Half-Assed GDT: Blues Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
So, I guess what I really don't understand is the fans calling for the team to be torn down and a full rebuild are also the first to leave when times a tough and we are losing......... What the f do you think a rebuild will be like?

I like this team. I don't quite understand why others don't or say this is an unlikeable team.

To me, last years team was unlikeable, but much of that is now gone. ROR, Tarasenko - out and that works for me based on last years effort - or lack there of. The vets didn't lead and it showed on the ice.

The kids have done a lot to improve their own play. RT improves his shooting. JK, has improved his D play. Buch is just a solid player. Neighbors, I guess we need to trade him as he is pretty worthless as an NHLer according to some. There is a lot to like about this team.

Yes, they are inconsistent and flat out don't show sometimes, but part of that is learning how to play and win in an 82 game season when most players are really go hard for 60 games.

Yes it is a flawed roster, but.... it is still a fun team to watch.
I didn't have any problem with last year's team, but I also have liked this team. Obviously it isn't without frustration and I've been fortunate to miss a couple of our worst nights. But I come away feeling like I watched an NHL caliber game the large majority of times I watch this team and there are elements/players I really like.

Thomas has been a stud 1C and has done basically everything people have wanted him to do to elevate his game from a lower end 1C to a Cup caliber 1C. His 18 even strength points are tied for 3rd in the NHL and 2nd among NHL centers. He's shooting more and his 32 goal pace is coming due to the increase in shots, not an increase in shooting percentage. He is on pace for 32 goals and 90 points without any glaringly unsustainable 'luck' driving the results. And that is with our PP being abysmal. His underlying metrics are all right around 50% despite hefty defensive usage (42% O-zone start rate), his +7 leads the team and his expected +/- is 3rd on the team (+2.2). He is 56.6% at the dot and playing 20 minutes a night. If he plays like this for 60 more games, he has a very, very good argument for Selke consideration. I have loved watching him this season and am excited to see if he can sustain this all year.

Binner has made a bunch of great saves this year and I'm enjoying watching Hofer learn the NHL game. Blais and Sunny were two of my favorite support players years ago and I have very much liked watching them play their roles (although I'm looking for a Blais hot streak). Hayes is a genuinely likeable guy who has already had a couple really nice moments here. I haven't loved watching Kyrou fight through the frustration of been snake bitten offensively, but I have liked watching him put in the work off the puck. He is rounding his game out, which is exactly what I want to see in a transition season. Neighbours is getting more comfortable and plays a brand of hockey I like. Krug has looked more like a useful 2nd pair guy than the barely NHL caliber guy he was last year. HIm and Faulk can't be trusted for defensive minutes, but they are exciting to watch when things are going well (like in 2020/21 and 2021/22). I still love Parayko.

I see lots of things and guys to like about this current team. There are plenty of flaws to the roster and I have very large complaints about some coaching decisions. I don't think this is a very good team. But I also see a lot of good pieces on this team that are fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad