Blues extend Mike Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Yes, I am aware of that. This OFFICIALLY makes him the head coach and it is positive re:CBA because they wouldn't add contracts if they felt things were still going bad and no chance of hockey next year.

WC Handy*

ranold26 said:
Yes, I am aware of that. This OFFICIALLY makes him the head coach and it is positive re:CBA because they wouldn't add contracts if they felt things were still going bad and no chance of hockey next year.

He was already OFFICIALLY the head coach. The day Q was fired he signed a two year (rest of current year + 04-05 season) contract as the new head coach (read: not interim).

WC Handy*

BTW... the Blues hired former Atlanta head coach Curt Fraser as an assistant.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Still doesn't matter, these are official signings and they can be considered positive regarding a CBA announcement soon.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
ranold26 said:
Still doesn't matter, these are official signings and they can be considered positive regarding a CBA announcement soon.

I would hope that you're right but these contracts usually expire June 30th so I don't know that anything can be read into this beyond that it was time for the contract to be extended.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Chili said:
I would hope that you're right but these contracts usually expire June 30th so I don't know that anything can be read into this beyond that it was time for the contract to be extended.

You don't sign a guy, who is not under contract, to a contract, if there is no plan to use him. Why bother signing the guy if there is no season planned or looking gloomy? :dunno:

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
ranold26 said:
You don't sign a guy, who is not under contract, to a contract, if there is no plan to use him. Why bother signing the guy if there is no season planned or looking gloomy? :dunno:

Because there WILL be hockey in the fall...but there's no use looking into this as meaning there will be a deal in two weeks instead of two months.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
ranold26 said:

Because if you don't, Bobby Hull could steal him away for the WHA.

Duh.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
ranold26 said:

The point I was making was there must be a fair number of these contracts expiring next week. So teams will have to make decisions irregardless of where the cba talks are at or coaches will become FA's. There will be hockey again so they need to be signed.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
nyrmessier011 said:
Because there WILL be hockey in the fall...but there's no use looking into this as meaning there will be a deal in two weeks instead of two months.

I disagree. There are many things that need to be done before a season can start. A CBA agreement needs to be in place within the next 10-20 days so the season can go ahead. An agreement past that inhibits the ability to get the season started on time and/or without reducing the number of games. Finally, clubs are starting to make organizational moves, this would not be happening if the deadline was 2 months away AND if they felt things re:CBA were going badly.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Timmy said:
Because if you don't, Bobby Hull could steal him away for the WHA.

The guy could also sign with another NHL team. Do all 30 teams have a coach under contract right now? If yes, I'd be interested to see if there are any others with contracts that expire next week.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Chili said:
The guy could also sign with another NHL team. Do all 30 teams have a coach under contract right now? If yes, I'd be interested to see if there are any others with contracts that expire next week.

Like I said, if things were looking grim and a deadline wasn't near, there wouldn't be other clubs looking to sign coaches. Either way, things are getting near and look positive.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
ranold26 said:
Like I said, if things were looking grim and a deadline wasn't near, there wouldn't be other clubs looking to sign coaches. Either way, things are getting near and look positive.

if his contract was up June 30th (as another poster mentioned) and if they do not have to pay him due to lockout (probably a clause of somesort is written in) then it is either sign him, or lose him.

this has no baring on the CBA (I am not leaning either to gloom or optimism)

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
ranold26 said:

If there were no talks at all going on right now, they would still have to be making decisions on whether to re-sign guys like Kitchen around now. So I don't see this as an indicator for or against an imminent deal

I like your optimism though. :)

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
ZaphodBeeblebrox said:
if his contract was up June 30th (as another poster mentioned) and if they do not have to pay him due to lockout (probably a clause of somesort is written in) then it is either sign him, or lose him.

this has no baring on the CBA (I am not leaning either to gloom or optimism)

That is fine and dandy, but why would the BlueS hire an assistant coach along with this "extension", IF it was looking bad and coaches were not going to be needed. This coupled with GM hirings and coaches being fired... say alot if you ask me.
Then go to the NHL site and look at the SURGE in job postings in the last 3-5 days. :)
http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm?supcat=219&supcat_name=Sales & Marketing

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
ranold26 said:
That is fine and dandy, but why would the BlueS hire an assistant coach along with this "extension", IF it was looking bad and coaches were not going to be needed. This coupled with GM hirings and coaches being fired... say alot if you ask me.
Then go to the NHL site and look at the SURGE in job postings in the last 3-5 days. :)
http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm?supcat=219&supcat_name=Sales & Marketing

true, but if they have to decide what to do for this upcoming season (if there is going to be an upcoming season) right now, they will do that.

Does it indicate a deal is imminent, no.

It could mean that the NHL is going to start on time, with or without the PA, but it does not indicate a deal.

but I am also trying to remain optimistic...but as the Who said, "We Won't be Fooled Again"

:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->