OT: Blues #1 goaltender Allen vs. Hutton?

Blues #1 goaltender Allen vs. Hutton?

• Allen

• Hutton

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Here's a list of teams whose backup goaltenders have a higher save percentage and/or lower GAA than their #1 goaltender:

Anaheim
Boston
Calgary
Carolina
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Montreal
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
San Jose
St. Louis
Las Vegas
Washington

Some of those have bigger gaps than others, but that's still half the league whose backups are "outperforming" the starter by some metric.

It's almost like coaches intentionally try to pick spots where the backups are most likely to succeed while giving their #1 goaltenders the biggest workloads and hardest assignments.

It's also almost like even backup goaltenders can perform to high standards over sample sizes of 10 to 15 starts.

It's going to take a lot more than that to convince most of those teams that the backup should really be the starter, and vice versa. To me, it's not even a question. This team is going to sink or swim this year with Allen.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Easton’s right that this team will ultimately sink or swim with Allen as the goalie. In the short term though, Hutton gives us the best chance to win. He should start until he proves otherwise.

Reactions: STLomacneko

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Prepare your Captain Obvious meme, but this year it really has to be who's playing better. And I don't mean just when playoffs come around, I mean just getting in. Teams are hitting their stride, players will be added to the Central. We cannot get bogged down on who has the title or makes more money. I'm done with patience.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This quote is from other thread sorry for that, but this sum up perfectly how I feel about Allen and Blues currrently and I feel its never going to get fixed. Players don't trust on Allen.

Allen has completely lost his confidence, and The Blues have also lost confidence in him. A bad thing to happen when a team is down 2 Top 6 forwards and in an scoring slump.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I am surprised to see I was not alone voting for Allen, if the question was who is hotter right now, there is no question, but IF and I do mean if we are to win anything in the next few years it is going to have to be Allen.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This quote is from other thread sorry for that, but this sum up perfectly how I feel about Allen and Blues currrently and I feel its never going to get fixed. Players don't trust on Allen.

Just like they were never going to have confidence in him after every other slump he's had in his career, right?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Just like they were never going to have confidence in him after every other slump he's had in his career, right?
You really didn't understand The meaning of behind Robb_k's quote why players don't trust on Allen when he's playing poorly and Allen has Lost his confidence on his own performance and what affects IT has to players performance?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
How far is Husso away is my next question?
2 years. IMHO. Which would most likely give us the time to season TT, KK, JK, and RT for the big leagues. with Vladi, Schenn, and Schwartz still in the primes, and Fabbri will also be back up to speed from his ACL tears.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Didn't this exact same thing happen just last year...? He definitely fixed it then, considering he posted something like a .940 save percentage for the last 25 games. That doesn't include the playoffs either, where he made like 50 saves in game 1.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Didn't this exact same thing happen just last year...? He definitely fixed it then, considering he posted something like a .940 save percentage for the last 25 games. That doesn't include the playoffs either, where he made like 50 saves in game 1.

Looks like people on here doesn't understand what I'm meaning of Allen playing Bad and letting softies and how IT reflects to players performance.

Or IS this language barrier?

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Last year, it was mostly soft goals from Allen followed up by poor team defense. This year, it's been mostly poor team defense followed up by Allen letting in softies.

The poor team defense recently has caused Allen to lose confidence in himself, which isn't good for the whole team.

He got a week off last year when he was hitting rock bottom and that helped him regain his form, so maybe this bye week comes at a perfect time and both problems will be fixed. Because if the team defense doesn't shape up, Shakey Jake is going to stay around, and this team goes nowhere without Allen playing well.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Here's a list of teams whose backup goaltenders have a higher save percentage and/or lower GAA than their #1 goaltender:

Anaheim
Boston
Calgary
Carolina
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Montreal
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
San Jose
St. Louis
Las Vegas
Washington

Some of those have bigger gaps than others, but that's still half the league whose backups are "outperforming" the starter by some metric.

It's almost like coaches intentionally try to pick spots where the backups are most likely to succeed while giving their #1 goaltenders the biggest workloads and hardest assignments.

It's also almost like even backup goaltenders can perform to high standards over sample sizes of 10 to 15 starts.

It's going to take a lot more than that to convince most of those teams that the backup should really be the starter, and vice versa. To me, it's not even a question. This team is going to sink or swim this year with Allen.

Yep, it's absurd. Do fans just assume Hutton would still have the same minuscule stats if he had played 30+ games up to this point? I remember a few years ago when Ray Emery had the best goalie stats in the entire league as the Hawks backup. He was out of the league after a year or two.

That being said, Hutton has always been a better-than-average backup and perhaps would have the potential to be a bottom tier starter if given a full opportunity. He's been great lately. But a hot streak doesn't cancel out the entire body of evidence that we have in front of us. Our team has been playing so badly that I don't think many, if any goalies, could bail them out of these losses.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Allen all the way. I don't believe the "team has lost confidence in their goalie." It's a team game and, if you're going to use that reasoning, you can't overlook the period of about 10 games where Jake was taking losses on games where he was giving up only a goal or two and the team around him couldn't get more than one goal, if that, into the net. It seems like some on this board always want to point to just one static element of the team as a reason why we are losing. What I've come to suspect is that the team is just flawed. It started right from the start with Fabbri getting injured. That morphed our whole lineup and had/has guys playing less than ideal positions just to get a working lineup. Even when we were winning 3/4 games at the beginning, it was largely due to our top line scoring at an unsustainable pace and D was chipping in secondary goals big time. Add to that all of the injuries, especially to the quality players that have gone down over the course of the season, and the team in general just doesn't look like it currently has what it takes to be a legit contender. Point to the goalie all you want, but Hutton's numbers will continue to drop the more he's played, and I can't wait to hear what the excuse is when we are still not doing better with him in net. At some point we have to see the team for what it is.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Allen all the way. I don't believe the "team has lost confidence in their goalie." It's a team game and, if you're going to use that reasoning, you can't overlook the period of about 10 games where Jake was taking losses on games where he was giving up only a goal or two and the team around him couldn't get more than one goal, if that, into the net. It seems like some on this board always want to point to just one static element of the team as a reason why we are losing. What I've come to suspect is that the team is just flawed. It started right from the start with Fabbri getting injured. That morphed our whole lineup and had/has guys playing less than ideal positions just to get a working lineup. Even when we were winning 3/4 games at the beginning, it was largely due to our top line scoring at an unsustainable pace and D was chipping in secondary goals big time. Add to that all of the injuries, especially to the quality players that have gone down over the course of the season, and the team in general just doesn't look like it currently has what it takes to be a legit contender. Point to the goalie all you want, but Hutton's numbers will continue to drop the more he's played, and I can't wait to hear what the excuse is when we are still not doing better with him in net. At some point we have to see the team for what it is.

No, overally team hasn't lost their confidence on Allen, but when Allen let softies it affect players performance front of Allen, they collapse and tries to cover everything that puck doesn't get in the net, 'cus they don't trust Allen's mode that night.

If players know that Allen could rebound at same game/night when he let softies their performance could be totally different, but case is if Allen sucks he sucks all night long.

This is just mental thing, if Allen is bad players too look bad. Sum up if Allen goes soft pull him away right away.

I think his slump performance has take deep hit his overall confidence too and only Brodeur at this point only can help him out from this slump soft mode and that isn't really compliment for Allen, but I hope for Blues sake he rebound and find his A+ mode, 'cus this team will sunk with him.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
No, overally team hasn't lost their confidence on Allen, but when Allen let softies it affect players performance front of Allen, they collapse and tries to cover everything that puck doesn't get in the net, 'cus they don't trust Allen's mode that night.

If players know that Allen could rebound at same game/night when he let softies their performance could be totally different, but case is if Allen sucks he sucks all night long.

This is just mental thing, if Allen is bad players too look bad. Sum up if Allen goes soft pull him away right away.

I think his slump performance has take deep hit his overall confidence too and only Brodeur at this point only can help him out from this slump soft mode and that isn't really compliment for Allen, but I hope for Blues sake he rebound and find his A+ mode, 'cus this team will sunk with him.
He's had some bad games, he's had some good games. This shit happens to every goalie in the league, but he's not encompassed the "I don't care attitude" that he needs to have to be successful in this league. He's still young when it comes to goalie standards. I can tell you my personal opinion is that this board will fall apart if they make Hutton the starter. He'll fall apart playing the games a starter does. He's one of the best back ups in the league, but he's not a number one goalie

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
You really didn't understand The meaning of behind Robb_k's quote why players don't trust on Allen when he's playing poorly and Allen has Lost his confidence on his own performance and what affects IT has to players performance?

I understood Roob's quote perfectly. I don't fully agree with it, but I think there is some truth there.

His quote was very, very different than your assessment that, "I feel its never going to get fixed. Players don't trust on Allen." That is a gigantic leap from what Robb is saying and is not based in reality. The team very clearly trusted him down the stretch and in the playoffs last year after a significantly worse stretch of play from Allen. The idea that Allen has lost his teammates completely and that this lack of trust can't be fixed is incredibly different than the concept of the team playing passive/scared in front of him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad