Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by ovikovy817, Apr 15, 2018 at 7:04 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylanmacarthur

dylanmacarthur Registered User

Trotz is garbage too, but Ovie has rotated out a couple of coaches and never been truly clutch or taken any of hte several stacked and president's trophy-winning teams past the second round.

He's mentally weak and it's written all over his face every time the pressure is on. When they choked against the much depleted Pens last year I knew the window was finished and this team is done.

Blow it up.

2. txpd

txpd Registered User

Home Page:
    No. You talk about the rest of these playoffs as if it 2 or 3 games and then golf and that winning the games isn't the most important thing. Djoos isn't ready. He's just not. MacLelland would not have gotten both of these D at the deadline if he was. You want to scratch them both and let Djoos and Bowey play?

The plugs don't play the "same position" that Beagle and Chaisson do. If you want the complain about Connolly, fine. He doesn't qualify as a plug.

These games. They play to win them. They can teach hockey next regular season

3. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam Registered User

Yup, I already mentioned all that above...
    Additions in bold.

4. GrnEggsNHam

This is what I meant by snowballing. Orpik's bad decision(he's not skilled enough to make those plays and he should know that) was the impetus for the domino effect. Swap the two players in this scenario(Orpik with Orlov) and we likely would've held the offensive zone and we wouldn't be talking about this at all *shrugs*.

5. GrnEggsNHam

It's easy to do until a more talented player replaces him. He's got a lot of things going against him, LOL. Aging veteran in a game relying less and less on physical play and then tack on the atrocious contract from GMBM! He's like a built-in scapegoat :popcorn:.

Oh and I bet a coach did tell him that because I've never seen Orpik do that! However, that doesn't make it a smart or good play :sarcasm:.

RandyHolt likes this.
  6. IafrateOvie34

IafrateOvie34 Registered User

You're hired as our next coach.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User

I just can't understand this type of thinking.

First playoff 2008, Ovechkin huge goal in game one, two goal game in game six to force a game seven, scored one of the two goals in game seven.

2009, best player on the ice in the first two rounds, I don't care about game seven because without Ovechkin there is no game seven, oh and maybe our goalie could make a save the way MAF did on Ovie's breakaway.

2010, again he was insane 5 + 5 in the series and he did clutch up and score the tying goal late in game seven only to have it waived off on a bogus interference call.

2011 - game winner in game five against the Rangers, 3 + 2 in the series. No one was good against TB, Ovechkin still managed to get two goals in four games. 2 + 1.

2012 - 2 +3 against the Bruins in a series that saw the Caps get 16 goals in 7 games, four of which went to OT. 3 + 1 against the Rangers with McDonogh in his pocket the entire series.

2013 - 1 + 1, without a doubt Ovechkin's worst playoff showing. He wasn't engaged.

2015 - Finally he didn't have to be great against the Isles, he still was very good. 2 + 3 in seven games. Assisted on the OT game winner in game four. Best Caps forward against the Rangers and it wasn't close, 3 + 1.

2016 - Ovechkin was a PPG player and his line shut down Crosby while he had 7 points and a +3 compared to Crosby's 2 points -2. Nothing else to say.

2017 - 3 goals in six against the Leafs, 2 + 3 against the Pens but his defense could have been better. Goaltending decided the series.

Outside of maybe one series against the Rangers, if anyone thinks Ovechkin is the problem I just have no idea what to say.

8. VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan Registered User

Remember the "trade ovi" movment?....:huh:

9. Raikkonen

Raikkonen In GMBT we trust

It's time, guys. Bet your house on Columbus next game.

10. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

Those lines would be OK with me.

hb11xchamps likes this.
  11. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

I think Carlson and Niskanen have been OK. The best pairing has been easily Carlson and Kempny. I think they have only been on the ice for one goal against in the series.

12. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Registered User

Very good summary. I only have this to say.

Somebody lost their :pout: lunch money betting on the Caps vs Pitt last year :rolleyes:

calicapsfan and VaCaps Fan like this.
  13. RandyHolt

RandyHolt Keep truckin'

Point counter point Playoff Ovi..... 0.0 OT goals... hurts. Not even 1 PPOTGW despite more OT PPs than ever. IIRC R2G7 Pitt last year he lost the puck twice which led to both GA. Taking candy from a baby. But a big part of no shows are injuries. He played as physical as anyone and gets injured and plays on. I would like to see him hit a few more breakaways, but its a tiny sample size. That Pitt game 7 Varly meltdown game always sticks out. The big thing with him, is that the entire team and our fans feed energy off of him. It's actually ****ing unreal how much pressure he carries to lead and entertain EVERYONE. We are leeches. Hang your head in shame.

Since tending is HUGE lets talk tending. Does anyone think Holts could have or should have prevented that OT goal? I am fine with his overall performance and honestly don't know. But he did take the L.

Maybe the best thing to happen was Barry losing with his 4th line on the ice. Who is the fall guy on that final goal, anyways? Jerabek half tied up his guy who scored with 1 arm.

The next playoff theme is brewing.... Need for Speed. Vrana for Bura is net 0 so it will take another L before Barry pulls out Gersich.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 9:15 PM
  14. Sam Spade

OT goals are rarely scored by superstars they get D pair one. Crosby got his first one last season, Malkin only has one (against the Caps of course), Brooks Orpik has the same amount, it is what it is. He should have had an assist last night on a winner but Tom Wilson decided to revert back to 2016 Wilson.

As to game seven last year, fair point, Ovie was not good but neither was anyone else.

ovikovy817 and RandyHolt like this.
  15. Bananas

Bananas ****

No right back. First of all I didn’t even mention Bowey. As for Djoos, is he less ready than the blueliners who are giving up 4 goals a game? I mean, we could easily win or lose the next few games. I’d personally rather go down with players who we can’t already say beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt aren’t really going to do dick now or in the future. If you’re thinking that we might be missing out on a chance on the Cup if we do play them, you’re flat out wrong. It’s failed logic to think this version of the Caps is winning anything this year. Sure. They might do it but it’s 100 percent certain that the Caps are gonna have to ice a hockey team next year. That’s a whole hell of a lot of a better chance than them winning the Stanley Cup this year. Make plans accordingly...

The “we must know with 100 percent certainty that this version of the team is not going to win much because they’ve already been eliminated” strategy is total bull****. We can all see clear as day that it’s only a question of “when, how and under what terms”, not a question of “if”... this team will not win the Stanley Cup this year. Stop pretending like that’s a remote possibility because it’s not. That fact is simply compounded when the org allows trades and roster decisions to be tainted by the obvious fallacy that “oh, no...we can’t possibly give up because it’s not totally IMPOSSIBLE that we can win”.

Know when to hold ‘em and know when to fold ‘em. It was a “fold ‘em” season the minute Trotz was given the privilege to ride-or-die and the offseason and deadline didn’t do squat to substantially alter this forgone outcome. Make no mistake, the Caps have an infinitesimally small chance this year. That reality won’t be swayed one way or another, whether or not DSP or Chiasson get a sweater. Our future could definitely be effected if, say, Gersich or Djoos get their first taste of the NHL playoffs perhaps before they’re ready.

You decide what’s better for this organization...I already have and it’s not even close.

16. RandyHolt

RandyHolt Keep truckin'

OK I will say it. I thought Holts could have stuck out his left pad a little sooner than he did on the OT goal.

I am not going to lay blame at him at all for the loss. But every single goal allowed is worth much more than the scrutiny we give them. Tending is HUGE and simply decides games; more than any other single factor.

VaCaps Fan likes this.
  17. VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan Registered User

He looked good before that, giving me hope if Holtby starts game 3.

18. Barry Amsterdam

Barry Amsterdam Registered User

Incoming
    Ovi- Kuz-Wilson
    Connolly-Backy- Oshie
    Vrana-Eller-DSP
    Stephenson- Beagle-Chiasson

19. RandyHolt

RandyHolt Keep truckin'

I am fine with whoever Barry starts as long as they are on a short leash. It seems like pretty much a coin flip of who is best to start for us. When in doubt thought, Holts goes out.

For as bad as Grubby may have seemed to some, he had our team playing with a lead a vast majority of this TOI. Some may argue that it means he gives up late leads or goals but whateves. Tiny sample size. I am just glad Holts held up well for that 3rd period, since he is not a pinch hitter. He's a starter that you know what, really doesn't need his pregame rituals to do OK.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 10:04 AM
  20. HunterSThompson

HunterSThompson Registered User

What else is new, the Caps Sh% tanking in the playoffs.

calicapsfan likes this.
  21. RandyHolt

RandyHolt Keep truckin'

Yep, just like the golden years of playoff choking. 50 shots to 20, and lose 3-2.

22. CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupFantasy It’s Go Time!!

Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    I look at this and the first thing I think is, “good overall, but overall not good enough (for a Superstar) to lead his team to a Cup, or even close to it”.

I think history will have a different view (than your rosy post) of my favorite Capital of all time unless they progress.

09 playoff Ovy....I miss that guy. You would think he would have reappeared at least once since then.

23. Eazy for Kuzy

Eazy for Kuzy Forever a Caps fan

I think there was definitely a year or two where he was good enough as a superstar to lead his team to the Cup and everyone failed him. That first playoff series against PIT, he had an astonishing 14 points in 7 games. The supporting cast was just not good enough. Ovi never had his "Geno" to come and save the day for him.

24. CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupFantasy It’s Go Time!!

Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    Which is why I said “overall”. He’s had some moments.

25. Sam Spade

I don't care about history I care about my perception and memories.

What is a great playoff player anyway? Crosby went two entire series without a goal in 2016 and won a Conn Smythe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.