OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Was last year an aberration?

I don't follow baseball enough to know...but he cost the Cardinals the game last night (sure, it'll happen), and he didn't come through in his ABs with runners in scoring position. Frustrating.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
I don't follow baseball enough to know...but he cost the Cardinals the game last night (sure, it'll happen), and he didn't come through in his ABs with runners in scoring position. Frustrating.

He didn't help at all, but the turning point was keeping Weaver in to face Cespedes after he had shown that he had completely lost the strike zone and any feel for his fastball. Could whichever reliever come in and let up the bomb, too? Yeah, but Weaver is most assuredly not the guy that was going to get that out against the Mets most dangerous hitter.

As for Ozuna, I don't think last year's player is the guy we're going to get consistently, but he's definitely quite a bit better than what he has shown so far.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If Matheny gets shi* for mismanaging the bullpen, then he should get credit for managing the bullpen perfectly after Holland's disastrous outing in the 9th just now.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
another game thats been Matheny'd.

Norris is 5/5 with 20k, 2BB and a 2ERA

but hes been demoted to setup man for being too good.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
another game thats been Matheny'd.

Norris is 5/5 with 20k, 2BB and a 2ERA

but hes been demoted to setup man for being too good.

At what point can Matheny put in the top closer on the FA market that's being paid $14 million? Is a 3 run lead not enough for the top free agent closer? This game is on Holland, not Matheny.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
Martinez and Pham both made Es in the 9th that certainly contributed to them tying. Holland was by no stretch good, but your desire to pin Ls on a single player as opposed to team play and the manager whose job it is to prepare the team and chooses the daily lineups/subs is bizarre.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Martinez and Pham both made Es in the 9th that certainly contributed to them tying. Holland was by no stretch good, but your desire to pin Ls on a single player as opposed to team play and the manager whose job it is to prepare the team and chooses the daily lineups/subs is bizarre.

I responded to someone who said the game was Manethey’d, suggesting that the sole blame was on Matheny...that is what was bizarre. Holland was by no means solely to blame, but as the pitcher, only he has the ability to make an out by himself, and he failed to get a single one. Martinez and Pham didn’t help, sure, but the main crux of my point that you didn’t address is that Matheny was not to blame for Holland’s subpar performance and for errors that were made.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
I responded to someone who said the game was Manethey’d, suggesting that the sole blame was on Matheny...that is what was bizarre. Holland was by no means solely to blame, but as the pitcher, only he has the ability to make an out by himself, and he failed to get a single one. Martinez and Pham didn’t help, sure, but the main crux of my point that you didn’t address is that Matheny was not to blame for Holland’s subpar performance and for errors that were made.

Matheny chose to go with a guy who has proven this season to be untrustworthy with the closer's role since he missed ST, as opposed to someone like Norris.

He also chose to leave Martinez, a known defensive liability who only offsets that deficiency with his offense, in a game they were leading in the 9th instead of subbing for a more defensively sound player. But yeah, a ground ball that should've gone for a DP but instead scored a run, advanced a runner from 1st to 3rd and allowed the hitter to reach base played a small role in the loss.

That game wasn't on Holland, just like the previous game wasn't on Ozuna. Why you thought Matheny should put Wade Davis in is still a mystery, though.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Matheny chose to go with a guy who has proven this season to be untrustworthy with the closer's role since he missed ST, as opposed to someone like Norris.

He also chose to leave Martinez, a known defensive liability who only offsets that deficiency with his offense, in a game they were leading in the 9th instead of subbing for a more defensively sound player. But yeah, a ground ball that should've gone for a DP but instead scored a run, advanced a runner from 1st to 3rd and allowed the hitter to reach base played a small role in the loss.

That game wasn't on Holland, just like the previous game wasn't on Ozuna. Why you thought Matheny should put Wade Davis in is still a mystery, though.

Again, at what point would it be okay for Matheny to rely on Holland, then? You can’t just not play the guy.

As far as Martinez, are you suggesting he should be pulled when the Cardinals are ahead by 3 or more runs in the 9th, every game?

Davis: him and Holland have very similar career stats. Debateable as to which is better. Davis had the better ERA last season, Holland has the better career ERA. Holland had 9 more saves last year in 1 less inning pitched. I don’t care if people think Davis was the best closer on the market - that’s a respectable opinion, but it really detracts from my overall point: Matheny wasn’t to blame for that loss.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Again, at what point would it be okay for Matheny to rely on Holland, then? You can’t just not play the guy.

As far as Martinez, are you suggesting he should be pulled when the Cardinals are ahead by 3 or more runs in the 9th, every game?

Davis: him and Holland have very similar career stats. Debateable as to which is better. Davis had the better ERA last season, Holland has the better career ERA. Holland had 9 more saves last year in 1 less inning pitched. I don’t care if people think Davis was the best closer on the market - that’s a respectable opinion, but it really detracts from my overall point: Matheny wasn’t to blame for that loss.

When Holland succeeds in non-save situations.

Watching them in KC, it was clear that Davis was better. Davis' career stats are hurt by starting as a failed starter. In reality, amount of saves is a team stat not an individual stat. Davis had 1 blown save compared to Holland's 4. It's not his fault that the Cubs had less save opportunities.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Would another gun have stopped that from happening or would it just have caused more innocents harm or death?

I can do a lot of things but rewinding time for the sake of your question is beyond my expertise.

The only time I go downtown without carrying are Blues games. You may have something against guns, I’m not sure. I’m guessing so since you’re trying to get into some kind of conversation with me on the subject.

In my guns’ defense, when I leave them home alone I’ve yet to return and find out they went on a shooting spree without me. Maybe other people’s guns aren’t as well behaved. Maybe guns that harm people didn’t go through gun safety classes :sarcasm:

Then again, there are plenty of knives, bats, hammers, rental trucks and vans that seem to skip out on the safety courses as well.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Tell that to the people killed at ballpark village over the weekend

Wasn't the problem at Ballpark village that somebody had a concealed gun at a bar where he was drinking and got into a stupid bar fight that escalated due to said gun? If anything, that incident would make me want to go to places where they take steps to NOT allow guns. Just me though. I'm not trying to get into a political discussion on gun laws, as that is pointless. It just strikes me that ballpark village is a terrible example of advocating for concealed carry in bars.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Wasn't the problem at Ballpark village that somebody had a concealed gun at a bar where he was drinking and got into a stupid bar fight that escalated due to said gun? If anything, that incident would make me want to go to places where they take steps to NOT allow guns. Just me though. I'm not trying to get into a political discussion on gun laws, as that is pointless. It just strikes me that ballpark village is a terrible example of advocating for concealed carry in bars.

I don’t think the police have released all the details but yes it was reported a shoving match happened before someone pulled a gun out.

Like I said, I don’t go to bars downtown. I try to stay as far from trouble as possible, ((((Especially since I carry about all the time)))). My original comment was tongue in cheek but you can hardly say anything in today’s world without it getting political or someone getting offended. I’m not saying that’s what you’re doing but it feels like that’s the direction Celtic was going.

As a side note, I grew up hunting almost any time I wanted. I’m not a huge gun guy but I do love hunting, especially bow hunting. The world is what it is. I never gave a lot of thought about carrying until I had kids. I stay away from known risky environments. Having kids, I don’t ever want to be in a situation where I wished I had my gun and didn’t.

Unfortunately avoiding high risk places isn’t enough. Theatres, concerts, or just walking down a side walk can be targeted. I don’t live my life in fear of these things but I’m as prepared as the law permits and I stay aware.

Reactions: KirkOut

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t think the police have released all the details but yes it was reported a shoving match happened before someone pulled a gun out.

Like I said, I don’t go to bars downtown. I try to stay as far from trouble as possible, ((((Especially since I carry about all the time)))). My original comment was tongue in cheek but you can hardly say anything in today’s world without it getting political or someone getting offended. I’m not saying that’s what you’re doing but it feels like that’s the direction Celtic was going.

As a side note, I grew up hunting almost any time I wanted. I’m not a huge gun guy but I do love hunting, especially bow hunting. The world is what it is. I never gave a lot of thought about carrying until I had kids. I stay away from known risky environments. Having kids, I don’t ever want to be in a situation where I wished I had my gun and didn’t.

Unfortunately avoiding high risk places isn’t enough. Theatres, concerts, or just walking down a side walk can be targeted. I don’t live my life in fear of these things but I’m as prepared as the law permits and I stay aware.
I just don’t see how bringing a gun to a bar ever makes much sense. If you are an on duty cop it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad