Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ahhh the annual nostalgia of taking first place, fumbling around early in a series, and have our backs to the wall. Tons of shots, and an OT loss. The bonus this year? Blowing first period leads.

Beagle got turned around on the game winner. Live by the plumbers.

I actually thought Bura would be a good scratch candidate after his boneheaded trip in game 1. Happiest guy today, Vrana.

Grubby did meh he didn't give up softies those were valid goals. But as per usual we needed more than meh, and Holts was about meh in relief duty.

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ahhh the annual nostalgia of taking first place, fumbling around early in a series, and have our backs to the wall. Tons of shots, and an OT loss. The bonus this year? Blowing first period leads.

Beagle got turned around on the game winner. Live by the plumbers.

I actually thought Bura would be a good scratch candidate after his boneheaded trip in game 1. Happiest guy today, Vrana.

Grubby did meh he didn't give up softies those were valid goals. But as per usual we needed more than meh, and Holts was about meh in relief duty.

The Anderson goal was softer than melted butter.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
The problem with keeping this rotting, aging, unsuccessful core around and dropping in some young blood is that those young guys will learn from losers and, even if talented, probably end up losers themselves.

This requires a full culture rebuild. This team will never ever ever win a Stanley Cup. They are losers and losing hockey teams have cultures that reflect this.

I promise you that locker room feels like a funeral home before every single playoff game and *it always will* as long as the long time Caps vets and leaders in the room have been losers for a decade.

Blow it up.

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
Now it's Holtby's turn. Totally winnable Game 3.

Totally unreadable board until it's done.
It doesn't matter. This team is too mentally weak to do anything in the playoffs. Losing the first two games of the first round is evidence of this broader problem.

Even if they snuck a game 7 victory they're obviously going nowhere.

Ovechkin is not a leader or a pressure performer. Look at his eyes sometimes in pressure situations - he looks scared out of his mind. No backbone.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
It doesn't matter. This team is too mentally weak to do anything in the playoffs. Losing the first two games of the first round is evidence of this broader problem.

Even if they snuck a game 7 victory they're obviously going nowhere.

Ovechkin is not a leader or a pressure performer. Look at his eyes sometimes in pressure situations - he looks scared out of his mind. No backbone.

I’m pretty sure Ovi scored 2 goals tonight. I’m pretty sure he carried his team through out the 3rd. He wanted that tying goal

The team plays better when ovi plays better. They follow what he does and feed off his energy. But yeah he’s not a leader

Trotz on the other hand, is such a leader. Benching players for doing his garabage system, players taking stupid penalties left and right cause they don’t respect him, never blaming himself and never adapting

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kinda suuuuuucks that Ovi has no OT game winners in his career. You'd think there'd be a few PPGs in there, but nope.

So. Does my new proposed playoff theme come to life, or will we die go down grinding. #FastTimes

Changing themes mid playoffs may not be a bad idea. This is ugly early. Force the hand of Barry with a wave of new tars. At least I know I have @StrikingDistance on board.... or worst, bored. Alzner can be Mr Hand. Green is Spicoli. Ovi is Phoebe. Vrana is her friend, or Mark Ratner.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
The problem with keeping this rotting, aging, unsuccessful core around and dropping in some young blood is that those young guys will learn from losers and, even if talented, probably end up losers themselves.

This requires a full culture rebuild. This team will never ever ever win a Stanley Cup. They are losers and losing hockey teams have cultures that reflect this.

I promise you that locker room feels like a funeral home before every single playoff game and *it always will* as long as the long time Caps vets and leaders in the room have been losers for a decade.

Blow it up.
You know maybe this young group isn't really talented. Ok Kuzy and Orlov are, but technically right now they are part of that core group you call "losers". As for the others this is a weak prospect group. Maybe one of the weakest we have had in a long time. I feel like some of these guys, even Vrana, were not ready developement wise. The next few drafts are going to be very important.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Double kick in the nuts, Grubby yanked, and so, so much for Grubby having any trade value this summer. I still scoff at the notion at Patrick thinking he was so good that George would take him. He literally had almost no significant success/experience. They really thought George would take a player we basically never used?

I really wanted to ask Gersich about not playing, and what sort of game does he have, did he PK a lot in college, does he love to hit etc, but he was signing autographs etc. I think its time for him and a speed lineup. Look at CBus, who gives us heart attacks - their speed guy - Panarin. #FastTimesAtTrotzHigh

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Caps GAA is 4.5 in the playoffs, 4th worst
PK at 50% is tied for 2nd worst

Shots FOR per game is 1st

Interesting stat...Blue Jackets lead the NHL in wrist shot goals in the playoffs (7) despite having played only 2 games. So that means 7 of their 9 goals were wristers (one snap, one tip). They've taken 38 wristers so our combined save% against those shots is .815.

We're not being beaten by huge screens, tips, rebounds, deflections, etc. We're being schooled by wrist shots. Defenders have to disrupt those shots, and goalies have to be looking for them.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
I almost give us a better chance of winning a series when we are down 2-0 than up 2-0. The problem is, I put the chances in both scenarios in the low single digits.

2003 Conference Quarterfinals (i.e., R1). Caps take first two in Tampa. Tampa wins next four to take the series. Agreed, chances are low, but why not now?

And we'll get to see if our Vezina winner still has "it." With these players and this style in front of him, he'd better.

GMBM gets to really put his mark on the team this summer. That is, if Caps ownership is willing to pay for a decent coach and doesn't require BMac to obtain their approval before moving players.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If you can't stop them on the PK, you shouldn't take dumb penalties. If you don't do either of those, you're probably going to lose.

I have a problem with not playing Vrana when the team needs more team speed. But Trotz hasn't trusted him all season.

They're mediocre, have been most of the season, and aren't sure where they should go. They can't afford to put complementary parts around their stars, their stars are aging, and their young players haven't developed like they wanted. Their goaltending, which they invested pretty heavily in, hasn't done what they need it to do.

I don't think it's all on Trotz, but I also don't think he's getting enough out of the young players, or has a track record of developing them.

Personally, I think it gets worse before it gets better, but I think you have to visit a conversation where you talk to Ovechkin and ask him what he wants. Stick around through a mediocre year next year where they don't make the playoffs or are the 4th seed, or maybe you get what you can for him and move on.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Reading some posters here, I'd love to hear/see their action and reaction when Ovi leaves and this team will be no where.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Not enough it being said about our poor PKing. Sure, the goalie has a lot of say in that, but our PK doesn't look playoff as aggressive as I would think. Or, Bus has upped their PP and we are running around, lost.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Reading some posters here, I'd love to hear/see their action and reaction when Ovi leaves and this team will be no where.

I wouldn't hate a rebuild/retool, at least it gives me a few years to get over all the disappointment.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Re: Wilson, he looked confused and conflicted out there. They're calling him for a penalty any time he touches someone and he didn't have the same touch with the puck he's shown this year. I watched him later in the game without the puck and he wasn't sure where to go. Ovie and Kuz were trying to win the game themselves at times and TW would follow them into the zone, expected a drop pass. What? Dude, they are not going to drop one to you there. Go to the net. And when you get there, MAKE SOLID CONTACT.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, this board is based around prospects. It does entice some of that here. Maybe it's the new car smell of it.

That said, it is a question that has to be visited. Do they have enough to go out and improve to get to where they want to go? Does Ovechkin and some of the others who are getting older have a desire to stick through a two or three year process? Are the parts that are here for longer term) like Kuznetsov, Orlov and Eller too much to where they can't be bad enough to get the players and parts they'd need to improve?

What type of coach do they need? Vet who has been there? Builder? What's gonna work at this point? Do they need a GM?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I too think Willy is conflicted. He is expecting a suspension every time he is about to hit someone, AND a penalty. Hanging with Kuzy and Ovi (vs top D) likely isn't the easiest thing in the world. He seems a bit of our sorts but should do better, especially on the road with less pressure. His linemates need to know his limitations, too. He was on a 3 on 1, and I think it was Nick/Kuzy who made the easy forehand pass to him, when really the play was the quick BH pass to Ovi for a one timer. Don't blame Willy that he couldn't loft pass it to Ovi. And shoot? The entire team has been brainwashed for a decade to get pucks to Ovi.

As per usual, we will be heavy favorites in every damn game of the series even down 3-0.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Not enough it being said about our poor PKing. Sure, the goalie has a lot of say in that, but our PK doesn't look playoff as aggressive as I would think. Or, Bus has upped their PP and we are running around, lost.

I think it is the latter. Columbus moved the puck really well, especially the seam passes. I thought at times we were too aggressive.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad