OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Sandy Alcantara, Magneuris Sierra, Zan Gallen and Daniel Castano going to the Marlins. Some fans might not be happy about Sierra going, but I think his ceiling is pretty low.

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
I like the deal. Alcantara is the only one that could sting. I'm not sure he's a starter though.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
MXaLbQk.gif

Now get Colome and Machado.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Sandy Alcantara, Magneuris Sierra, Zan Gallen and Daniel Castano going to the Marlins. Some fans might not be happy about Sierra going, but I think his ceiling is pretty low.
Some hype built around him, but I’m with you and don’t really see it. I don’t think he’ll have the bat to be an everyday player.

I’m happy with the deal, despite not being completely sold on Ozuna.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ken Rosenthal from The Athletic, "The Cardinals considered the Orioles’ request for two young starting pitchers too steep after trading four prospects, including right-hander Sandy Alcantara, to the Miami Marlins for outfielder Marcell Ozuna."

So I guess we're out? That sucks.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Bob Nightengale said we have a strong offer for Machado on the table, not as strong as the White Sox though. I think we are still in on him, so hopefully the White Sox eventually back off if they realize Machado doesn't want to extend there.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Bob Nightengale said we have a strong offer for Machado on the table, not as strong as the White Sox though. I think we are still in on him, so hopefully the White Sox eventually back off if they realize Machado doesn't want to extend there.

Or we up our offer. It's not like Rosenthal to just put out info that isn't true so I don't know what's going on...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Rosenthal just tweeted that we are pushing for Donaldson. There could be a big power shift in the Central by the end of the week.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

Cardinals are trying to improve the roster from every angle. I would guess if things are heating up with Donaldson, things might be cooling off with Manny.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
As much as I'd like Donaldson or Machado, I think the Cardinals need to get some more help for bullpen and starting rotation. Martinez, Weaver, Wacha, New Guy, and Wainwright isn't a rotation to compete. I would push hard for Archer and Colome from Tampa, and then, when the dust settles, try to pick up another bat. Maybe if you give them enough quality, you could swing Longoria as well, but Martinez, Archer, Weaver or Wacha, New Guy, Wainwright, looks a lot better.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Even if we settle for Colome/Longoria, it will be a power shift. The Cubs are no longer what everyone thought they would be.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Even if we settle for Colome/Longoria, it will be a power shift. The Cubs are no longer what everyone thought they would be.
Cubs still have Rizzo and Bryant as potential MVP players. They have Quintana, Lester, Hendricks, Smyly, and Chatwood as a starting rotation. I think they'll be fine this year. A #2 starting pitcher and a couple back end of the bullpen pieces are what the Cardinals definitely need to compete with that. I am willing to lay down some money that since the Yankees got Stanton (almost put Stastny), Harper will be a Chicago Cub next year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They will still be good, but their pitching has plenty of question marks, and some of their hitters have issues. My point is, they don't look like the dynasty team that everyone was projecting, they just look like the typical divisional favorite. They are still the favorite, but if we all of a sudden add both Ozuna and Donaldson/Machado/Longoria, then we can get closer to matching their top bats. Our previous top bats can now match their secondary bats, and then we'll see how the pitching plays out.

It will go from the Cubs being the heavy favorites to a legitimate competition to win the division.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
They will still be good, but their pitching has plenty of question marks, and some of their hitters have issues. My point is, they don't look like the dynasty team that everyone was projecting, they just look like the typical divisional favorite. They are still the favorite, but if we all of a sudden add both Ozuna and Donaldson/Machado/Longoria, then we can get closer to matching their top bats. Our previous top bats can now match their secondary bats, and then we'll see how the pitching plays out.

It will go from the Cubs being the heavy favorites to a legitimate competition to win the division.
Yeah, I agree completely with your thought here. I think they'd still be the favorite, but these moves definitely narrow the gap. The Cubs have a VERY depleted farm system, but they could still make a move off their roster or sign a player. I have this scary feeling that Harper will be a Cub next year, which is why I hope the Cardinals can trade for, court, and then convince Machado to come here.

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
I don't see the benefit in trading for Machado. He's going to FA no matter what, and I certainly hope the Cardinals make a serious push for him then, though I'm skeptical that he would sign. But why give up significant talent in a trade for one extra year?

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Some hype built around him, but I’m with you and don’t really see it. I don’t think he’ll have the bat to be an everyday player.

I’m happy with the deal, despite not being completely sold on Ozuna.

Yeah, he was part of the upshot in HRs last season, we will see if it continues. But otherwise he is a well rounded player and will be playing for his contract.

Cardinals sold low on Piscotty to get rid of his contract, you have to think that they have plans to use that money elsewhere. It was nice that they accommodated with his family issues though, I think he is going to bounce back fine.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I don't see the benefit in trading for Machado. He's going to FA no matter what, and I certainly hope the Cardinals make a serious push for him then, though I'm skeptical that he would sign. But why give up significant talent in a trade for one extra year?
yeah i only like that trade if they sign him as well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Orioles aren't going to let teams talk to Machado before a trade. Probably smart to avoid, but we should definitely keep tabs to see what the price ends up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad