OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The team will be in tough to even hit 80 wins. I predict 75-87.

The best season we can hope for is one where Estrada, Happ and Donaldson all stay healthy and play well so they can fetch some high end prospects before the trade deadline.

I’ll probably only tune in for the Sanchez starts other than catching an inning or two when flipping through chanels.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The team will be in tough to even hit 80 wins. I predict 75-87.

The best season we can hope for is one where Estrada, Happ and Donaldson all stay healthy and play well so they can fetch some high end prospects before the trade deadline.

I’ll probably only tune in for the Sanchez starts other than catching an inning or two when flipping through chanels.
I’ve given up trying to predict what this team will do. I predicted they’d lose 100 games in 2015 then they ended up winning the division.

Although I’m looking forward to the season starting as always, I’ve got no real optimism for the team itself. Doesn’t look like a team that can be better than .500. I don’t see a lot of offence in that lineup and relying on pitching alone didn’t win many games last year. Hope I’m wrong because I’ll be watching anyway.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Maybe I've been drinking the koolaid too much but I'm pretty optimistic about the team this year. They didn't make any huge splashes in the offseason but I think they made a lot of low key additions that will play out great. Solarte and Diaz as backup infielders is a monumental improvement over Barney and Goins last year, and Grichuk over what was left of Bautista will be big as well. Jaime Garcia was another great signing, he'll do a great job stabilizing the back end of the rotation. The biggest question they'll have is health, if Donaldson/Martin/Sanchez/Travis can stay retlatively healthy they'll be right in the mix in the wildcard.

I'm not as gung ho on trading Donaldson as a lot of people either. It seems the majority of contending teams aren't in the market for a 3B, so unless there's an injury to their guys I fear the return will be very disappointing. I'd much rather extend him, he'd be a great mentor for Vladdy/Bo etc when they get to the bigs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
29064674_10156209985417128_3641779278064468593_o.jpg

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
They Jays have a hit today. Not getting no hit on opening day is good. Looking for small miracles...

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
IMHO .....even if the sox and yanks two best players go down for the season the jays still won't catch a whiff of the playoffs.

"trade donaldson" should be the mating call of Canadian baseball fans everywhere.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They Jays have a hit today. Not getting no hit on opening day is good. Looking for small miracles...

The Yankees are to the Blue Jays this year what Connor McDavid is to the Calgary Flames.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
IMHO .....even if the sox and yanks two best players go down for the season the jays still won't catch a whiff of the playoffs.

"trade donaldson" should be the mating call of Canadian baseball fans everywhere.
There’s no trade happening while he’s throwing the way he is. Just one more thing that goes wrong for this team. I don’t think Donaldson is getting anywhere near the term and dollars he’s hoping for. Teams aren’t overlooking injuries to players over 30 anymore and he’s been banged up or hurt a lot since the start of the 2016 season.

Stoff57

Mar 29, 2018
There’s no trade happening while he’s throwing the way he is. Just one more thing that goes wrong for this team. I don’t think Donaldson is getting anywhere near the term and dollars he’s hoping for. Teams aren’t overlooking injuries to players over 30 anymore and he’s been banged up or hurt a lot since the start of the 2016 season.
Donaldson played 155 games in 2016. In fact 2017 is the only year he has failed to play 155 games. While his current injury trouble is concerning, he has been a durable player up until last season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
New York crushing the Blew Jays. Severino with a solid performance on the mound and Stanton crushing a couple bombs and 4 RBIs. Love it.

Go Yanks!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Donaldson played 155 games in 2016. In fact 2017 is the only year he has failed to play 155 games. While his current injury trouble is concerning, he has been a durable player up until last season.
I’ll give him credit that he’s played through a lot of injuries but he has been banged up a lot the last two years. I’m not trying to knock him, I’m a big fan. All I’m trying to say is things change quickly for players after 30. His health is a concern now and I’m wondering if he won’t find himself in a similar situation to what Bautista did. Jose went from thinking he was getting a five year 150 million dollar contract to getting a gift one year deal from the Jays to nothing at all this year, all in the span of about 18 months. Not many thought Jose was worth what he did but at the same time, not many saw what happened coming to him either. Health and age change things quickly for players in baseball. After what we saw this offseason in regards to free agents and I’m even more curious about what he gets.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
New York crushing the Blew Jays. Severino with a solid performance on the mound and Stanton crushing a couple bombs and 4 RBIs. Love it.

Go Yanks!
Ugh, normally I’m a big fan of yours but I hate seeing you in this thread. Yankees suck as much as the Ducks do.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Blue Jays release Opening Day roster, place Tulowitzki on 60-day DL - Sportsnet.ca

I remember when the Jays aquired Tony T and how good he was supposed to be. Missed 100 games last year and will be the first month or so of this season. He is owed 54 mill still so that hurts. Only bright spot is that it only cost the jays JEff Hoffman for him--all other players are either in the minors or have been traded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad