GDT: Blues @ Ducks 7pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I said this before but grant is better right now than kesler. Put him up and then put kesler with henrique and kase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DuckRogers10

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I said thisbefore but grant is better right now than kesler. Put him up and then put kesler with henrique and kase.

People might have taken issue with it because it's a nonsensical argument, and you'd actually be putting Grant in a worse position to succeed. If your goal is to create an effective shutdown line, you're relying on a guy who has little to no experience in that role. Do you really expect him to see the toughest match ups every night, and be successful? While also being able to contribute in the secondary scoring that he's been showing?

And if your goal is to get Kase and Henrique going, why would you do it with a guy who is clearly not 100%? If Kesler can't play his defensive game, what makes you think he'd be able to play a higher paced offensive game?

If you want to minimize Kesler's impact, you need to cut into the shutdown line's ice time, because they just aren't as effective right now and someone like Silfverberg sure isn't helping. That means giving the 3rd line more ice time, which means trying to make it even more effective, which is definitely an issue right now because they haven't been very good of late. We're living and dying with Getzlaf and Gibson right now.

Your suggestion is slapping a Band-Aid on the 2nd line, and trying to carry on as before. What Carlyle should be doing is changing up his strategy and getting away from his reliance on the 2nd line, because it's not an asset this season. Since it's Carlyle, I don't have much hope that this will happen, but it's definitely what should. The 2nd line is broken this season. Putting Grant there instead would be stubbornly sticking to his strategy no matter what, which is exactly what everyone is saying Carlyle needs to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It may be too late for any of this to make a difference, but let's say we make the playoffs... do we really have any expectations at all that Grant can handle the match up game that we know Carlyle will try to force in a playoff series?

Adaptation and flexibility are not descriptions I'd use for RC. Hell, they're antonyms to descriptions I'd use to characterize him.

Anaheim needs to get away from the 2nd line shutdown match up. Lean on the 3rd line for additional scoring, and maximize their potential, and then pray that Getzlaf can go beast mode in the playoffs, because if he can Carlyle can put him out against whomever the hell he wants. Anaheim will only go as far as Gibson and Getzlaf takes us. That's the way it's been all season so far, and I don't think it's going to change.

Reactions: Boogernaut

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The best part of last night's game was everyone being pissed off that Kelly scored the 2nd goal followed by a big sigh of relief when it was actually Grant's goal.

Oh, I was just joking about that. A goal is a goal. He's still been crap for us, even if he had scored it.

I think Booger and Getz2Perry are right that, as much crap as Kelly has gotten, he's a 4th line player so his impact should be minimal anyway. The much bigger issue is that our 3rd line has gone quiet at a really bad time, our 2nd line has been pretty garbage all season, and it just isn't realistic to expect Getzlaf to singlehandedly do it all for us. Rakell just hasn't been very good, except in very short spurts in games(I don't think the "5 minute" comment is just a joke with him), and Perry has been better than, I think, some are giving him credit for, but he's not really the 2nd part of a twin duo anymore either.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Oh, I was just joking about that. A goal is a goal. He's still been crap for us, even if he had scored it.

I think Booger and Getz2Perry are right that, as much crap as Kelly has gotten, he's a 4th line player so his impact should be minimal anyway. The much bigger issue is that our 3rd line has gone quiet at a really bad time, our 2nd line has been pretty garbage all season, and it just isn't realistic to expect Getzlaf to singlehandedly do it all for us. Rakell just hasn't been very good, except in very short spurts in games(I don't think the "5 minute" comment is just a joke with him), and Perry has been better than, I think, some are giving him credit for, but he's not really the 2nd part of a twin duo anymore either.

yes, a 4th liner's impact shouldn't be something to make or break a team

but why not go with a 4th liner who can do more than kelly? brown and vermette are both better so why settle for less? i really don't get it. kelly hasn't done much of anything. at least brown brings speed on the forecheck and vermette can win faceoffs

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I want this team to turn it around as much as the next person, but I don't see that happening.

At this point, I think losing and missing the playoffs would be the best option for this organization. I don't want there to be any chance that BM brings back Bieksa and he'll hopefully sack Carlyle if we miss the playoffs.

It's also quite clear that Kesler needs to be shut down for the season in the interest of preserving the rest of his career. He may never be back to what he was, but if shutting him down improves upon that chance, it needs to be done.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Yeah, the 4th line gets too much attention when other lines aren't providing much. But speaking for myself, it's not just the fact that Murray/Carlyle can't seem to put a competent 4th line together, it's also a constant display of how they value players and handicap an already struggling team with outdated thinking.

Maybe playing both Kelly and Chimera isn't going to make or break the team, but the thinking behind it is what leads to the Beauch/Bieksa pairing. As well as some decent kids currently off the roster that might be better options, but we'll never know.

I'm over this sad display of coaching/mgmt... wake me up when the draft starts.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
It may be too late for any of this to make a difference, but let's say we make the playoffs... do we really have any expectations at all that Grant can handle the match up game that we know Carlyle will try to force in a playoff series?

Adaptation and flexibility are not descriptions I'd use for RC. Hell, they're antonyms to descriptions I'd use to characterize him.

Anaheim needs to get away from the 2nd line shutdown match up. Lean on the 3rd line for additional scoring, and maximize their potential, and then pray that Getzlaf can go beast mode in the playoffs, because if he can Carlyle can put him out against whomever the hell he wants. Anaheim will only go as far as Gibson and Getzlaf takes us. That's the way it's been all season so far, and I don't think it's going to change.

Couldn't agree more, esp since Kesler is clearly not 100%. I'd be in favor of trying some line juggling actually to try to get Henrique and Kase and Silf going again. If that means breaking up the "shutdown line" then so be it. Can't win in this league when only one line is producing for extended stretches and the other three have gone cold or are a complete mess. Maybe give Rakell-Getzlaf-Kase another go, put Silf with Henrique and Perry, and have Kesler play a slightly lesser role with Cogs and Ritchie/Grant. Move away from the shutdown line mentality and just try to create two lines that can score and one that can do some forechecking at least.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I've been wondering how Cogs might look on that Rico line instead if Ritchie. It needs a spark. Also, maybe Kes is better used as the 4C for now, but Randy can spot him here or there and up his minutes in-game based on how he's feeling. That does leave a Ritchie-Grant-Silfverberg 3rd line though, which might be abysmal, but who knows.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Fingers crossed we keep losing at this point, can't even beat a St Louis team that won 2 of it's last 10 ffs :laugh:. It will be much better if we miss the playoffs then BM has nowhere to hide re: RC and then has no choice but to fire him. This team is playing the worst, most boring hockey since RC was last in charge - even BB's turtle defence season was more fun then this.

Also Bieksa a -3 :laugh:. Get this turd off the team for f*** sake.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Fingers crossed we keep losing at this point, can't even beat a St Louis team that won 2 of it's last 10 ffs :laugh:. It will be much better if we miss the playoffs then BM has nowhere to hide re: RC and then has no choice but to fire him. This team is playing the worst, most boring hockey since RC was last in charge - even BB's turtle defence season was more fun then this.

Also Bieksa a -3 :laugh:. Get this turd off the team for **** sake.
BB's turtle defense was methodical, it was boring, true. This shit however is pathetic to watch.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
BB's turtle defense was methodical, it was boring, true. This **** however is pathetic to watch.
True that. Even though this team is more offensive, it's just boring as shit because it's a shitshow on the ice with zero semblance of a system. As you said at least BB's turtle defence had an idea behind it and was executed.

Not to mention it's all the more frustrating Anaheim is always talked about with how strong their prospect pool is and BM is talking about it often as well, and yet we barely give any of the young players a chance. How in 2018 the likes of Kelly/Chimera/Vermette/Bieksa/Beauch are ahead on the depth chart of some of the younger players is beyond me.

Reactions: Lord Flashheart

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I want this team to turn it around as much as the next person, but I don't see that happening.

At this point, I think losing and missing the playoffs would be the best option for this organization. I don't want there to be any chance that BM brings back Bieksa and he'll hopefully sack Carlyle if we miss the playoffs.

It's also quite clear that Kesler needs to be shut down for the season in the interest of preserving the rest of his career. He may never be back to what he was, but if shutting him down improves upon that chance, it needs to be done.
I don't want the team to turn around.... like seriously.... if this shit team makes the playoffs they will give me tons of false hope... then ill go to the games, and inherit a drinking problem, stay up late at night wondering why RC put Bieska + Beauchmin in with 4 mins to go and were up 3-2, and ill lose my job because of my drinking/lack of sleep ... but ill think theres always next year... but next year will never come, because we made the playoffs our pick isn't that great... so we get some 4 year project player, we resign bieska... kesler has to take next season off, we trade kase because we don't want to pay him... we trade welinski because we don't have a spot for him on the roster because vets, Terry stays in college to leave because he sees the writing on the wall and doesn't want to play with some dinosaur coach... RC will get extended and no matter how much I want to believe, the team will let me down.

But wait there is more, the west is weak and somehow some way, the sharks manage to get out of the west and win the cup... so now shark fans are shitting on us even more than normal.

:teach:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Wow, I didn't think I could be more upset than after last night, but reading these posts-yep. Agree with the general vibe. What we have here is a failure to adjust, adapt, change when things are not working, try something new, look around and smell the coffee.

The signing of Boll, the willingness to lose Theo to not ask Bieksa to waive, the deadline "speed" acquisitions, the blocking of young talent to play non-productive vets, the system of RC-they all speak of a management that is stuck in the past. 2007, I guess is the magic potion. Kind of like the Angels expecting Scoiscia to bring 2002 back to life every year and being shocked when it doesn't happen.

The scouting and draft, effective player development, and some good personnel moves by BM have served to mask this culture of stagnation. The BB era was different (but those damn Game 7's made his firing mandatory). Opting to re-hire RC was without any foresight and the results have been predictable.

A housecleaning is looking more and more like the best option.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wow, I didn't think I could be more upset than after last night, but reading these posts-yep. Agree with the general vibe. What we have here is a failure to adjust, adapt, change when things are not working, try something new, look around and smell the coffee.

The signing of Boll, the willingness to lose Theo to not ask Bieksa to waive, the deadline "speed" acquisitions, the blocking of young talent to play non-productive vets, the system of RC-they all speak of a management that is stuck in the past. 2007, I guess is the magic potion. Kind of like the Angels expecting Scoiscia to bring 2002 back to life every year and being shocked when it doesn't happen.

The scouting and draft, effective player development, and some good personnel moves by BM have served to mask this culture of stagnation. The BB era was different (but those damn Game 7's made his firing mandatory). Opting to re-hire RC was without any foresight and the results have been predictable.

If bieska was a solid 5 or 6, I wouldn't care that we lost Theodore to keep him... but hes not even close.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
It's embarrassing to think we lost Theodore to watch Bieksa perform like this. Murray should lose his job over that alone.

I'm so done with Carlyle, how he can ice that lineup with that icetime this time year tells you how much of a dinosaur he is.

Had to quote this post because... truth.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
These are the exact same complaints we had last time RC was coach. He isn't going to be fired without a few bad seasons in a row, and the forward core will be well past the expiration date.

Reactions: Duck Off

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah, get ready for at least another season of RC

even if they miss the playoffs this year, he'll 100% be given a chance to coach the team next season

Reactions: dracom and Duck Off

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
They'll blame it on early season injuries, which, while true, doesn't excuse the current play. I 100% agree he'll be back.

Reactions: Paul4587

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think it really depends how this season finishes up if he'll be back or not. I could see him being fired if they miss the playoffs. If they make it, he will be back

Oct 18, 2011

Correct. Imagine if it was Theodore playing in Pettersson spot, with his development this year maybe we don't see as much of on and fb.. then again maybe that's another dman Carlyle would stifle. Either way Murray's stupid moves share part of the blame.

Hell man Stoner is better than these guys. I think we all could've stomached another year if dumpster Bob had bought out Bieksa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->