Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
NO. Again, for the third time, my point is that these kinds of "yeah but" dissections can be made for EVERY GOALTENDER, EVERY GAME. They are especially meaningless in the playoffs. You either get the job done or you don't.

Consider whether or not these forensic goal breakdowns mean anything compared to what happens around the league.

Dissecting every goal and looking for excuses is a fool's errand. We cannot analyze goals that never happen, and the ones that do happen come pre-loaded with excuses. Multiply this times the number of shots faced by every netminder in every game, and then factor in the shot-blocking or overall play of the team in front of them, and you have a situation where there are just too many unknowns and variables.

You are looking too closely at one goaltender, one game, and a handful of goals. Move on from that mentality and find some other way to measure these players. The bigger picture is more important.
Just so we're clear. If that OT goes the other way you are in favor of keeping Grubauer?

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Trotz is trying to say Vrana had some turnovers and there's nothing he hates more than them. If it suffocates them offensively, so be it.

Yep, playing to not lose instead of playing to win. He had some pretty bad defensive lapses. Anyone paying attention saw that, but jeez, on a team with a lack of “moving their feet”, it’s like self-neutering.

Reactions: Skrudland2Lomakin

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
also i've gotta think trotz has damn well lost at least some of the room. i mean i can't find a single person on here or on twitter who thinks his lineup decisions are ok. i'm sure some of the players have to be pissed. i mean backstrom said djoos would break out in the post season, and he can't crack the lineup either.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I expect this to be a litmus test for the next couple of weeks. Win today and they should be back on track against a weak opponent (yes, CBJ sucks). Lose and we might as well start booking tee times.
Columbus isnt a weak opponent. They were the hottest team down the stretch. They have a solid score and excellent goaltending and they are a physical team. They don't match us offensively but they match us everywhere else.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

(2nd is japers rink)

fwiw, looking at all the caps twitter guys, they all say the same thing. vrana had bad turnovers

He did have some horrendous turnovers, but he also was arguably our most dangerous player. I think rather than scratching him you surround him with more defensively competent players to compensate. This is a very "playing not to lose" move, Vrana is a gamble but our roster isn't good enough to not gamble.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just so we're clear. If that OT goes the other way you are in favor of keeping Grubauer?

What does that have to do with what I've said?

No. I would still start Holtby in a 2 man rotation. I've said this over and over. My point has nothing to do with forensic goal analysis determining who plays.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Bura legit cost us a goal with his dumb penalty

Connolly was useless the entire game

But Vrana was up and down so we will bench him

Reactions: g00n

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
He did have some horrendous turnovers, but he also was arguably our most dangerous player. I think rather than scratching him you surround him with more defensively competent players to compensate. This is a very "playing not to lose" move, Vrana is a gamble but our roster isn't good enough to not gamble.

and who are those guys? im all for him being in the lineup but we gonna put him 4th line?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

should vrana be playing? sure but this doesnt lie

Who DIDN'T make mistakes in that game? As I said before, every player makes mistakes. But few can really score and you can't teach speed.

Vrana is FORWARD, and a WING at that. Trotz wants his Fwds to all be defense-first but your speed wingers are the last guys you look to for defense.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
What does that have to do with what I've said?

No. I would still start Holtby in a 2 man rotation. I've said this over and over. My point has nothing to do with forensic goal analysis determining who plays.
You said you were results oriented, if we won the game I'm assuming that result would have been one that favored the starting G.

Regarding the rotating G? Eh, why? Like what's the point, when was the last time either of these guys played a system like that. It seem like constantly hitting the reset button, just as one begins to heat up you dump it to the other guy, and then back.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You said you were results oriented, if we won the game I'm assuming that result would have been one that favored the starting G.

Regarding the rotating G? Eh, why? Like what's the point, when was the last time either of these guys played a system like that. It seem like constantly hitting the reset button, just as one begins to heat up you dump it to the other guy, and then back.

You know, I've explained this enough times you can just search it. I'm done walking you through this.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Bura legit cost us a goal with his dumb penalty

Connolly was useless the entire game

But Vrana was up and down so we will bench him

no, the caps in-ability to clear the zone did that.

tom wilson cost us a goal with a silly penalty too. wheres your complaint about him?

connolly was a 4th line guy playing with stephenson and chiasson. were you expecting him to score?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

should vrana be playing? sure but this doesnt lie

Lmao. I said the exact same thing about Vrana and people jumped allover me and came to his defence. He made a nice play on the DSP goal but other than that he was a liability. I commented about the terrible give away in front if our net on the same shift that ended up in a goal for DSP. I also stated that he was involved in both even strength goals against us.
There is a reason his ice time gets cut and he is a healthy scratch at times. But most here just dont see it.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Who DIDN'T make mistakes in that game? As I said before, every player makes mistakes. But few can really score and you can't teach speed.

Vrana is FORWARD, and a WING at that. Trotz wants his Fwds to all be defense-first but your speed wingers are the last guys you look to for defense.

i get that, im just saying nearly everyone is saying the same exact thing. he stood out more then everyone else. should he be playing in game 2? absolutely. but its not a good sign when everyone is basically saying the same thing

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Also what is being buried in the lede is that Orpik couldn't clear Thomas Vanek from the crease and that resulted in a goal. So we're now at a place where Orpik's strength isn't even his strength anymore.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Scratching Vrana is LITERALLY the opposite of what we need to do. Trotz is indeed a caveman. Vrana had a few turnovers so Trotz, and I'm assuming a few posters on this board who seem to be related to him, see that as reason enough to scratch him.

Even with those turnovers Vrana was one of our three most dangerous players.

3 players that the Jackets seemed to have no answer for, Kuzy, Bura, and Vrana. Now what the hell do those guys have in common?

I mean Vrana used his deadly speed to gift wrap DSP a goal. I bet when Vrana asked why he was scratched instead of DSP Trotz replied, "Well, he scored a goal.:
Sorry but Vrana had a bad game. Bad turnovers, very soft play along the boards and weak defensively. He made mistakes that cost us.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The forward lines I'd go with (I'd keep the d the same):

OV-Kuzy-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Bura-Eller-DSP
Stephenson-Beagle-Gersich

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yep, playing to not lose instead of playing to win. He had some pretty bad defensive lapses. Anyone paying attention saw that, but jeez, on a team with a lack of “moving their feet”, it’s like self-neutering.
And people wonder why this team has no cojones. Trotz would rather play the 'right way' than win (a.k.a. gentlemanly losing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad