Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
No they are literally excuses. Every single goal in the NHL can be described with some "yeah but". Have you ever watched a Caps home broadcast? Locker does this with nearly every goal against and he's been doing it for decades.

These excuses and goals stand out because of their importance to the final score, so they're easier to dissect. What never gets processed are the great saves that, had they not been made, came pre-loaded with several excuses. If Gruby makes the save on the play where the puck hit the stick IN THE NEUTRAL ZONE FFS then we never talk about it again. Plenty of goaltenders make saves like that all year. They're forgotten. The only reason we focus on this particular excuse is because the save wasn't made.

The Cup winning goaltenders don't make EVERY save, as you say, but they make enough of them so there aren't so many of these excuses.

We would never talk about him stoning Wenneberg who is far post on a Boone Jenner pass? That would have been a save of the playoffs so far.

All 3 regular time goals were the result of inept defense. The Wenneberg far post goal. The Brooks Orpik getting manhandled in the crease by Vanek PP goal. The Seth Jones open ice for a country mile on a PP goal.

The only goal I could see an argument for is the OT Panarin goal, but even that was pretty filthy and the result of flat footed d-men.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We would never talk about him stoning Wenneberg who is far post on a Boone Jenner pass? That would have been a save of the playoffs so far.

All 3 regular time goals were the result of inept defense. The Wenneberg far post goal. The Brooks Orpik getting manhandled in the crease by Vanek PP goal. The Seth Jones open ice for a country mile on a PP goal.

The only goal I could see an argument for is the OT Panarin goal, but even that was pretty filthy and the result of flat footed d-men.

I think you are missing the point entirely. I've stated it twice but you're still trying to dissect each individual goal.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I think you are missing the point entirely. I've stated it twice but you're still trying to dissect each individual goal.
I'm dissecting each goal because if your point is that a great goalie steals one of those, my point is two fold, one why do you believe a guy like Holtby can steal those, and two not every goal is "stealable".

For every goal that you're upset Grubi didn't steal there were 10 that he blocked. I'd much prefer safe and consistent goaltending at this point then the crapshoot that is the Holtby gamble. Grubauer saves the ones he should and gets scored on defensive breakdowns, if that's the argument against him I'm okay with riding with him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Scratching Vrana is LITERALLY the opposite of what we need to do. Trotz is indeed a caveman. Vrana had a few turnovers so Trotz, and I'm assuming a few posters on this board who seem to be related to him, see that as reason enough to scratch him.

Even with those turnovers Vrana was one of our three most dangerous players.

3 players that the Jackets seemed to have no answer for, Kuzy, Bura, and Vrana. Now what the hell do those guys have in common?

I mean Vrana used his deadly speed to gift wrap DSP a goal. I bet when Vrana asked why he was scratched instead of DSP Trotz replied, "Well, he scored a goal.:

Lol way to totally dismiss the incredible finish by DSP. To read your description, one would think DSP had an empty net tap in.

Vrana may well have been one of their most dangerous, but that’s just a sad testament to the other players, not some badge of honor.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Lol way to totally dismiss the incredible finish by DSP. To read your description, one would think DSP had an empty net tap in.

Vrana may well have been one of their most dangerous, but that’s just a sad testament to the other players, not some badge of honor.

Agreed that DSP had a good finish and it shouldn’t be downplayed. I’d sooner remove Chiasson or Connolly before DSP (and certainly before Vrana).

Sports are making me angry.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

Was it a goal I could make? Hell no.

Was it a goal that I expect every NHL player to make? Yes, even with Bob sliding across all DSP has to do is lift the puck and keep it nearside. Again, to me that's impossible, I suspect though that every other player on the ice is capable of it.

Is it something I've seen players flub? Sure. But it's a standard goal that the majority of the work is the result of the set up man, it's comparable to the Wenneberg-Jenner goal. Boone Jenner did all the work, Wenneberg just closed the door by finishing off an amazing pass.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How many coaches have been in the league for over 2 decades without having a single one?

Im going to guess.....at least one, without bothering to look over all of NHL history. But hey Poile has only GM’d 2 organizations.

Now run along and prove me wrong. ;)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm dissecting each goal because if your point is that a great goalie steals one of those, my point is two fold, one why do you believe a guy like Holtby can steal those, and two not every goal is "stealable".

For every goal that you're upset Grubi didn't steal there were 10 that he blocked. I'd much prefer safe and consistent goaltending at this point then the crapshoot that is the Holtby gamble. Grubauer saves the ones he should and gets scored on defensive breakdowns, if that's the argument against him I'm okay with riding with him.

NO. Again, for the third time, my point is that these kinds of "yeah but" dissections can be made for EVERY GOALTENDER, EVERY GAME. They are especially meaningless in the playoffs. You either get the job done or you don't.

Consider whether or not these forensic goal breakdowns mean anything compared to what happens around the league.

Dissecting every goal and looking for excuses is a fool's errand. We cannot analyze goals that never happen, and the ones that do happen come pre-loaded with excuses. Multiply this times the number of shots faced by every netminder in every game, and then factor in the shot-blocking or overall play of the team in front of them, and you have a situation where there are just too many unknowns and variables.

You are looking too closely at one goaltender, one game, and a handful of goals. Move on from that mentality and find some other way to measure these players. The bigger picture is more important.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think Trotz is trying to say Vrana had some turnovers and there's nothing he hates more than them. If it suffocates them offensively, so be it.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I think what happened is the very first day they called up Vrana he was heading into to building but he was ahead of Trotz. He felt it was too far away to hold the door for Trtoz so he let it close. Trotz so that he had made eye contact with him so he believed that given the social contract Vrana would remain and hold the door. It was at this point that Trotz decided to ruin Vrana's life

giphy.gif

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m not excited for a new coaching search but I think you have to roll the dice assuming Trotz fails to lead this team to the third round.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad