Blue Jackets cleaning out the GM likely..Draft recap

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
never made the playoffs, missed by 19 points or more, looking at the draft results, i suppose no one should be surprised Maclean(well liked by many) is on his way out.

2006 Brassard at 6th, options Mueller and Okposo are highly touted

2005 Brule at 6th, could have had marc staal or anzi kopitar

2004 A. Picard 8th, radulov, stafford,zajac,wolski,meszaros all look better

2003 Zherdev at 4th, talented by a head case apparently, could have had Vanek,michalek,phaneuf,getzlaf,parise,carter,bernier,kostistyn

2002 Nash 1st overall, star in the NHL, rocket richard winner, no question about this pick

The Fan 590 are debating the firing(allegedly) of Maclean and they brought up the mistakes with veterans and pauying them big money, mentions luke richardson and everyone knows about sergei federov, and people slam the Habs for losing Beauchemin for nothing but the Blue jackets had him when he first started playing well and they moved him as part of the federov mess

the draft is a crap shoot but when you pick in the top 8 every year pretty much you need to be better or at least knocking on the door like Pitt or at the very least florida and atlanta

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Is it the players they drafted? Or the way they developed them...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If they were going to fire him, they would have done it by now.

This is a team much like every other team that is consistently at the bottom of the standings. They're not exactly sure which direction they're going in. Therefore, they're going in no direction.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Brassard had a horrible shoulder injury, and I certainly wouldn't write off Brule (who also fought through injuries in '05-06). In fact, it's premature to say anything accurate about anyone from the 2006 draft aside from Staal, and it's too early to say much about the 2005 draft aside from guys who've clearly made it like Crosby and Kopitar. Even passing judgment on 2004 is probably early at this point.

2003? Zherdev was the #1 ranked European player ... ahead of Kostitsyn (who was 3rd). Bernier was #11 among NA skaters and he had question marks. Jeff Carter was 27th among NA players. Phaneuf was behind Braydon Coburn, who was touted as the stud defenseman of the draft.

If you're going to play "what if?" about every pick, you'll drive yourself nuts - besides, there's no guarantee that had Columbus selected any of the players you mentioned as "instead, we could have had ..." guys, that they would have turned out the same way. None.

I've had this debate with some Blues fans, who SWEAR TO GOD Jordan Staal would have scored almost 30 goals with the Blues this season had the team drafted him instead of Erik Johnson with the #1 overall pick, and what they fail to realize is that Staal would have never made the Blues roster - he would have been sent back to juniors since the team had already filled out its roster, and Mike Kitchen sure as hell wasn't about to put an 18-year old in on the PK unit.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Brassard had a horrible shoulder injury, and I certainly wouldn't write off Brule (who also fought through injuries in '05-06). In fact, it's premature to say anything accurate about anyone from the 2006 draft aside from Staal, and it's too early to say much about the 2005 draft aside from guys who've clearly made it like Crosby and Kopitar. Even passing judgment on 2004 is probably early at this point.

2003? Zherdev was the #1 ranked European player ... ahead of Kostitsyn (who was 3rd). Bernier was #11 among NA skaters and he had question marks. Jeff Carter was 27th among NA players. Phaneuf was behind Braydon Coburn, who was touted as the stud defenseman of the draft.

If you're going to play "what if?" about every pick, you'll drive yourself nuts - besides, there's no guarantee that had Columbus selected any of the players you mentioned as "instead, we could have had ..." guys, that they would have turned out the same way. None.

I've had this debate with some Blues fans, who SWEAR TO GOD Jordan Staal would have scored almost 30 goals with the Blues this season had the team drafted him instead of Erik Johnson with the #1 overall pick, and what they fail to realize is that Staal would have never made the Blues roster - he would have been sent back to juniors since the team had already filled out its roster, and Mike Kitchen sure as hell wasn't about to put an 18-year old in on the PK unit.

good post. and i agree with you.

X0ssbar

Thank you IB - you saved me a lot of typing.

I will add that I don't think its neccesarily the drafting, at least in round 1, as really the only reach that a case could be made for would be Picard...the rest either went where they were supposed to or slipped a little in Brule's case.

IMO the biggest problem with these #1 pics have been their development. Granted its hard as an expansion franchise not to rush your early picks but there is no denying guys like Klesla, Nash, Z, Brule could have certainly used more time in the system and had the reigns tightened on their offseason S/C programs. That and they could have certainly used better coaching at the pro level when they got here. Alot of that falls squarely on the shoulders of Doug MacLean.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
never made the playoffs, missed by 19 points or more, looking at the draft results, i suppose no one should be surprised Maclean(well liked by many) is on his way out.

2006 Brassard at 6th, options Mueller and Okposo are highly touted

2005 Brule at 6th, could have had marc staal or anzi kopitar

2004 A. Picard 8th, radulov, stafford,zajac,wolski,meszaros all look better

2003 Zherdev at 4th, talented by a head case apparently, could have had Vanek,michalek,phaneuf,getzlaf,parise,carter,bernier,kostistyn

2002 Nash 1st overall, star in the NHL, rocket richard winner, no question about this pick

The Fan 590 are debating the firing(allegedly) of Maclean and they brought up the mistakes with veterans and pauying them big money, mentions luke richardson and everyone knows about sergei federov, and people slam the Habs for losing Beauchemin for nothing but the Blue jackets had him when he first started playing well and they moved him as part of the federov mess

the draft is a crap shoot but when you pick in the top 8 every year pretty much you need to be better or at least knocking on the door like Pitt or at the very least florida and atlanta

06-Brassard: the highest scoring player in the draft and i think he'll surprise people

05-Brule: tough player but on draft day i was praying they would take Kopitar and they should have because now we want a #1 center and he's it...Also Stastny but he wasnt projected as 1st round

04: not only could they have had all of those other guys, but they could have had Olesz too. Olesz was taken at 7, Picard at 8. But they traded the 4th pick to Carolina who got Ladd. Olesz had 21 points his rookie year and Picard has one assist in 40 games

03: Also could have had Bergeron but got Fritsche (who i love) with the pick after Bergeron. I cant believe the Preds took Suter over Phaneuf :biglaugh:

02: no question on Nash

01:Leclaire over Ruutu...ehh. We needed a young goalie at the time

00: I dont understand how the Jackets and wild got the 3rd and 4th and the Thrashers and Sens (?) got 1 and 2. CBJ and MIN were expansions. Anyway, a good pick with Klesla but John Michael Liles was a late rounder

overall good picks but could have done better. As a columbus native and fan, i dont like MacLean. If we start at the bottom next year (that is if we keep him) he's gone

Casework

Dec 15, 2006
Columbus, OH
cbjcannon.blogspot.com
Fritsche was the 2nd round pick that year, Zherdev was the 1st.

Also, we're having this discussion on the Jackets board, but since drafting is a big issue in here, I'll post this over here. The Jackets, for the most part, have had decent 1st round picks. The late round picks have been much improving, notably 2002 and beyond.

Some guys Columbus has drafted 2nd round or later since 2002:

Dan Fritsche
Kris Russell
Steve Mason
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
Marc Methot
Adam Pineault
Joakim Lindstrom
Tomas Popperle
Tom Sestito

Compared to 2000-2001, the only late round pick who has shown any promise for us is Aaron Johnson.

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

Also, we're having this discussion on the Jackets board, but since drafting is a big issue in here, I'll post this over here. The Jackets, for the most part, have had decent 1st round picks. The late round picks have been much improving, notably 2002 and beyond.

Dan Fritsche
Kris Russell
Steve Mason
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
Marc Methot
Adam Pineault
Joakim Lindstrom
Tomas Popperle
Tom Sestito

Compared to 2000-2001, the only late round pick who has shown any promise for us is Aaron Johnson.

:yo: lol.

he is the one and only norwegian player i actually like.

X0ssbar

:yo: lol.

he is the one and only norwegian player i actually like.

I think there's only two in the NHL. OKT and Thoresen. So you like 50% of the Norwegian's in this league :D

Big OKT fan - reminds me of a young Brendan Witt. We desperately needed a kid with some edge to his game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Dan Fritsche
Kris Russell
Steve Mason
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
Marc Methot
Adam Pineault
Joakim Lindstrom
Tomas Popperle
Tom Sestito

i heart johnson..he's so underrated
what's the deal on pineault and lindstrom..i don't think theyre that great

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad