Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I too think Willy is conflicted. He is expecting a suspension every time he is about to hit someone, AND a penalty. Hanging with Kuzy and Ovi (vs top D) likely isn't the easiest thing in the world. He seems a bit of our sorts but should do better, especially on the road with less pressure. His linemates need to know his limitations, too. He was on a 3 on 1, and I think it was Nick/Kuzy who made the easy forehand pass to him, when really the play was the quick BH pass to Ovi for a one timer. Don't blame Willy that he couldn't loft pass it to Ovi. And shoot? The entire team has been brainwashed for a decade to get pucks to Ovi.

As per usual, we will be heavy favorites in every damn game of the series even down 3-0.
He's a pretty limited player. Not particularly adept at handling the puck, although he will make the occasional nice pass. I wish we had a strong player with more skill, but unfortunately he's the best we've got. Wilson is a good 3rd liner, pretty clear to me that's his peak.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Burt out. Vrana or Gersich in? Give me Gersich. He seems well coached and not gaffe prone. Put him with Eller and DSP

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd play both Vrana and Gersich and sit Chiasson but hey what do I know? This team lacks overall team speed and secondary scoring and both can help in that regard

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Connolly-Eller-DSP
Stephenson-Beagle-Gersich

From what I've seen the don't look like they have lost for overall team speed. Wasn't the first goal against a 5 on 2? That was brain drain. Not speed

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
From what I've seen the don't look like they have lost for overall team speed. Wasn't the first goal against a 5 on 2? That was brain drain. Not speed
No, the first goal against was Atkinson breakaway, getting behind the defense on a stretch pass from Foligno.
It was the second against where it was basically a five-on-two.

The third goal was a power play goal as Panarin fed a wide-open Atkinson at the right faceoff dot.
The fourth goal was also a power play goal shot from center-point and deflected in front, mid-slot by Stephenson with two Jackets players screening.

Anyone see the pattern?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No, the first goal against was Atkinson breakaway, getting behind the defense on a stretch pass from Foligno.
It was the second against where it was basically a five-on-two.

The third goal was a power play goal as Panarin fed a wide-open Atkinson at the right faceoff dot.
The fourth goal was also a power play goal shot from center-point and deflected in front, mid-slot by Stephenson with two Jackets players screening.

Anyone see the pattern?

Sounds to me like, stay out of the box, which Torts is saying too, and a full forward mental gaffe. Atkinson on a breakaway isn't a rare thing. That was Orlov getting burned there again. Yes?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Barry Trotz should get fired before Game 3 for starting Grubauer in this game.

VaCaps Fan

Feb 18, 2018
Holtby needs to be lights outs for game three, Grubauer has been exposed as a backup quality goalie.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thought the Caps were the better team in both games, especially last night. Lose game 3 and obviously it's over but think if the Caps can pull that game out they still win the series. Starting Grubauer was the right call this series but it did not work out. Fortunately they have a Vezina winning goaltender who is fully motivated to take this series for the Caps.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
That was Orlov getting burned there again. Yes?
You could say that and it wouldn't be false as he was the nearest defender on that breakout pass. However, the play was caused by Brooks Orpik pinching down low with the puck in the corner and holding onto it. For some reason he thought it was smart to try and make a board play in the corner? Of course he turned it over and the Jackets transitioned right into our zone with that stretch pass. Orlov was stuck as the lone defender with a forward covering for Orpik. Meaning Orlov was probably cheating just a tad in case his helper gaffed. Well just so happens the pass was absolutely perfect and was barely outside of Orlov's reach. In conclusion, Orpik made a bad decision which then snowballed. Brooks Orpik should've never been that far in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick. He needs to either pass that or chip it behind the net and get back in defensive position. I guess he thought he was some great offensive asset after he actually(luckily?) got a shot through...(Beagles first deflection goal)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Blame Orpik....feels comforting.

If he gave up the OT winner or that Atkinson goal, he’d be tarred and feathered already around here.

Caps have some significant issues, and one is their top defenders getting torched on the grandest scale.

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Blame Orpik....feels comforting.

If he gave up the OT winner or that Atkinson goal, he’d be tarred and feathered already around here.

Caps have some significant issues, and one is their top defenders getting torched on the grandest scale.

Yea...I am wondering. If Orpik was down in the corner with the puck, there was a forward covering his spot. Right? Is that the reason Orlov got beat down the ice? The reason the pass was open? I am good with hanging a goof on Orpik when he earns it but how is Orpik holding the puck down low the reason Orlov got burned for a breakaway?

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Sounds to me like, stay out of the box, which Torts is saying too, and a full forward mental gaffe. Atkinson on a breakaway isn't a rare thing. That was Orlov getting burned there again. Yes?
Better yet:
Columbus scores on horrendous defensive breakdowns, i.e., Keystone Caps, or bad penalty kills by either allowing a wide-open, right-side version of the Ovechkin wheelhouse shot or failing to clear the front of the net screen.

Meanwhile, the Caps score on:
Beagle deflection from Orpik
Ovechkin wheelhouse powerplay goal
Ovechkin wheelhouse powerplay goal
Oshie slot powerplay goal

The problem isn't per se staying out of the box - it's actually playing decent five-on-five hockey. The Caps may have "dominated" the shot totals, but there wasn't a ton of excitement nor result in the Caps' five-on-five game.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think it’s fair to say that all 6 defensemen have been various levels of bad this series with I guess Kempny being the least bad but still not good either. Compare that to Jones and Werenski being difference makers on CBJ.

Get Djoos in the lineup and see what he can do, what can it hurt?

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Yea...I am wondering. If Orpik was down in the corner with the puck, there was a forward covering his spot. Right? Is that the reason Orlov got beat down the ice? The reason the pass was open? I am good with hanging a goof on Orpik when he earns it but how is Orpik holding the puck down low the reason Orlov got burned for a breakaway?
Because there was a wholesale line change and the forwards couldn't get back in time. Orpik lost the puck in the corner, Orlov lost his man, and the forwards were just changed out, with all three in the neutral zone heading for Atkinson.

In other words, turtle at all costs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it’s fair to say that all 6 defensemen have been various levels of bad this series with I guess Kempny being the least bad but still not good either. Compare that to Jones and Werenski being difference makers on CBJ.

Get Djoos in the lineup and see what he can do, what can it hurt?

Well....both those games went to OT and in both cases one more good play or one less bad play and the Caps win each game. How it can hurt is that Djoos adds fire to the defense and the games don't get to OT.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Because there was a wholesale line change and the forwards couldn't get back in time. Orpik lost the puck in the corner, Orlov lost his man, and the forwards were just changed out, with all three in the neutral zone heading for Atkinson.

In other words, turtle at all costs.

So, the forwards took advantage of Orpik holding the puck in deep to change? Another reason why its not on Orpik

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Orpik was likely told by Barry to bring the pressure, go down low if needed. Orpik will never on his own accord go down below the goal line. Book it. It was just he and Ovi, who was standing in front. Marked.

At least Orpik didn't throw the puck back towards his own end.

I would have actually liked to have seen Ovi try and at least go towards the Orpik pass to the vacant corner, vs just stand there flat footed and watch the GA evolving. Maybe Ovi was supposed to be in the corner WRT the change, do some cycling to stall time. What the hell do we know.

We'll blame Orpik!!!1!

Last edited:

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
No kidding but that is stupid as hell. You really quit that easy? They lost 2 overtime games. The second of which appears to have been pretty dominating.

We know how this playoff **** works. If the Caps win g3 all the pressure flips into cbj.

Doom. Doom and gloom

I’m not suggesting they bring up the entire farm and swap the roster out entirely. I’m not suggesting they throw in the towel. But they can’t bench Djoos, Vrana, and Gersich for plugs who have no future in the NHL. They don’t have to play all of them but they definitely shouldn’t sit all of them either. The rest of these playoffs should certainly be about “who wants to be a Cap moving forward?” - the NHL caliber veterans included. Next year and beyond have to be part of the team’s thinking for whatever’s left of this season.

It would indeed take a miracle for this team to make it far this year, but most could have told you that at any point in the season. This miracle has just as much of a chance of happening with younger, faster players in the lineup as opposed to very low skilled veterans who don’t have a future on the team if we ever plan on being serious about winning. Losing AND playing the veteran/plumber lineup is an unacceptable outcome moving forward. In classic Caps fashion, it is also the most likely by far.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
p.s. Winning in it all in this league is hard. It requires a couple of Hall of Fame players, a true number one dman, or a Tim Thomas goalie performance, Caps have never had any these things.

Just enjoy Ovechkin before he is gone is what I say.
Tru dat. Deep cup runs require a hot goalie playing on his head and stealing a game or 2 or 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->