Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
I’m pretty sure Ovi scored 2 goals tonight. I’m pretty sure he carried his team through out the 3rd. He wanted that tying goal

The team plays better when ovi plays better. They follow what he does and feed off his energy. But yeah he’s not a leader

Trotz on the other hand, is such a leader. Benching players for doing his garabage system, players taking stupid penalties left and right cause they don’t respect him, never blaming himself and never adapting

Trotz is garbage too, but Ovie has rotated out a couple of coaches and never been truly clutch or taken any of hte several stacked and president's trophy-winning teams past the second round.

He's mentally weak and it's written all over his face every time the pressure is on. When they choked against the much depleted Pens last year I knew the window was finished and this team is done.

Blow it up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m not suggesting they bring up the entire farm and swap the roster out entirely. I’m not suggesting they throw in the towel. But they can’t bench Djoos, Vrana, and Gersich for plugs who have no future in the NHL. They don’t have to play all of them but they definitely shouldn’t sit all of them either. The rest of these playoffs should certainly be about “who wants to be a Cap moving forward?” - the NHL caliber veterans included. Next year and beyond have to be part of the team’s thinking for whatever’s left of this season.

No. You talk about the rest of these playoffs as if it 2 or 3 games and then golf and that winning the games isn't the most important thing. Djoos isn't ready. He's just not. MacLelland would not have gotten both of these D at the deadline if he was. You want to scratch them both and let Djoos and Bowey play?

The plugs don't play the "same position" that Beagle and Chaisson do. If you want the complain about Connolly, fine. He doesn't qualify as a plug.

These games. They play to win them. They can teach hockey next regular season

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Yea...I am wondering. If Orpik was down in the corner with the puck, there was a forward covering his spot. Right? Is that the reason Orlov got beat down the ice? The reason the pass was open? I am good with hanging a goof on Orpik when he earns it but how is Orpik holding the puck down low the reason Orlov got burned for a breakaway?
Yup, I already mentioned all that above...
Orlov was stuck as the lone defender with a forward covering for Orpik(which is never ideal). Meaning Orlov was probably cheating just a tad in case his helper gaffed. Well just so happens the pass was absolutely perfect and was barely outside of Orlov's reach(Watch it it's maybe half an inch from being poked by Orlov). In conclusion, Orpik made a bad decision which then snowballed. Brooks Orpik should've never been that far in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick.
Additions in bold.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Because there was a wholesale line change and the forwards couldn't get back in time. Orpik lost the puck in the corner, Orlov lost his man, and the forwards were just changed out, with all three in the neutral zone heading for Atkinson.
This is what I meant by snowballing. Orpik's bad decision(he's not skilled enough to make those plays and he should know that) was the impetus for the domino effect. Swap the two players in this scenario(Orpik with Orlov) and we likely would've held the offensive zone and we wouldn't be talking about this at all *shrugs*.
In conclusion, Orpik made a bad decision which then snowballed.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
We'll blame Orpik!!!1!
It's easy to do until a more talented player replaces him. He's got a lot of things going against him, LOL. Aging veteran in a game relying less and less on physical play and then tack on the atrocious contract from GMBM! He's like a built-in scapegoat :popcorn:.

Oh and I bet a coach did tell him that because I've never seen Orpik do that! However, that doesn't make it a smart or good play :sarcasm:.

Reactions: RandyHolt

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'd play both Vrana and Gersich and sit Chiasson but hey what do I know? This team lacks overall team speed and secondary scoring and both can help in that regard

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Connolly-Eller-DSP
Stephenson-Beagle-Gersich

You're hired as our next coach.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Trotz is garbage too, but Ovie has rotated out a couple of coaches and never been truly clutch or taken any of hte several stacked and president's trophy-winning teams past the second round.

He's mentally weak and it's written all over his face every time the pressure is on. When they choked against the much depleted Pens last year I knew the window was finished and this team is done.

Blow it up.

I just can't understand this type of thinking.

First playoff 2008, Ovechkin huge goal in game one, two goal game in game six to force a game seven, scored one of the two goals in game seven.

2009, best player on the ice in the first two rounds, I don't care about game seven because without Ovechkin there is no game seven, oh and maybe our goalie could make a save the way MAF did on Ovie's breakaway.

2010, again he was insane 5 + 5 in the series and he did clutch up and score the tying goal late in game seven only to have it waived off on a bogus interference call.

2011 - game winner in game five against the Rangers, 3 + 2 in the series. No one was good against TB, Ovechkin still managed to get two goals in four games. 2 + 1.

2012 - 2 +3 against the Bruins in a series that saw the Caps get 16 goals in 7 games, four of which went to OT. 3 + 1 against the Rangers with McDonogh in his pocket the entire series.

2013 - 1 + 1, without a doubt Ovechkin's worst playoff showing. He wasn't engaged.

2015 - Finally he didn't have to be great against the Isles, he still was very good. 2 + 3 in seven games. Assisted on the OT game winner in game four. Best Caps forward against the Rangers and it wasn't close, 3 + 1.

2016 - Ovechkin was a PPG player and his line shut down Crosby while he had 7 points and a +3 compared to Crosby's 2 points -2. Nothing else to say.

2017 - 3 goals in six against the Leafs, 2 + 3 against the Pens but his defense could have been better. Goaltending decided the series.

Outside of maybe one series against the Rangers, if anyone thinks Ovechkin is the problem I just have no idea what to say.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'd play both Vrana and Gersich and sit Chiasson but hey what do I know? This team lacks overall team speed and secondary scoring and both can help in that regard

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Connolly-Eller-DSP
Stephenson-Beagle-Gersich
Those lines would be OK with me.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think it’s fair to say that all 6 defensemen have been various levels of bad this series with I guess Kempny being the least bad but still not good either. Compare that to Jones and Werenski being difference makers on CBJ.

Get Djoos in the lineup and see what he can do, what can it hurt?
I think Carlson and Niskanen have been OK. The best pairing has been easily Carlson and Kempny. I think they have only been on the ice for one goal against in the series.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA

First playoff 2008, Ovechkin huge goal in game one, two goal game in game six to force a game seven, scored one of the two goals in game seven.

2009, best player on the ice in the first two rounds, I don't care about game seven because without Ovechkin there is no game seven, oh and maybe our goalie could make a save the way MAF did on Ovie's breakaway.

2010, again he was insane 5 + 5 in the series and he did clutch up and score the tying goal late in game seven only to have it waived off on a bogus interference call.

2011 - game winner in game five against the Rangers, 3 + 2 in the series. No one was good against TB, Ovechkin still managed to get two goals in four games. 2 + 1.

2012 - 2 +3 against the Bruins in a series that saw the Caps get 16 goals in 7 games, four of which went to OT. 3 + 1 against the Rangers with McDonogh in his pocket the entire series.

2013 - 1 + 1, without a doubt Ovechkin's worst playoff showing. He wasn't engaged.

2015 - Finally he didn't have to be great against the Isles, he still was very good. 2 + 3 in seven games. Assisted on the OT game winner in game four. Best Caps forward against the Rangers and it wasn't close, 3 + 1.

2016 - Ovechkin was a PPG player and his line shut down Crosby while he had 7 points and a +3 compared to Crosby's 2 points -2. Nothing else to say.

2017 - 3 goals in six against the Leafs, 2 + 3 against the Pens but his defense could have been better. Goaltending decided the series.

Outside of maybe one series against the Rangers, if anyone thinks Ovechkin is the problem I just have no idea what to say.
Very good summary. I only have this to say.

Somebody lost their :pout: lunch money betting on the Caps vs Pitt last year :rolleyes:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Point counter point Playoff Ovi..... 0.0 OT goals... hurts. Not even 1 PPOTGW despite more OT PPs than ever. IIRC R2G7 Pitt last year he lost the puck twice which led to both GA. Taking candy from a baby. But a big part of no shows are injuries. He played as physical as anyone and gets injured and plays on. I would like to see him hit a few more breakaways, but its a tiny sample size. That Pitt game 7 Varly meltdown game always sticks out. The big thing with him, is that the entire team and our fans feed energy off of him. It's actually f***ing unreal how much pressure he carries to lead and entertain EVERYONE. We are leeches. Hang your head in shame.

Since tending is HUGE lets talk tending. Does anyone think Holts could have or should have prevented that OT goal? I am fine with his overall performance and honestly don't know. But he did take the L.

Maybe the best thing to happen was Barry losing with his 4th line on the ice. Who is the fall guy on that final goal, anyways? Jerabek half tied up his guy who scored with 1 arm.

The next playoff theme is brewing.... Need for Speed. Vrana for Bura is net 0 so it will take another L before Barry pulls out Gersich.

drive.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Point counter point Playoff Ovi..... 0.0 OT goals... hurts. Not even 1 PPOTGW despite more OT PPs than ever. IIRC R2G7 Pitt las.t year he lost the puck twice which led to both GA.

OT goals are rarely scored by superstars they get D pair one. Crosby got his first one last season, Malkin only has one (against the Caps of course), Brooks Orpik has the same amount, it is what it is. He should have had an assist last night on a winner but Tom Wilson decided to revert back to 2016 Wilson.

As to game seven last year, fair point, Ovie was not good but neither was anyone else.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
No. You talk about the rest of these playoffs as if it 2 or 3 games and then golf and that winning the games isn't the most important thing. Djoos isn't ready. He's just not. MacLelland would not have gotten both of these D at the deadline if he was. You want to scratch them both and let Djoos and Bowey play?

The plugs don't play the "same position" that Beagle and Chaisson do. If you want the complain about Connolly, fine. He doesn't qualify as a plug.

These games. They play to win them. They can teach hockey next regular season

No right back. First of all I didn’t even mention Bowey. As for Djoos, is he less ready than the blueliners who are giving up 4 goals a game? I mean, we could easily win or lose the next few games. I’d personally rather go down with players who we can’t already say beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt aren’t really going to do dick now or in the future. If you’re thinking that we might be missing out on a chance on the Cup if we do play them, you’re flat out wrong. It’s failed logic to think this version of the Caps is winning anything this year. Sure. They might do it but it’s 100 percent certain that the Caps are gonna have to ice a hockey team next year. That’s a whole hell of a lot of a better chance than them winning the Stanley Cup this year. Make plans accordingly...

The “we must know with 100 percent certainty that this version of the team is not going to win much because they’ve already been eliminated” strategy is total bullshit. We can all see clear as day that it’s only a question of “when, how and under what terms”, not a question of “if”... this team will not win the Stanley Cup this year. Stop pretending like that’s a remote possibility because it’s not. That fact is simply compounded when the org allows trades and roster decisions to be tainted by the obvious fallacy that “oh, no...we can’t possibly give up because it’s not totally IMPOSSIBLE that we can win”.

Know when to hold ‘em and know when to fold ‘em. It was a “fold ‘em” season the minute Trotz was given the privilege to ride-or-die and the offseason and deadline didn’t do squat to substantially alter this forgone outcome. Make no mistake, the Caps have an infinitesimally small chance this year. That reality won’t be swayed one way or another, whether or not DSP or Chiasson get a sweater. Our future could definitely be effected if, say, Gersich or Djoos get their first taste of the NHL playoffs perhaps before they’re ready.

You decide what’s better for this organization...I already have and it’s not even close.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
OK I will say it. I thought Holts could have stuck out his left pad a little sooner than he did on the OT goal.

I am not going to lay blame at him at all for the loss. But every single goal allowed is worth much more than the scrutiny we give them. Tending is HUGE and simply decides games; more than any other single factor.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am fine with whoever Barry starts as long as they are on a short leash. It seems like pretty much a coin flip of who is best to start for us. When in doubt thought, Holts goes out.

For as bad as Grubby may have seemed to some, he had our team playing with a lead a vast majority of this TOI. Some may argue that it means he gives up late leads or goals but whateves. Tiny sample size. I am just glad Holts held up well for that 3rd period, since he is not a pinch hitter. He's a starter that you know what, really doesn't need his pregame rituals to do OK.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I look at this and the first thing I think is, “good overall, but overall not good enough (for a Superstar) to lead his team to a Cup, or even close to it”.

I think history will have a different view (than your rosy post) of my favorite Capital of all time unless they progress.

09 playoff Ovy....I miss that guy. You would think he would have reappeared at least once since then.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I look at this and the first thing I think is, “good overall, but overall not good enough for a Superstar to lead his team to a Cup, or even close to it”.

I think history will have a different view (than your rosy post) of my favorite Capital of all time unless they progress.

I think there was definitely a year or two where he was good enough as a superstar to lead his team to the Cup and everyone failed him. That first playoff series against PIT, he had an astonishing 14 points in 7 games. The supporting cast was just not good enough. Ovi never had his "Geno" to come and save the day for him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think there was definitely a year or two where he was good enough as a superstar to lead his team to the Cup and everyone failed him. That first playoff series against PIT, he had an astonishing 14 points in 7 games. The supporting cast was just not good enough. Ovi never had his "Geno" to come and save the day for him.

Which is why I said “overall”. He’s had some moments.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I look at this and the first thing I think is, “good overall, but overall not good enough (for a Superstar) to lead his team to a Cup, or even close to it”.

09 playoff Ovy....I miss that guy. You would think he would have reappeared at least once since then.

I don't care about history I care about my perception and memories.

What is a great playoff player anyway? Crosby went two entire series without a goal in 2016 and won a Conn Smythe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad