockey team. And you can’t just chalk it up to an off night because as it’s been pointed out, our underlying numbers are BAD. We have way too much talent to be outplayed this often. It really doesn’t make any sense to me but something just isn’t gelling. I know our record is still good but that’s because we have the skill to get away with it in the regular season. Playoffs will be a whole new animal.

Our team defense is horrible. And it’s not the fault of just the d-men. I don’t see enough forwards playing hard and helping out.

I no longer want to trade for Chychrun or any defenseman. This is a team problem, not a problem with the defensive core. There’s no realistic guy we can acquire that would fix our issues. It’s bigger than one player.

Agree completely. The whole is not equaling the sum of the parts. The missing ingredient is grit and between now and playoff time it better show up.

Edmundson, Marroon, Steen, Blais all played a hard game that we don't have. Huge problem.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Agree completely. The whole is not equaling the sum of the parts. The missing ingredient is grit and between now and playoff time it better show up.

Edmundson, Marroon, Steen, Blais all played a hard game that we don't have. Huge problem.

TBH I think Buchnevich brings more grit than Blais did.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Me after the Toronto loss: pissed for many days

Me after the blowout in Calgary: okay, a clunker...it happens

Me after the half-assed loss to a broken down Jets team: I don't think this team has what it takes to go deep into the playoffs
I don’t think you can draw too many inferences from random game against middling team.

Reactions: BlueOil and BlueMed

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I mean, hockey teams lose games sometimes. It's okay.

I don’t think you can draw too many inferences from random game against middling team.

People's expectations around here are ridiculous. They forget as if these players are human, and human nature includes laziness, which is what we saw against Calgary and against Winnipeg. That happens when the Blues are in a nice position in the standings. Would much rather have a talented, cocky team than a Backes/Hitchcock Blues team that overachieves during the regular season.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i agree, this break came at a great time. i could smell a losing streak brewing.

they've played like total ass since the vancouver game outside of that 5-1 win and the break will hopefully be a nice reset button

that game yesterday was unwatchable from the short time i saw of it. perron went from having a awesome game vs cgy to being a joke and the team looked like a class of kids during a tuesday on thanksgiving week just waiting for 4pm to hit for the long break to start.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Im wondering if Buchnevich is still feeling the effects of Covid. He's been almost a non-factor since returning. Barely averaging over 17 minutes of ice time over those games. Hopefully this break with help him get back up to speed.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i knew when i saw it scheduled at 2pm they were going to lose. it's blues tradition to have a rough outing midday. considering the blues' home record, this isn't that concerning.

that said, i'm still in the same spot i was prior to the start of the season: forwards look good, defense looks just okay, goaltending is good enough.

7-3-0 in the last ten. just have to keep that up

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
i knew when i saw it scheduled at 2pm they were going to lose. it's blues tradition to have a rough outing midday. considering the blues' home record, this isn't that concerning.

that said, i'm still in the same spot i was prior to the start of the season: forwards look good, defense looks just okay, goaltending is good enough.

7-3-0 in the last ten. just have to keep that up

Goaltending is good enough? You realize that Husso lead the league in save percentage and GAA right? I know I say that those 2 aren't just a function of goaltending alone, but it's definitely not the defense that is doing him many favors lately.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Goaltending is good enough? You realize that Husso lead the league in save percentage and GAA right? I know I say that those 2 aren't just a function of goaltending alone, but it's definitely not the defense that is doing him many favors lately.
According to advance metrics. The opponent xga is the highest in the league when he starts vs any other goalie. Despite people saying thebteam plays worse for binny, the metrics have say the defense has been zlightly worse for husso(its still been near worst for binny) Im not saying hes the best goalie in the league but hes played like it during this hot streak. The blues are in for a rude awakening when he cools off. Hes been carrying the team

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
well i was referencing the tandem overall, not just husso, so yes i think our goaltending is good enough. is the tandem elite? no. challenging for the jennings? no. we have a decent starter who can play better and an emerging back up who might be able to tandem. husso hasn't played many playoff-bound teams so i'm less excited by his results than some, but he's exceeded expectations, which was for him to settle in as a back up.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The other issue with Husso is that there is a big difference psychologically with playing as 'the man' and knowing everyone is counting on you vs playing to try and redeem yourself. I'm not taking away from his tremendous season so far, but I think he still has a lot to prove in showing how he handles a bigger role, the focus of opponents, etc. He faltered badly last year, and I view all of that to have been mental. I'm less convinced he won't struggle mentally under a more challenging scenario going forward.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The other issue with Husso is that there is a big difference psychologically with playing as 'the man' and knowing everyone is counting on you vs playing to try and redeem yourself. I'm not taking away from his tremendous season so far, but I think he still has a lot to prove in showing how he handles a bigger role, the focus of opponents, etc. He faltered badly last year, and I view all of that to have been mental. I'm less convinced he won't struggle mentally under a more challenging scenario going forward.
This is absolutely the key as far as I'm concerned. I see Husso as a better goalie than Binnington from a technical standpoint, maybe even to the point of calling him "significantly" better from a technical standpoint. With Binnington, it has always been about compensating with the mental part of the game, and the fire that made him one of the best a couple of years ago (not to mention winning a Cup) seems to be lacking lately, which leaves him just a guy. If Husso can develop a mental edge similar to Binnington's from his first couple of years, he will absolutely steal the starter's job and be one of the best goalies in the league.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
well i was referencing the tandem overall, not just husso, so yes i think our goaltending is good enough. is the tandem elite? no. challenging for the jennings? no. we have a decent starter who can play better and an emerging back up who might be able to tandem. husso hasn't played many playoff-bound teams so i'm less excited by his results than some, but he's exceeded expectations, which was for him to settle in as a back up.

If Binnington/Husso isn't elite, name a more elite tandem in the league. We're talking about a cup winning goaltender with a backup posting 94% save percentage and a 1.90 GAA.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
If Binnington/Husso isn't elite, name a more elite tandem in the league. We're talking about a cup winning goaltender with a backup posting 94% save percentage and a 1.90 GAA.
the duo can't be propped up by husso's limited, but stellar stats. binnington's cup has zero to do with his current play and performance, which is far from elite. husso overachieving and binnington underachieving = good enough, not elite

anaheim, ny islanders, colorado, and carolina have better performing tandems. it's not hard to find better performing tandems really, considering the blues don't have two guys playing well, only one...and he doesn't typically play tough competition so i still question how much that matters.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
cup is a team victory and has nothing to do with binnys current play. he has statistically been a league average goalie for 3 years now and arguably below this year(advanced metrics say hes closer to average because we have a bad defense which are why his stats are way below average this year)

husso is on a hot streak of best goalie in league but needs to prove that he can do it longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad