Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
well mcphee fired boudreau mid year, so seems unlikely ted stopped it

Let's be honest, Boudreau was fired because Ovi was caught public bashing him with the "fat f***" comment. The team, or at least its 100 million dollar Captain and face of the franchise, couldn't stand him. Trotz is still well liked. And beyond it all Trotz still had them in first place, it's kinda like the idea we'd sell at the deadline. Selling or firing your coach when you're at first place gets people fired and they potentially won't get a job for a long time.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Let's be honest, Boudreau was fired because Ovi was caught public bashing him with the "fat ****" comment. The team, or at least its 100 million dollar Captain and face of the franchise, couldn't stand him. Trotz is still well liked. And beyond it all Trotz still had them in first place, it's kinda like the idea we'd sell at the deadline. Selling or firing your coach when you're at first place gets people fired and they potentially won't get a job for a long time.
Now he's got his extension. Time to damn the torpedoes.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
I think a lot of it has to do with revenue and fielding a competitive team during the regular season. There will always be a time to tank. We did it before and we'll do it again. Maybe the plan is to have more of these seasons of fielding semi-competitive teams to get revenue to go through the upcoming dark years when we will inevitably have to tank. There is no McDavid or Matthews coming up, now was definitely not the time to tank. The Nico Hischiers or Nolan Patricks of this world wouldn't get the Caps anywhere near the Cup. Tanking is only worth it if you get a shot at a generational player or a legitimate superstar.

I don't think GMBM thought this team had any shot at the Cup. He even said at the start of the season that he was concerned with the team defense.

I think almost all of us would have agreed coming in that this wasn’t a Cup level team. Now down 2-0 there is very little standing in the way of playing young players from here on out. This team needs to be looking at next year and beyond starting tomorrow. Anyone standing in the way of that should be summarily brushed aside by the brass. The only problem with that is no one important within the org has the stones to make that happen...there still in “let Trotzy prove he’s got what it takes” mode. A mode that should have ended a good long while ago...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think almost all of us would have agreed coming in that this wasn’t a Cup level team. Now down 2-0 there is very little standing in the way of playing young players from here on out. This team needs to be looking at next year and beyond starting tomorrow. Anyone standing in the way of that should be summarily brushed aside by the brass. The only problem with that is no one important within the org has the stones to make that happen...there still in “let Trotzy prove he’s got what it takes” mode. A mode that should have ended a good long while ago...

We had a window to fire Trotz last year after we lost. We didn't do it, and it didn't make sense to do it during the season while he had us in first place.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Man this hurts. You think year after year that you are used to it, but no, the pain is real. Any advanced stat guy here to explain what went down in the D.C this week?

I tryed the optimistic route this season but im running out of fuel. I just cant opt my way seeing us winning both of the next two, and coming out of 3-0 or 3-1 is too much. Our demons are just too strong.

Beagle was great atleast. Starting Grubauer was the wrong choice this time, but cant really blame him for the loss either. But these are the times we need our goalie to seal the game, or a ”Lars Eller” to score OT goal, and for the millionth time again we are not getting any of that.

I blame the hockey gods. They think its good joke to give us Ovie and then do this year after a year.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I also don't totally agree with the blow it up approach. We've got some young guys who look like they could seriously fill some holes for us, if we just get a coach who emphasis passing and neutral zone play as much as Barry says he emphasis Defense will be a much better team going forward I think.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Come on guys the window is still open. We just need the right coach.

Just kidding its a slow decay from here because no one has the balls to make real moves. Still most of you guys around here should be happy. You got to see the same movie again with all your favorite actors.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Just kidding its a slow decay from here because no one has the balls to make real moves. Still most of you guys around here should be happy. You got to see the same movie again with all your favorite actors.
Laugh all you want. We have a fair amount of young talent. They just can't get ice.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

It might still be the best movie we have a chance to see for the next decade or two. Id give it another rerun or two with a new director and couple side-role castings.

Titanic won a lot of oscars, I would be happiest man alive if this Titanic gets one.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Your post deserves a love instead of a like option.

Reactions: calicapsfan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I can't imagine having Orpik play big Minutes and paying him near 6 mil. He was done in Pittsburgh.

You have to take in account the garbage we went through for defense when the Caps signed him. It was really bad with fringe platoon players. At the time it was for leadership and veteran presence on the blueline. Not to mention, it was buttery soft.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Was an interview with backstrom before playoffs. He said djoos will be great for caps this series

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I love those boards :laugh:

They wanted Grubauer in, Trotz starts Gruby, Gruby plays like ****, but people still blame Trotz. Hypocrites

Blame Trotz for reputation calls?? Wonderful

When you score 4 goals in a playoff game, you should win this one, if not, it's your goalie the problem.
Bob >> Grubauer. And that's the difference. Goalie is the difference in a close series (2 OT in 2 games = close series)

We almost double outshoot them. Per caps fans we should be up 2-0.??? Btw why no one blame CBJ for turtling or maybe should recognize that Trotz system is maybe not that bad???

-----

We were the better team for two games, but lost both. That's frustrating. And the luck is not on our side with the posts.

Last year against Pens, we were able to force game 7 by losing 2 first game at home. ;) I'm not in panic mode yet.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I also don't totally agree with the blow it up approach. We've got some young guys who look like they could seriously fill some holes for us, if we just get a coach who emphasis passing and neutral zone play as much as Barry says he emphasis Defense will be a much better team going forward I think.

Reirdon will be the head coach next season so we all better hope once he is running the show he is different than how he runs the defense now.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Young, inexperienced and physically not there yet....next year should be different hopefully.

Next year the D should look a lot different. Three of either Bowey, Djoos, Hobbs, Seigenthaler or Johansson will be in the starting lineup and Carlson will be in NJ.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
p.s. Winning in it all in this league is hard. It requires a couple of Hall of Fame players, a true number one dman, or a Tim Thomas goalie performance, Caps have never had any these things.

Just enjoy Ovechkin before he is gone is what I say.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

No kidding but that is stupid as hell. You really quit that easy? They lost 2 overtime games. The second of which appears to have been pretty dominating.

We know how this playoff shit works. If the Caps win g3 all the pressure flips into cbj.

Doom. Doom and gloom

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This season will end with Vegas hoisting the Cup as MAF gives the thumbs up to McPhee, who is in a luxury box group-pissing on a Caps division banner with Jim Rutherford.

I am willing to bet on this if anyone wants to lose some money.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Dominate most boxcar stats and some fancy ones, and still lose. It comes down to goaltending, imo. I just wasn't good enough. You can't give up some of those goals, and the PK has to be better against a mediocre Cbus PP that was 17% on the season but is 50% in the first two games (4 for 8). We've taken dumb penalties but they shouldn't have hurt us that bad.

Other than that we got Halak'd/Bob'd.

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
This season will end with Vegas hoisting the Cup as MAF gives the thumbs up to McPhee, who is in a luxury box group-pissing on a Caps division banner with Jim Rutherford.

I am willing to bet on this if anyone wants to lose some money.
Ill bet 100

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Dominate most boxcar stats and some fancy ones, and still lose. It comes down to goaltending, imo. I just wasn't good enough. You can't give up some of those goals, and the PK has to be better against a mediocre Cbus PP that was 17% on the season but is 50% in the first two games (4 for 8). We've taken dumb penalties but they shouldn't have hurt us that bad.

Other than that we got Halak'd/Bob'd.

We're not Halak'd but Bob'd, yes.

Halak was just hot at the right moment.
Bob = 2 time Vezina winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->